P&B Readers' Birds

BFTD

We had a wild Kestrel once (very briefly), which we called Impi (Zulu for warrior supposedly).

The dog found it at the side of a country path where it had clearly hurt/broken it's wing. We tried to phone up the local RSPB but it was closed on Sunday, so we ended up keeping it in the house overnight, watching a film with us. Even had the thing perched on my head for a while before that feeling of talons digging into your skull kicked in.

It didn't try to struggle once and was seemingly happy to be picked up for it's short adventure. The dog didn't seem so chuffed however, probably thinking we were wrapping up a fancy Sunday dinner that he'd found for the evening. I can see how that might be disappointing.

My mum has just reminded me that Sonya got taken to the vet because she kept making a wheezing noise and it sounded like she had something seriously wrong with her.

It turned out that there was nothing wrong with her and she was imitating a friend of my great aunt who had asthma. :lol:

My old neighbour worked for the RSPB. He wanted to have my cat shot, such was his negative impact on the local avian population. The cat could sense the seethe so would frequently leave dead or injured birds - sometimes two or three at a time - outside his front door and then sit across the street to observe and bask in the distress it caused the neighbour when he left the house in the morning. 

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

We had a wild Kestrel once (very briefly), which we called Impi (Zulu for warrior supposedly).

The dog found it at the side of a country path where it had clearly hurt/broken it's wing. We tried to phone up the local RSPB but it was closed on Sunday, so we ended up keeping it in the house overnight, watching a film with us. Even had the thing perched on my head for a while before that feeling of talons digging into your skull kicked in.

It didn't try to struggle once and was seemingly happy to be picked up for it's short adventure. The dog didn't seem so chuffed however, probably thinking we were wrapping up a fancy Sunday dinner that he'd found for the evening. I can see how that might be disappointing.

Kes2.gif

We had a couple of budgerigars when I was a kid. They were fairly shit. The first one died shortly after managing four aerial circuits of the kitchen before abruptly running out of energy and plummeting like a fucking stone into a pot of boiling potatoes.

The second just died overnight in fairly unexciting fashion. While it was alive however it provided frequent hilarity by way of a perfect impersonation of the house phone's ring. I lost count of the number of times my old man got up to answer a non-existent phone call.

Other than that it was a bit rubbish tbh.

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I always feel it seems a little unfair keeping an animal that is born to fly in a cage inside a house, but tbh domesticating any animals and removing them from their families in generals is a pretty weird, and cruel, thing to do I suppose and I still pets so can't really complain.

They will eventually peck the eyes out of their "beloved" owners, and they'll deserve it. Birds give me the creeps, but not as much as their owners.

the-birds-hitchcock.jpg

Unless the government get their way, it's more than likely we'll have wild parrots in our gardens sooner or later.  Ring-necked parakeets escaped from captivity are firmly established in SE England and and spreading quickly, with a few in the parks and leafier suburbs of Glasgow  already.

Initially, it was thought the first hard winter would kill them off, but the species lives quite happily in the foothills of the Himalayas so our winters are a piece of piss for them. Unfortunately, there are moves afoot for them to be culled as an invasive non-native species. Hope it doesn't happen....I want this in my garden:

_93531702_c0267052-ring-necked_parakeets_uk-spl.jpg

Edited by Hillonearth

3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Unless the government get their way, it's more than likely we'll have wild parrots in our gardens sooner or later.  Ring-necked parakeets escaped from captivity are firmly established in SE England and and spreading quickly, with a few in the parks and leafier suburbs of Glasgow  already.

Initially, it was thought the first hard winter would kill them off, but the species lives quite happily in the foothills of the Himalayas soour winters are a piece of piss for them. Unfortunately, there are moves afoot for them to be culled as an invasive non-native species. Hope it doesn't happen....I want this in my garden:

_93531702_c0267052-ring-necked_parakeets_uk-spl.jpg

I didn't know the things had reached Glasgow already. I was surprised to see the things in Hyde Park and a guy I was talking to said they'd got as far north as Birmingham. My sister was sure she'd seen one on Arthur's Seat (insert Kenneth Williams gif here). They also have them in Amsterdam but they aren't London ones that have flown over the sea but a different set. 

Question is- could a parakeet take a scorrie? If so they could take over Scotland! 

20 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Another addition to the dubiously-titled pet threads. It wasn't in NSFW - what did you expect?  :P

The wife's quaker parrot, F'lar, died this afternoon; he was eighteen, and I'd known him since he was a few months old, although he fell out with me in recent years - probably being paranoid, but I think I got the blame for his "mum" being ill. He mimicked the laugh of one of the wife's friends, and would use it when something mildly unpleasant happened to someone, like stubbing their toe...the trolling wee shite. He'd also choose to have a good screech to himself whenever I had a headache. Wasn't much of a talker, but I did manage to teach him the word "chicken", as I'd sing the 'chick chick chicken' song to him and he'd whisper along to himself while headbanging.

Surprisingly down about this TBH. I suppose I'd lived with the little sod for almost half my adult life. Can't really believe that he's not here anymore. Here's a picture of him before a much-needed beak trimming, in all his verdant glory.

Flar.jpg

Your parrot's dead? I'd take it back to the shop. I'm sure they'll be quite understanding. 

5a0f482f1c1e9_deadparrot.jpg.478910806dffb6fb31326334aa90fee6.jpg

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

I didn't know the things had reached Glasgow already. I was surprised to see the things in Hyde Park and a guy I was talking to said they'd got as far north as Birmingham. My sister was sure she'd seen one on Arthur's Seat (insert Kenneth Williams gif here). They also have them in Amsterdam but they aren't London ones that have flown over the sea but a different set. 

Question is- could a parakeet take a scorrie? If so they could take over Scotland! 

A couple of pairs nested this year in Victoria Park and there are some in the likes of Bearsden.

Not that many of them yet, but they're defo in the post.