c***s on the road

36 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I was driving up the M6 yesterday in the outside overtaking lane doing about 80mph. I see some guy in the middle lane in a black fiesta putting on his signal to get into my lane. He must be doing about 60mph at this point. As I overtake him he gives me the vicky and when he pulls out behind me he is furiously flashing his lights. I soon lose site of him in the distance as he struggles to overtake the other vehicles in the middle lane. 

Made me think, did this guy think that the guy travelling faster than him in the outside lane should brake to let him out just because he signalled? Surely he has to control his own speed by dropping down gears and anticipating that I'll be past him in seconds before he pulls out?

Anyway, c**t!

Too many people cant drive properly on motorways, poor anticipation and inability to judge others speed (usually because the twats havent looked in the mirror for 10 minutes) being the biggest problem areas. 

I reckon they are are same people who drive too fast in built up areas - got the driving licence in a lucky bag types.............

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Is the guy travelling  within the speed limit right? Or is it the guy speeding? 

It's a puzzler right enough. 

Whit? Same rules would apply if I was doing 70 in the outside lane.

Do I have to brake just because he’s decided to indicate?

You don’t have a sluggish black Fiesta do you?

I’m with team @Big Rider on this one. The safest place to be on a motorway is maintaining a speed differential (within reason) to the surrounding traffic that gives you your little bubble of safe space.

On a related point, nothing gives me the fear more than these average speed camera enforced 40mph limits through roadworks. Two or three lanes of traffic with the inability to create your own space and God-knows-who only a couple of feet from your passenger door. Try and create some safe space for yourself and inevitably some twat will come and fill it in for you. 

20 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

That can't be right. That would mean that most drivers in Edinburgh never had right of way.

In Edinburgh, indicators appear to be more like optional extras.

Must have learned to drive over here...

33 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

You might not have had to break at all.

If i need to overtake at 70, and some high blood pressure tit is raging up the outside, they'll be braking. I wouldn’t make them have to slam them on, mainly out of self preservation, but they can just wait till i'm finished overtaking. 

26 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’m with team @Big Rider on this one. The safest place to be on a motorway is maintaining a speed differential (within reason) to the surrounding traffic that gives you your little bubble of safe space.

On a related point, nothing gives me the fear more than these average speed camera enforced 40mph limits through roadworks. Two or three lanes of traffic with the inability to create your own space and God-knows-who only a couple of feet from your passenger door. Try and create some safe space for yourself and inevitably some twat will come and fill it in for you. 

Maintaining that bubble is precisely why normal drivers may need to overake the lorry overtaking at 57 mph in the middle lane, and is made more difficult by antisocial drivers going too fast in the outside lane. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

If i need to overtake at 70, and some high blood pressure tit is raging up the outside, they'll be braking. I wouldn’t make them have to slam them on, mainly out of self preservation, but they can just wait till i'm finished overtaking. 

Maintaining that bubble is precisely why normal drivers may need to overake the lorry overtaking at 57 mph in the middle lane, and is made more difficult by antisocial drivers going too fast in the outside lane. 

There is truth in that, however, it’s not a licence to just blast to the right without a careful evaluation of traffic approaching from the rear for speed differential etc. On the other hand, I’d love to hear how the average UK driver handles the chaos of traffic in countries where undertaking is positively encouraged (certainly better than Germans).

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There is truth in that, however, it’s not a licence to just blast to the right without a careful evaluation of traffic approaching from the rear for speed differential etc. On the other hand, I’d love to hear how the average UK driver handles the chaos of traffic in countries where undertaking is positively encouraged (certainly better than Germans).

By tuttting probably 

4 hours ago, Big Rider said:

I was driving up the M6 yesterday in the outside overtaking lane doing about 80mph. I see some guy in the middle lane in a black fiesta putting on his signal to get into my lane. He must be doing about 60mph at this point. As I overtake him he gives me the vicky and when he pulls out behind me he is furiously flashing his lights. I soon lose site of him in the distance as he struggles to overtake the other vehicles in the middle lane. 

I was driving home on the A92 a few weeks back when a guy in a Leiths van pulled into the inside lane as he had got himself trapped behind a van. A peep of my horn as it was exceptionally dangerous doing so as there was little space didn't eradicate his attitude, when alongside him we partook in some pleasant exchanges of "You're a funking rocket" while he sat there giving me the finger a smugly smiling at me like a village idiot. 

This never tempered my anger and I spent the rest of my journey home pulling out in front of him at every opportunity. It wasn't big and it certainly wasn't clever but a simple hands up apology in the fordt place would have sufficed.

I do some work in Leiths yards and I made it abundantly clear if I ever see him he'll be taking a left hand.

3 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Mick McCarthy Stares at Camera and Smiles | Gifrific

3 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Up here the drivers are generally quite pleasant.

Different story when I ‘dust venture south’ and encounter the aggression of the weege.

Do you drive an orange coloured car?

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Nah, this is total grampa stuff. 

The onus is on the slower car driver to use their own brakes or gears to maintain speed until its safe to come out into a faster lane. They should signal there intent when safe to do so.

Similarly, if I'm in the outside lane and a faster car approaches behind me I just pull into the next lane when its safe to do so and let them get on their way.

I'll leave it to the police to decide if they are travelling 'antisocially' as you say.

The rest of the journey was pretty good. There were hardly any lorries and most drivers pulled over after overtaking therefore i was often in the inside lane, jus keeping that bubble blowing along nicely.

1 minute ago, Big Rider said:

The onus is on the slower car driver to use their own brakes or gears to maintain speed until its safe to come out into a faster lane. They should signal there intent when safe to do so.

Similarly, if I'm in the outside lane and a faster car approaches behind me I just pull into the next lane when its safe to do so and let them get on their way.

I'll leave it to the police to decide if they are travelling 'antisocially' as you say.

The rest of the journey was pretty good. There were hardly any lorries and most drivers pulled over after overtaking therefore i was often in the inside lane, jus keeping that bubble blowing along nicely.

? I didn't say anything about hogging the outside lane or pulling out dangerously. 

You don't get right of way for driving faster. That's bollocks. 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

? I didn't say anything about hogging the outside lane or pulling out dangerously. 

If you're pulling out making people brake then you're pulling out dangerously.

14 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

You were driving outside of the law, had a clear view of a developing situation and if an accident had occurred, you would've shared culpability.

What percentage do you reckon?

I'd say 60%

8 minutes ago, Empty It said:

If you're pulling out making people brake then you're pulling out dangerously.

That works generally but only when the driver can reasonably assume the speed of the other car in the outside lane,  if you look in the mirrors and see ample space to pull out even if the car behind is doing a bit over the speed limit then it can be considered ok.  You can’t expect someone to see a large gap but not move into it in case the car in the distance is doing 120 and is forced to slow down

Edited by parsforlife

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Its what I originally commented on. Black Fiesta man's poor anticipation and his want to pull out could have been very dangerous.

My advice would be to just let the fast guys get by and leave it to the police to monitor. Its always good to let a pace-car take the lead on long motorway journeys.

For weeks, I've noticed vans up and down the M9 with idiot drivers. These all come from Advanced Construction Limited. A fleet of vans manned by roasters, always driving on folks bumpers and all over the place.