c***s on the road

8 minutes ago, Empty It said:

All the twats on the A1 slowing down to 20 mph to rubber neck a van that had come off the road.

In fairness, it’s only the first guy to slow down that’s the twat. Everyone else is following the inevitability of having to accommodate that twatted curiosity to secure their own self preservation. 

The article says she claimed she had 5 cocktails. Even if you use the American definition of cocktail, that's 5 shots of spirits, but more likely a minimum 10.

I could accept the argument for letting her off if it was one or two, but she would have been miles over the limit. That's an absolute joke of a ruling.

57 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The article says she claimed she had 5 cocktails. Even if you use the American definition of cocktail, that's 5 shots of spirits, but more likely a minimum 10.

I could accept the argument for letting her off if it was one or two, but she would have been miles over the limit. That's an absolute joke of a ruling.

The story says she was 'only' 1.5 times the limit - seems unlikely after 5 cocktails.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

The story says she was 'only' 1.5 times the limit - seems unlikely after 5 cocktails.

Would be unlikely if they were proper cocktails. Loads of places do shady pre mixed bottles of pre mix for cocktails and you’ll only get one shot of pre-mix per drink. Half a nip of rum and half a nip of Malibu for a half pint of pineapple juice isn’t much stronger than Top Deck. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Would be unlikely if they were proper cocktails. Loads of places do shady pre mixed bottles of pre mix for cocktails and you’ll only get one shot of pre-mix per drink. Half a nip of rum and half a nip of Malibu for a half pint of pineapple juice isn’t much stronger than Top Deck. 

It was Merseyside right enough so you might be right! 

Five single measures of spirit, is the equivalent of two and a half pints of beer. 

In England the drink driving limit is considerably higher than Scotland. 

I also agree the judge showed incredible leniency however. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I wonder how this person would have been sentenced if they weren't an attractive blonde 20 year old?

20230725_102013.thumb.jpg.b93b5c1ba1bb8c9f1f0de4bdeedf2b6f.jpg

Absolutely mental. Pretty gobsmacked at that tbh. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Learners still aren’t allowed on motorways, right?

I'm sure you get taken on it on "pass plus" courses.

It worries me why someone would drive to a nightclub intending to drink alcohol and then not plan on driving home as they decide to work to a “am I really drunk on a 0-10 scale?”. 

“She said that evening she had drunk about five cocktails, alternating with water, since 7pm but claimed it had been a couple of hours since her last drink when she got in the car. 

She said she was a two on a scale of one to 10 in drunkenness, with 10 being 'totally drunk'.

Tests showed Elliott had 49 micrograms of alcohol in 100 milllilitres of breath, the legal limit being 35mg.”

Fcuking disgusting leniency from the judge. 

Surely, if by your own admission on the random 0-10 drunk scale you don’t score 0 then driving is a terrible idea. 

The magistrates are away with it here,  certainly feels like there’s something dodgy in the background to get no punishment.

On 14/07/2023 at 17:04, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm not sure whether it's best to put this here or in the Car Advice thread, but I think this one is technically closer. 

I'd like to learn to drive. Based on what I can see on the government's website if I don't have a passport, I can't apply online: Apply for your first provisional driving licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have to get a form from the post office and send it away along with my birth certificate and national insurance card/payslip/student card. This seems like a bit much. Does anyone have any recent experience of this?

On 14/07/2023 at 19:41, parsforlife said:

Don’t have experience of it so can’t help but the government’s approach to everything post brexit is to desperately try and avoid anyone not British from doing anything and have completely ignored how much of a pain in the arse they are creating for the vast majority who shouldn’t need to prove their identity every 5 minutes.   The amount of times a job is delayed because someone who has maybe left Britain for 2 weeks in their entire life but need to hunt down documents to prove their right to work is an absolute joke.

On 14/07/2023 at 20:04, alta-pete said:

The driving license and passport offices seem tightly linked. Having one gets you an easy renewal of the other. If you’re starting from the ground floor with nowt I’d expect they’d make you jump through all sorts of hoops. Can’t be having these off-grid individuals suddenly getting on the system. 

I've just decided to apply for mine. did it this way, no hassle so far...