c***s on the road

Compo faces thread crossover

12 hours ago, Swarley said:

7 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I parked my motor on my street but there are new parking rules. Me/my neighbours are getting parking tickets for something we didn't know about. I understand now it is about parking in front of a curb that has been lowered. The new rule must have happened at the same time as parking on pavements.

I emailed Ben Macpherson MSP and complained and his office replied saying they didn't know why I got a ticket but gave me the email for my local Councillors.

I got a reply from Cllr Jack Caldwell (Lib Dem) he didn't understand why but willing to help and from Cllr McNeese-Mechan (SNP) she was the same and willing to help.

The Green and Labour ones haven't replied.

I'm just moaning like fcuk! It's a £50 fine! Parking outside my front door! Been parking there for 20 years!  

If the Local Councillors don't understand why we are getting tickets then how are people in Sheffield going to decide if our appeals are okay or not. 

17 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Yeah so 101 is parking at a dropped kerb (100 is pavement parking and 102 is double parking). Highway code rule 243 says DO NOT stop or park "where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles" so you have been told, and of course obstruction has always been a thing. How would someone in a wheelchair cross the road if all the dropped kerbs were blocked?

I don't know if it was only the police who could enforce this before (given the three new contravention codes), or if the council had the power and just didn't bother much, but you're not going to get off with it unless it's access to a driveway or garage: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2019/17/part/6/crossheading/dropped-footway-parking-prohibition

We shouldn't need to add yellow lines and crossings everyone, if drivers followed the rules and kept places free of obstructions by not dumping their vehicles anywhere they liked. And also, a zebra crossing would mean even less parking given the length of zig-zigs.

I am trying to write a letter and you hate drivers the most. Do you think this will help:

I have lived here for about 20 years and I have never seen anyone get a parking ticket for parking in these spaces but since receiving my ticket I have noticed a half dozen other cars with parking tickets.

I spoke to a neighbour on Saturday and she told me she had seen 3 cars with parking tickets in the last couple of weeks but thought they must be mistakes. I spoke to another neighbour on Sunday and she told she had also received a parking ticket but there is no double yellow line.

People are not deliberately breaking any parking rules, if the situation has changed then it is not something we have been informed about. I think in this instance a warning is suffice and a punishment is too much. For 20 years it has been fine to use these parking spaces and it is not fair to start fining everyone without warning.

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I am trying to write a letter and you hate drivers the most. Do you think this will help:

I have lived here for about 20 years and I have never seen anyone get a parking ticket for parking in these spaces but since receiving my ticket I have noticed a half dozen other cars with parking tickets.

I spoke to a neighbour on Saturday and she told me she had seen 3 cars with parking tickets in the last couple of weeks but thought they must be mistakes. I spoke to another neighbour on Sunday and she told she had also received a parking ticket but there is no double yellow line.

People are not deliberately breaking any parking rules, if the situation has changed then it is not something we have been informed about. I think in this instance a warning is suffice and a punishment is too much. For 20 years it has been fine to use these parking spaces and it is not fair to start fining everyone without warning.

Council file: b1 N

You need to set out facts, what the rules are and either why you don't believe rules have been broken by you or why you believe the council or their subcontractor hasn't followed their rules. 

"it's not fair, i parked here for ages" is a shit ground for appeal. 

5 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Write to the judge!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Obviously I don't know the exact location or the setup of these "spaces" (dunno if you want to share a street view link to an example location, suitably far away to avoid doxing) but if the facts are that you have parked at a dropped kerb/crossing point then I'm not sure how your appeal could be successful.

I've seen councils in the past saying they can't enforce pavement parking or obstruction as it's a police matter, which inevitably led to no action being taken (or the police passing it back to the council). So if they now have the power to enforce it, then you've just been getting away with something that the Highway Code says not to do, for 20 years!

An example of this is drivers in some narrow Portobello streets have been obstructing pavements to allow a one lane space for cars down the middle of the road, for over 15 years. Earlier this year the pavement parking ban came into force which meant drivers parking wholly on the road and one side of the road being made double yellow to keep enough space for emergency services. Enforcement seems to be the only way people will actually follow the rules...

Edited by Ginaro

Dude has never seen a sheep on a country road...

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24302217.nc500-police-issue-speeding-warning-porsche-caught-speeding-142/

"POLICE have issued a speeding warning to those travelling on the NC500 after a man was charged with dangerous driving.

A 43-year-old man driving a Porsche 911 was caught driving at a speed of 142mph on the A832 at Achanalt."

"Throw away the key" time.

6 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Dude has never seen a sheep on a country road...

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24302217.nc500-police-issue-speeding-warning-porsche-caught-speeding-142/

"POLICE have issued a speeding warning to those travelling on the NC500 after a man was charged with dangerous driving.

A 43-year-old man driving a Porsche 911 was caught driving at a speed of 142mph on the A832 at Achanalt."

"Throw away the key" time.

A popular section to absolutely hoon it and a popular section for police to reap the financial rewards enforce the law. One of those roads if quiet 70+ is fine, 143 might be a bit much. 

On 05/05/2024 at 15:44, Jacksgranda said:

I knew a fellow in Coleraine who would chat the legs of a herd of donkeys, a mutual acquaintance said "The best way to deal with Roy is to say 'Hello' and keep going, don't even say it's a nice day, or you'll never get away."

images.jpeg

On 06/05/2024 at 10:18, Mark Connolly said:

Just pay the fucking fine and stop acting like a child

Apologies. I greenied this, then felt bad about it and tried to redress it.

I'm all over the shop

Anyone familiar with the roundabout at the Asda jewell in Edinburgh will know that if you take the exit and are heading towards town/leith(which most people will want to do) you need to be in the right lane coming off the roundabout to go straight at the junction about 1/4 mile past the roundabout. Anyone in the left lane has to go left only towards Duddingston.

So this moron this morning during heavy traffic is less than 10 meters past the roundabout in the left lane which is entirely empty up to the junction and he wants in the right lane which is entirely full due to traffic lights and decides that he’ll just stop and hold up all traffic behind him and indicate to get in the right lane. This meant everyone who wanted to go left was stuck behind him on the roundabout which was now blocked entirely because this man was in the wrong lane and couldn’t drive a few hundred meters and try his luck closer to the junction and allow the traffic to still flow. I’ve never seen such selfish behaviour in all my life. Some amount of abuse he got from people driving past him. 

With a 7 week old baby, I now fully understand why people have "baby on board" signs. Feel like I'm definitely more aware of tailgaters, general arsehole drivers etc. 

Although, it would be more apt if the sign said "there's a baby on board you utter, fucking c**t". 

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

Anyone familiar with the roundabout at the Asda jewell in Edinburgh will know that if you take the exit and are heading towards town/leith(which most people will want to do) you need to be in the right lane coming off the roundabout to go straight at the junction about 1/4 mile past the roundabout. Anyone in the left lane has to go left only towards Duddingston.

So this moron this morning during heavy traffic is less than 10 meters past the roundabout in the left lane which is entirely empty up to the junction and he wants in the right lane which is entirely full due to traffic lights and decides that he’ll just stop and hold up all traffic behind him and indicate to get in the right lane. This meant everyone who wanted to go left was stuck behind him on the roundabout which was now blocked entirely because this man was in the wrong lane and couldn’t drive a few hundred meters and try his luck closer to the junction and allow the traffic to still flow. I’ve never seen such selfish behaviour in all my life. Some amount of abuse he got from people driving past him. 

I use that junction pretty regularly and you're right about it. With the traffic levels nowadays it is a shambles.

It might help if the signage before the roundabout set out the lane arrangements after it, but I'd imagine most users will be regular users and know about it.  I always get into the right hand lane before the roundabout, but the ones I feel sorry for are the ones coming out of ASDA who want to go straight on or right at the next junction.  On occasion it's been easier to go right round the roundabout to avoid being in the left hand lane at all.

There's no room to easily widen the road as there's what looks like a retaining wall for a primary school on one side and a huge branch of The Range on the other.

(Sorry if the issue and details are a bit parochial but if you know the location, you'll know what we are in about!)

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I use that junction pretty regularly and you're right about it. With the traffic levels nowadays it is a shambles.

It might help if the signage before the roundabout set out the lane arrangements after it, but I'd imagine most users will be regular users and know about it.  I always get into the right hand lane before the roundabout, but the ones I feel sorry for are the ones coming out of ASDA who want to go straight on or right at the next junction.  On occasion it's been easier to go right round the roundabout to avoid being in the left hand lane at all.

There's no room to easily widen the road as there's what looks like a retaining wall for a primary school on one side and a huge branch of The Range on the other.

(Sorry if the issue and details are a bit parochial but if you know the location, you'll know what we are in about!)

I’ve been stuck at the Asda for hours on more than one occasion - Friday afternoons are particularly bad so I avoid it like the plague.

Doesn’t really matter how awkward the signage was the guy in the wrong lane should haven considered other motorists and it takes a certain level of c**t to just stop right where he did rather than keep the traffic flow going. He was in a work van so I don’t think he was a stranger to the area.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

He was in a work van so I don’t think he was a stranger to the area.

You should have mentioned that right at the start. That explains it

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’ve been stuck at the Asda for hours on more than one occasion - Friday afternoons are particularly bad so I avoid it like the plague.

Doesn’t really matter how awkward the signage was the guy in the wrong lane should haven considered other motorists and it takes a certain level of c**t to just stop right where he did rather than keep the traffic flow going. He was in a work van so I don’t think he was a stranger to the area.

I agree that there's no excuse for c#ntiness.  If the driver was a CT there, chances are that he's a CT elsewhere too.  

It's also really not helpful to have the only legal exit from a major supermarket loading cars directly on to a roundabout almost at the end of the A1. Still, CTs will act like CTs.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I agree that there's no excuse for c#ntiness.  If the driver was a CT there, chances are that he's a CT elsewhere too.  

It's also really not helpful to have the only legal exit from a major supermarket loading cars directly on to a roundabout almost at the end of the A1. Still, CTs will act like CTs.

Yeah the driver was a c**t - it’s just a brass neck. If you’re in the wrong lane you keep going til you can get out you don’t just disrupt whoever is behind you to get your own way.  There would have been at least 100 cars impacted by it. I was the one who let him in, not because he deserved it of course..

They should surely have erected the Asda elsewhere. Somewhere nearer the QMU. It would be a nightmare living in the new houses there.

12 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

You should have mentioned that right at the start. That explains it

No it doesn’t. Not everyone who drives a work van is a c**t.