The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I'd describe the wind as "shite game" rather than "game off"  level.

However if this rain keeps up as forecast until 3pm and beyond I'm struggling to see how the park wouldn't be waterlogged 

Yeah, the wind isn’t remotely bad enough IMO but wouldn’t be surprised if it was waterlogged as it isn’t meant to stop all afternoon. 

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

I can already tell the conditions will be the reasoning behind Muirhead being in midfield again and the defence shelling the ball up the park at every opportunity.

Depressingly predictable. 

“It’s a battle” - so we need to play someone that kicks people and is unable to complete a five yard pass. 

12 hours ago, eez-eh said:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/purplefrogg6/ayr-united-top-5-scorers-since-9899

In case any of you are having as wild a Friday night as I am.

94 the score to beat, didn’t do too well with the earlier seasons but seeing some of the names I should have gotten a few more.

Crickey the past two / three years have made me forget that we actually used to be able to score goals

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I would agree all day about good recruitment at any level of the game. I bore myself saying what amounts to the same thing on here time and time again. 

Arbroath have benefitted no doubt from some excellent loan signings alongside a nucleus of good honest, hardworking pros. 

You watch them play and there's an understanding throughout the team, they seem to play with a purpose and belief. It's simple effective football, nobody goes missing, every player has a hunger, humility and honesty to their play. I really hope they can continue to rattle teams further up the league, who knows where it could take them. 

I still think that full time teams should have a massive advantage over part time teams over the course of a full season however. There should however be a definite gap between full time teams and part time teams. It would be interesting to know Arbroath's weekly wage budget, I suspect it wouldn't be close to an average full time Championship team. 

That Arbroath are still top is definitely an indication that the other teams, ourselves included, are falling short of the standards that they should be hitting. Whatever's being done needs looked at urgently and reassessed.

Arbroath have the best goal difference in the league, have the most shots on target and concede the fewest shots on target. This is no fluke. 

We had a go as a part time team in the Championship not that long ago. It didn't go well.

If Dick Campbell gets Arbroath promoted he should be the manager of the season and every other season they hand out the award. Huge credit to him and the club. 

Currently the gap is narrower between part time and full time than i remember before. Although these things go in cycles and it could change. Part of the reason for this is some of the bigger teams in the championship not fully turning up for years. There have a been a few title winners stuttering over the line as other teams can't put a run together. Other large teams like Falkirk and Dunfermline to name a few haven't played to the level of their expenditure. Arbroath have taken advantage of this and punching way above their weight. Part of that reason could also be Campbell being given the time and room to build up a team with less expectation than other managers. Whilst he is no doubt a good boss over the course of his career it hasn't always been too rosy. Some really good players in the Arbroath team and it will be interesting to see if any get a move.  Reckon many of them will have good jobs out of football and are probably getting a decent part time wage that will pay more than certain full time contracts elsewhere