c***s on the road

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

If you're pulling out making people brake then you're pulling out dangerously.

No, if you're making people brake unexpectedly and suddenly it's dangerous.

If they've got plenty time to react and just don't like slowing down, then start tailgating and flashing their lights, while gesticulating impotently, then that's a bonus. 

I've got a question for the panel here. 

Often on a motoway there’s a dedicated lane for a left turn, sometimes up to a mile or so from the junction, and marked by shorter, closer dotted lines. 

I've always thought that those mean you're OK to undertake.

Is that right? 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Often on a motoway there’s a dedicated lane for a left turn, sometimes up to a mile or so from the junction, and marked by shorter, closer dotted lines. 

Is that right? 

I believe that if there’s a dawdler doing (say) 50mph appearing to be going straight on then 70mph on the filter lane and undertaking is allowed.

The correct version though is that you should ideally go round the dawdler as an overtake and then come back into the filter. It’s all about anticipation but, as is the name of this very thread, you just can’t trust the other c***s on the road to behave in a way that allows that preferred approach. 

34 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Is that right? 

Yes, as long as you actually make the turn off. If you use it as an undertaking lane then no, that's not cricket.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

No, if you're making people brake unexpectedly and suddenly it's dangerous.

If they've got plenty time to react and just don't like slowing down, then start tailgating and flashing their lights, while gesticulating impotently, then that's a bonus. 

The onus is on the car pulling out to overtake.

Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

• check your mirrors
  • take time to judge the speeds correctly
  • make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
  • take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
  • remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
  • ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
  • be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

For weeks, I've noticed vans up and down the M9 with idiot drivers. These all come from Advanced Construction Limited. A fleet of vans manned by roasters, always driving on folks bumpers and all over the place. 

I've always fancied getting a window sticker that read "Warning: This car is fitted with an automatic feature. The closer you get to it's rear the slower it goes"

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I've always fancied getting a window sticker that read "Warning: This car is fitted with an automatic feature. The closer you get to it's rear the slower it goes"

Just tap out Morse code on the brake pedal, -.-. / ..- / -. / -

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

All in line with what i said, no? 

If you pull out causing someone to brake then I wouldn't say you had correctly judged the speed nor distances.

That was certainly how I was taught when I was learning to drive - don't pull out if doing so would cause another vehicle to brake.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

If you pull out causing someone to brake then I wouldn't say you had correctly judged the speed nor distances.

That was certainly how I was taught when I was learning to drive - don't pull out if doing so would cause another vehicle to brake.

If i'm doing 70 and the car in front is at 65, i've got quarter of a mile of clear road behind me but i can see some bellend closing the distance because they're doing over a hundred, one of us is going to have to slow down. I vote for the other guy. 

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The inability of people to use both lanes and merge in turn in the build up roadworks does my head in. 

I absolutely adore the shithousery of HGV drivers who, in the build up, sit smack bang in the middle of the road to stop boys firing down the closing lane and trying to force their way in.

Pay them EPL wages.

28 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I absolutely adore the shithousery of HGV drivers who, in the build up, sit smack bang in the middle of the road to stop boys firing down the closing lane and trying to force their way in.

Pay them EPL wages.

Nah, get them to f**k. Highway Code is clear, use all available road space, merge in turn. There shouldn’t be 1 big line of traffic a mile back with the other lane sitting empty. 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Nah, get them to f**k. Highway Code is clear, use all available road space, merge in turn. There shouldn’t be 1 big line of traffic a mile back with the other lane sitting empty. 

I agree. It's the sheer audacity that I love.

2 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Stopped at the services in Kinross the other night, and a guy came out of the building with a cockatoo sitting on his shoulder, got in his car and drove off with the bird still sitting on his shoulder. Weird.

My pals auld man who was a mechanic had a parrot that went everywhere with him, the parrot was an evil wee c**t. 

1 minute ago, Soapy FFC said:

Stopped at the services in Kinross the other night, and a guy came out of the building with a cockatoo sitting on his shoulder, got in his car and drove off with the bird still sitting on his shoulder. Weird.

Knew a guy in Wales who did the same, used to walk into pubs with the bird on his shoulder, massive thing. Got a bit annoying after a while, trying to peck everyone and your pint. Could well be the same guy, travelled about a bit.

54 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I was waiting for a punchline there😄