A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 03/03/2024 at 20:45, Monkey Tennis said:

Looks like it.

Souness' concern is touching.  

He's admiring his handiwork as any Professional Hatchet Man would do. 

The thing about him was that he could play Football when he wanted too as well. 

Edited by Piquet
Got rid of the name that caused a bit of trauma to Monkey Tennis. See below.

9 hours ago, Piquet said:

The thing about Souey was that he could play Football when he wanted too as well. 

Agreed.

However, I'm really struggling to get past your use of "Souey".  Were you a sub-editor on a red-top in a former life? 

On 01/03/2024 at 16:45, Piquet said:

Of course the LFC fans that charged are to blame. I have never said any different, but some of the Dutch or German Ultras were no angels at the time. If they had been there, in the same circumstances, the same thing might have happened. 

I remembering reading a long blog type post on a Liverpool fans forum that had great insight into background and build up to Heysel (not sure I'll ever be able to find it again, so obviously all hear say) BUT that Liverpool fan was quite clear something was going to happen with their particular clubs fan behaviour that was going to get them banned from Europe eventually, although he didn't foresee a Heysel type disaster or that it would impact all English Clubs (another Thatcher decision)

Liverpool has been so successful for so long that these European trips were now concrete fixtures in the calendar for every scally in Liverpool. Every year they attracted the wrong type of people that used the game as cover from travelling, casing mayhem and for organised crime. English gangs would essentially target Jeweller's and the sport shops with the good new casual clothing in each city and use the anonymity and crowds as cover, remember one example of ripping through arcades on stolen mopeds, smashing windows and making a get away.

Liverpool fans also had history with Juve and Italian fans as well that made it the perfect storm, as bad as UEFA and the stadium were, unfortunately this happened because of the 2 particular clubs fans that made the final.

Only 2 weeks before Heysel,  Everton had been in Rotterdam, the home of those Dutch ultras for the CWC final. An English club abroad.

There were 2 English arrests for drunkenness and the fans played football with the police in the main square.

Rotterdam 1985: Everton fans did the club proud - Liverpool Echo

Had Everton been regulars in Europe (stop laughing at he back) it might have been different. But a blanket blame on hooliganism ignores the real contributing factors of Liverpool and Juve fans specifically to the disaster.

Graeme Souness in action for Montreal Olympique against Toronto Metros in the NASL in 1972. The caption writer couldn’t have realised he was L’écossais.

image.jpeg.5cf0b1bfcac27eaa27480493527a9600.jpeg

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Agreed.

However, I'm really struggling to get past your use of "Souey".  Were you a sub-editor on a red-top in a former life? 

I have read about him being referred to as such in a few sources. I thought It was pretty common usage. 

On 03/03/2024 at 16:45, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240303-164313_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.eb55b6fd20d9d341b53c10ee188c9776.jpgScreenshot_20240303-164333_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.eeda604f87dd379fa9f8459dab2de765.jpg

Looking at the photo of Easter Road, and in particular the covered terracing opposite the main stand. Was the grassed area behind it part of the old stadium footprint? I remember my first visit to ER in the early 70s and we entered through the turnstiles at the back of the huge open terracing, it seemed to take forever to get to the top of the stairs. Would I be right in saying that the remnants of these old turnstiles are still visible on the wall surrounding this grassed area? 

7 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Looking at the photo of Easter Road, and in particular the covered terracing opposite the main stand. Was the grassed area behind it part of the old stadium footprint? I remember my first visit to ER in the early 70s and we entered through the turnstiles at the back of the huge open terracing, it seemed to take forever to get to the top of the stairs. Would I be right in saying that the remnants of these old turnstiles are still visible on the wall surrounding this grassed area? 

It seems so from these Canmore images.

https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1676967

erd1.thumb.jpg.bd97738084808805f577ccbd2cadca28.jpg

erd.thumb.jpg.5a0990c2fa20dea42e1db354b78351d0.jpg

Rather like the old east terrace at Hampden massive earthworks were thrown up - on a bowling club and allotments - to create a 'shelf' of extra standing behind the old east terrace.

Original announcement (January 1949):

image.png.ec05d642ac39476f588558a6e20fdd7e.png     image.png.504a46d0e9d1df0f7a68647362485041.png

(Ultimately that wasn't sanctioned and capacity topped out at around 70,000).

Remember this was a time of crowd optimism which seems unbelievable today. Cowdenbeath that same year started raising Central Park's capacity to 70,000-80,000 as "the Hampden of Fife".

Record attendance - 65,860 - came in the New Year game of 1950. (It was just as well capacity had not been permitted well above that as crushing left 2 men dead and over 30 injured). There were supposedly plans to raise capacity to 98,000 by carrying it on round the corners and either end (I'm unsure how!).

It was later removed (1985).

Pre-'shelf':
image.png.700d6fc79984a70df23282a28b68bbd2.png

'Shelf':
image.png.503f5ed882cbefe75b07c55ce5c79353.png

This image from July 1949 shows spoil piling well underway:

Model of old Easter Road - located in the current West Stand - illustrates the layout very clearly:

model-of-old-easter-road.jpg

DC7zIRzXsAEfGow.jpg

2199663498_bee1c8ff04_z.jpg

b25lY21zOjA5MmM3NzQ0LTY1NTgtNDIyNy04ZGYy

Btw 1946:

image.thumb.png.adce255439ece0955a76acbf5669e1d2.png

1958:

image.thumb.png.ffaef0da3430ef007eac9de12f195bce.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Remember this was a time of crowd optimism which seems unbelievable today. Cowdenbeath that same year started raising Central Park's capacity to 70,000-80,000 as "the Hampden of Fife".

It still is to me.

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Rather like the old east terrace at Hampden massive earthworks were thrown up - on a bowling club and allotments - to create a 'shelf' of extra standing behind the old east terrace.

Original announcement (January 1949):

image.png.ec05d642ac39476f588558a6e20fdd7e.png     image.png.504a46d0e9d1df0f7a68647362485041.png

(Ultimately that wasn't sanctioned and capacity topped out at around 70,000).

Record attendance - 65,860 - came in the New Year game of 1950. (It was just as well capacity had not been permitted well above that as crushing left 2 men dead and over 30 injured). There were supposedly plans to raise capacity to 98,000 by carrying it on round the corners and either end (I'm unsure how!).

It was later removed (1985).

Pre-'shelf':
image.png.700d6fc79984a70df23282a28b68bbd2.png

'Shelf':
image.png.503f5ed882cbefe75b07c55ce5c79353.png

This image from July 1949 shows spoil piling well underway:

Model of old Easter Road - located in the current West Stand - illustrates the layout very clearly:

model-of-old-easter-road.jpg

DC7zIRzXsAEfGow.jpg

2199663498_bee1c8ff04_z.jpg

b25lY21zOjA5MmM3NzQ0LTY1NTgtNDIyNy04ZGYy

Btw 1946:

image.thumb.png.adce255439ece0955a76acbf5669e1d2.png

1958:

image.thumb.png.ffaef0da3430ef007eac9de12f195bce.png

My first visit to Easter Road was in January 1971 and we parked in, what I remember to be, a large car park behind the huge terrace. Walked through a lane from there to get to the terrace behind the goal where the away fans were.

On 14/02/2024 at 04:25, AyrshireTon said:

Events definitely conspired against us, although the opening game loss went a long way. Even so, we had chances to go through if other results put us as one of the best 3rd placed teams - 

We needed Germany to beat Colombia, preferably by more than 1 goal. Colombia scored an injury time equaliser.

We then needed South Korea to take a point off Uruguay. After the main live game, the cameras switched and showed us the final minute of injury time - in that moment Uruguay scored the only goal of the game.

We needed both England v Egypt and Ireland v Netherlands to finish 1-0 to someone. For a while, England and Netherlands were 1-0 up and we were heading for a draw of lots with Austria. Then Ireland equalised and it was officially over.

I think I'm still mentally scarred by Italia 90.

It was my first World Cup. 

We should've beaten Costa Rica, despite the line up. Mo Johnston missed a bit of a sitter (having been excellent in qualifying, he developed a new technique of Smash-the-ball-straight-at-the-goalie). Big Rambo missed a pretty easy header and there was a blatant hand ball right in front of me that I'm still bitter about. 

Then we had Leighton's fumblitist against Brazil and Johnston perfecting his Smash-the-ball-straight-at-the-goalie routine with the last kick of the ball. 

With regards to the results going against us: Ireland's equaliser might have been the worst goal of all time. I mean, we're missing utter sitters v Brazil whilst Ireland are getting goals like this crap:

https://youtu.be/Zux93NfUoy0?feature=shared

1 hour ago, tamba_trio said:

We should've beaten Costa Rica, despite the line up. Mo Johnston missed a bit of a sitter (having been excellent in qualifying, he developed a new technique of Smash-the-ball-straight-at-the-goalie). Big Rambo missed a pretty easy header and there was a blatant hand ball right in front of me that I'm still bitter about. 

Then we had Leighton's fumblitist against Brazil and Johnston perfecting his Smash-the-ball-straight-at-the-goalie routine with the last kick of the ball. 

With regards to the results going against us: Ireland's equaliser might have been the worst goal of all time. I mean, we're missing utter sitters v Brazil whilst Ireland are getting goals like this crap:

You forget just how dull  that Ireland team under 'Big Jack' was..

Edited by kennie makevin

1 hour ago, tamba_trio said:

That goal for Ireland resulted in the Dutch goalie, Van Breukelen, being dropped for the quarter final v West Germany....however, he ended up in goals for the game when Dons keeper Theo Snelders pulled out of the team due to the physchological affliction - shitting himsel'. 

A great Dutch team made up of players from the great AC Milan team of the time, PSV, Barcelona, Ajax and of course Aberdeen - their forward line for much of the second half was Gullit, Van Basten and Gillhaus.  Gillhaus and Snelders had played in a much bigger game 6 weeks earlier beating Celtic 9-8 in the Scottish Cup Final

I was also at the Costa Rica game and dont want to talk about it..........

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

The Costa Rica game wasn't the first time I cried as a child, but was the first time I repressed a memory. That match only ever existed on Wikipedia as far as I'm concerned.

That game was a formative and profound primary school experience for me. That and finding out everyone dies one day.

On 05/03/2024 at 13:20, ScottyDee1893 said:

My first away game (other than Tannadice) was at Easter Road at the 3-3 Scottish Cup game in 1974, a few days before my 11th birthday. 

I banged my head getting thrown over the turnstile, over 30,000 there and a great game, brilliant stadium and atmosphere. 

9 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I was also at the Costa Rica game and dont want to talk about it..........

I was on one of the Grigor trips and the only bit I enjoyed was a Dundee United supporter battering him.