What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

53 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

We have a winner:

Steven Naismith has been named Heart of Midlothian's technical director because his lack of Uefa Pro Licence means he cannot be appointed manager.

The 36-year-old cannot begin to obtain the licence until next year, so Frank McAvoy has been named head coach.

So effectively: “he cannot officially manage the club but we’ve created a sham position to flout the rules” 😂

57 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

We have a winner:

Steven Naismith has been named Heart of Midlothian's technical director because his lack of Uefa Pro Licence means he cannot be appointed manager.

The 36-year-old cannot begin to obtain the licence until next year, so Frank McAvoy has been named head coach.

To be fair, is that not a "Most Tinpot Thing We've Seen in UEFA" candidate really?

The SPFL would have allowed it.

26 minutes ago, The Master said:

One for @Skyline Drifter to figure out for the "In the hot seat" thread. 

Fecking feckity feck!

Not a scooby what I'm going to do about that. My inclination given Hearts have made it very clear that in reality Naismith is in charge, is that he should continue to be considered manager in the thread. I bet he has final say on picking the team etc and, assuming he gets a Pro Licence next summer, and is still there, I expect that will be formalised. Surely nobody really thinks Frankie McAvoy is in charge.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

15th in the Lowland League Cowdenbeath getting invited into the League Cup instead of Stirling Uni must be well up there. 

Yeah, I have no idea why Cowdenbeath are in it.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

15th in the Lowland League Cowdenbeath getting invited into the League Cup instead of Stirling Uni must be well up there. 

It'll be the last time we ever see them in the League Cup, so maybe it's just a nice gesture. Give them Dundee United, Arbroath, and Dumbarton again, just like in their first campaign.

Albion Rovers will be fizzing if they're ignored in a year's time.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

They're the last side to have been relegated from League Two. I'm guessing it's a fudge to avoid choosing between the Highland/Lowland leagues.

Pretty funny considering how poor Cowden were last year.

Edited by BTFD

Just now, BTFD said:

It'll be the last time we ever see them in the League Cup, so maybe it's just a nice gesture. Give them Dundee United, Arbroath, and Dumbarton again, just like in their first campaign.

As will Brechin if they're ignored as second in the Highland League next season. It's worth not far off 40k, same as the bribe offered to Conference (RIP) volunteers. 

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Hadn't actually picked up on that. I didn't pay enough attention to the Lowland League outwith top spot. Didn't realise they weren't next. Is there any justification they've actually issued for that then?

7 minutes ago, BTFD said:

They're the last side to have been relegated from League Two. I'm guessing it's a fudge to avoid choosing between the Highland/Lowland leagues.

Pretty funny considering how poor Cowden were last year.

The HL and LL second finishers have been taking it in turns the last 2 years with no dispute. This is just weird. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As will Brechin if they're ignored as second in the Highland League next season. It's worth not far off 40k, same as the bribe offered to Conference (RIP) volunteers. 

Presumably this will end up being a stealth issue that annoys people/clubs more as we get closer to the new season, with the press and SPFL ignoring it as diddy stuff that nobody cares about.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hadn't actually picked up on that. I didn't pay enough attention to the Lowland League outwith top spot. Didn't realise they weren't next. Is there any justification they've actually issued for that then?

Just this. 

Cowdenbeath, who were relegated from cinch League 2 in 2022, have accepted an invitation to take the remaining space in this year’s first round group stage.

5 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Presumably this will end up being a stealth issue that annoys people/clubs more as we get closer to the new season, with the press and SPFL ignoring it as diddy stuff that nobody cares about.

I found it a bit staggering how little media coverage the farcically unfair conference proposal got, didn't even get a mention on A View from the Terrace, I'm sure this will be the same. You SPFL boys don't know you're born.. 😁 

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's worth not far off 40k, same as the bribe offered to Conference (RIP) volunteers. 

It's not worth as much as that. Assuming they get 5th it's only £22k (or was last year, I doubt prizes this year will be significantly higher). Even 2nd and not reaching last 16 is only £29k.

Still, a guaranteed £22k is not to be sniffed at considering how many other Lowland league sides (discount the B sides obviously) finished above them even before you mention the other Highland League sides. I'm really not sure how that's justified as an invite. Presumably it can only be as the most recent relegated SPFL side but that's not the precedent. I guess the fact Rangers and Celtic B were 2nd and 3rd is a complication. Doesn't explain why Stirling Uni or Buckie weren't asked though (I'm assuming that every club between 3rd and Cowdenbeath were not asked and declined the invitation!).

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not worth as much as that. Assuming they get 5th it's only £22k (or was last year, I doubt prizes this year will be significantly higher). Even 2nd and not reaching last 16 is only £29k.

Still, a guaranteed £22k is not to be sniffed at considering how many other Lowland league sides (discount the B sides obviously) finished above them even before you mention the other Highland League sides. I'm really not sure how that's justified as an invite. Presumably it can only be as the most recent relegated SPFL side but that's not the precedent. I guess the fact Rangers and Celtic B were 2nd and 3rd is a complication. Doesn't explain why Stirling Uni or Buckie weren't asked though (I'm assuming that every club between 3rd and Cowdenbeath were not asked and declined the invitation!).

I was told that every Highland League club was initially told that every non B conference club would get a League Cup spot, when that was withdrawn interest pretty well evaporated. So it's financially significant just for the group stage. 

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I found it a bit staggering how little media coverage the farcically unfair conference proposal got, didn't even get a mention on A View from the Terrace, I'm sure this will be the same. You SPFL boys don't know you're born.. 😁 

It's the same every year with the Celtgers reserves - big splash in the press about how colts/B teams/whatever are coming to the SPFL long before they/the SPFL/the SFA actually give the clubs any official details about what they've got planned, then silence after discussions take place and it becomes obvious they're going to be told to bolt again. Cue a small "not happening after all" paragraph in the papers, followed by gnashing of teeth from the paid mouthpieces about 'Scottish football' being held back by the diddies yet again.

We don't factor into the equation.

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is potential gate money on top of that, I don't know how it works?

Edited by welshbairn

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is potential gate money on top of that, I don't know how it works?

Yes, fair point. Gate money on top. I was thinking of the prize money only. 4 half gates for Cowdenbeath will obviously depend who they draw but could potentially be worth another five figures. Not if they get Ross County and Inverness likely but I guess the likes of the Dundee clubs, Dunfermline or Falkirk, Raith would all be money spinners for them.

Edited by Skyline Drifter