What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

the Premiership being run like a cartel meant you got a second crack of the whip rather than just being straight relegated like in any normal league.

Theres only one division in the SPFL thats a "cartel" scenario in terms of relegation, and its not the top flight.

6 hours ago, bennett said:

Am I the only person who doesn't watch build ups and switches over just before the game starts. 

1.45 hours would have me snoring. 

I would’ve watched it when I was younger but aye, f**k that. 

Totally padded out with ‘features’, sycophantic player/manager interviews, fan voxpops and long, drawn out punditry.

No thank you.  

6 hours ago, bennett said:

Am I the only person who doesn't watch build ups and switches over just before the game starts. 

1.45 hours would have me snoring. 

100% 5 minutes before to get the teams & off when you know there not been a fight at FT.

For Scottish games, as soon as Rangers or Celtic get their 2nd go do something else.

Cup final is a bit different though, Road to Hampden etc.

7 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The FA Cup final is going to have 1 hour 45 minutes of buildup on BBC One Scotland. The Scottish Cup final is getting half an hour.

Expecting 30 minute interview of Big Ange with absolutely no substance then.

7 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The FA Cup final is going to have 1 hour 45 minutes of buildup on BBC One Scotland. The Scottish Cup final is getting half an hour.

I miss the days when the Cup Final build-up involved shots of the pipe bands marching around the turf, a half hour special from Glen Michael, in-depth looks at both sides' run to the final and interviews with local shopkeepers etc.

Edit - like this from 1980 (the famous riot final).

1980CupFinalTV.thumb.jpg.9bceff14b6d22f39fd8d7312eb91b49f.jpg

Edited by AyrshireTon

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Seems about right. How long do you need to have just to say, 'Inverness really need to score first to have any chance". 

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

I miss the days when the Cup Final build-up involved shots of the pipe bands marching around the turf, a half hour special from Glen Michael, in-depth looks at both sides' run to the final and interviews with local shopkeepers etc.

A full 20 minutes of Archie MacPherson describing the cup final atmosphere.  What a prospect.

Unsure how to choose between Russ Abbotts Madhouse or the analysis of the Scottish Conservative conference in the evening though.  Decisions decisions.

I did used to watch and enjoy the build up to the Cup Final regardless of who was playing (they had a fitba quiz show one year :lol:) - but that was before we were over-saturated with football on TV. Now we are all so used to the same people coming out with the same pish and I have the sneaking suspicion that the build up will consist of Jonathan Sutherland basically saying "Why are Celtic so good Neil?" for the duration means that I'll turn on to watch the teams come out, enjoy the first 3 - 8 minutes and turn off once Celtic score. 

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Whereas, I 100% would watch the build-up if there were three no-glamour old school British wrestling bouts interspersed in amongst the slo-mo montages of Kyogo.

"Ask 'im ref!"

5 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

That City of Towers looks good. The boy was spot on.

There were no bears getting a bj that night.

When did the Cup Final Singles trend die out?

We had a rather unseemly uptempo version of "Oh, When the Saints" in 1987.

For younger viewers it may be necessary to explain that the program titled "BJ and the Bear" wasn't what you're thinking

I'm old enough to remember when neither Scottish or FA Cup Final was shown live in Scotland and around about 9:30 am when England was 'treated' to interviews with the players on the coach to Wembley and 'Its a Cup Final Knockout' viewers in Scotland settled in for crown green bowling from Anstruther and suchlike until 5 0'Clock.

6 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Cartoon cavalcade with special guests Derek Johnstone and Danny McGrain, Viaplay will never be able to compete with that.

6 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

The biggest surprise for me is that Russ Abbot's Madhouse was on in 1980. I thought it started around 1982.

1 hour ago, btb said:

When did the Cup Final Singles trend die out?

We had a rather unseemly uptempo version of "Oh, When the Saints" in 1987.

I normally remember this sort of trivia pish - but I have no recollection at all of 'Well doing one in 1991.