The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, Toepoker said:

I seem to recall Ayr United beating Celtic 3 times in the same season, our last season in the top flight of Scottish football. I was present at at least 2 of these games. I recall watching Ayr play Celtic in the cup that year in Glasgow, it was nil nil approaching the end and we left 2 minutes from the end to beat the traffic to hear on the car radio that Ayr had just scored the winner in the last minute. Johnny Doyle was the star for Ayr and gave Celtic endless problems which came to an end when Celtic bought him from us and we ended up being relegated never to return to the top flight.

You mean not yet ;).

Beating them three times in a season must have been some buzz. I would have been raging to have missed the Ayr winner in the cup game.

My Papa went to games from the 1940s right up to the late 2000s. I used to love talking to him about Ayr United teams, players and matches that he'd seen. Our talks about Ayr United are one of the things I miss most.

He would have loved big Dipo, and be buzzing about us having a chance to get to a semi-final regardless of who we would get.

28 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

You mean not yet ;).

Beating them three times in a season must have been some buzz. I would have been raging to have missed the Ayr winner in the cup game.

My Papa went to games from the 1940s right up to the late 2000s. I used to love talking to him about Ayr United teams, players and matches that he'd seen. Our talks about Ayr United are one of the things I miss most.

He would have loved big Dipo, and be buzzing about us having a chance to get to a semi-final regardless of who we would get.

Ayr had a great team in the 1970's and always pulled out good performances against the old firm. It was a lack of consistency that ended their good run with being part time and having a small squad and then losing their best players to bigger teams. This has been the most enjoyable season for Ayr for a long time. This time Ayr are full time and have a reasonable size of squad with back room staff that give good support, so I'm hopeful that this good run can continue.

1 minute ago, Toepoker said:

Ayr had a great team in the 1970's and always pulled out good performances against the old firm. It was a lack of consistency that ended their good run with being part time and having a small squad and then losing their best players to bigger teams. This has been the most enjoyable season for Ayr for a long time. This time Ayr are full time and have a reasonable size of squad with back room staff that give good support, so I'm hopeful that this good run can continue.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the future for Ayr United. Being full-time and having a chairman and managing director on board who have ambition for the club has gone a long way towards that. It feels like we're trying to make progress rather than treading water from season to season.

I had a convincing dream that Ayr beat Celtic in the final. McGinty and Akinyemi with the goals.

Very occasionally Celtic are simply rank rotten in cup games when they're murdering the league. The cup semi against County is one time. The final against the Blighted Denizens Of The East was another.

Anyway, I'll neither be watching nor listening to Monday's game, seeing as that for once in their entire lives the football pundit community seems to have grown a spine and a set of ethics. With any luck my phone will ping with the right sound effect a couple of times.

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

I had a convincing dream that Ayr beat Celtic in the final. McGinty and Akinyemi with the goals.

Very occasionally Celtic are simply rank rotten in cup games when they're murdering the league. The cup semi against County is one time. The final against the Blighted Denizens Of The East was another.

Anyway, I'll neither be watching nor listening to Monday's game, seeing as that for once in their entire lives the football pundit community seems to have grown a spine and a set of ethics. With any luck my phone will ping with the right sound effect a couple of times.

Have they said they won’t be showing it or are you missing it in solidarity with Gary lineker? 

39 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Have they said they won’t be showing it or are you missing it in solidarity with Gary lineker? 

I find the prospect of anyone boycotting their own teams match in solidarity with Lineker a bit far fetched. 

15 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I would be quite interested to see the Sean McGinty stats comparable to other centre halves in the league… 

@RandomGuy.if you happen to be incredibly bored, I should just really buy a package for myself tbh. 

This is what my daft system gets.

Anyone any idea what ever happened to the Ayr Analysis Twitter page btw? Seems to have sort of vanished again.

Spoiler

This season

mcgin1.thumb.png.f86ee4e92efaea552230e3de2f490c03.png

Last 5 seasons

mcgin2.thumb.png.b482fbffbfcdf3a67b3706ed52755cbc.png

So aye. Great in the air, average/below average 1v1 defender.

Does nothing flashy on the ball but competent enough at it all. Threat at set plays.

All round just an average Scottish Championship CB who's right on the borderline to be ~okay in the top flight for a team battling relegation if the set up around him was alright and covered his lack of 1v1 ability, so a high chance its just wrong saying that and Championship is his level tbh.

Spoiler

mcgin3.thumb.png.530dd839f26947e3f533c77b13206f9b.png

Edited by RandomGuy.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is what my daft system gets.

Anyone any idea what ever happened to the Ayr Analysis Twitter page btw? Seems to have sort of vanished again.

Hide contents

This season

mcgin1.thumb.png.f86ee4e92efaea552230e3de2f490c03.png

Last 5 seasons

mcgin2.thumb.png.b482fbffbfcdf3a67b3706ed52755cbc.png

So aye. Great in the air, average/below average 1v1 defender.

Does nothing flashy on the ball but competent enough at it all. Threat at set plays.

All round just an average Scottish Championship CB who's right on the borderline to be ~okay in the top flight for a team battling relegation if the set up around him was alright and covered his lack of 1v1 ability, so a high chance its just wrong saying that and Championship is his level tbh.

Hide contents

mcgin3.thumb.png.530dd839f26947e3f533c77b13206f9b.png

Thanks for this! Very interesting - I thought he would rank relatively poorly one v one etc as he can be clumsy at times - probably didn’t think quite that poorly though but ultimately you don’t see enough of other CB’s to get a proper picture. 

Definitely average championship style player, who you especially want playing against the more direct sides in the league. 

I had actually completely forgotten about the Ayr analysis page, but yeah nothing for over a year now!

4 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I just assumed they wouldn't be showing it tbh. It's been bad enough even trying to find reference to it when it's actually been on.

10 hours ago, Thumper said:

I beat Celtic 4-1 in the League Cup Final on FM23. Akinyemi hat trick and O'Connor got the goals.

Played them in the league a couple of weeks later and got gubbed 4-0, but wasn't caring about that. Glory was achieved.

In seriousness, as you said, Celtic have form for choking in cup games when they're blowing the league away. Hopefully that happens again.

18 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I just assumed they wouldn't be showing it tbh. It's been bad enough even trying to find reference to it when it's actually been on.

Surely they will still show it? I mean it may be a better thing without having to listen to the likes of Crichton, Foster, Stewart, McLeod, Bell etc etc. We can hear the Ayr songs loud and proud 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

beat Celtic 4-1 in the League Cup Final on FM23. Akinyemi hat trick and O'Connor got the goals.

I got Celtic in the semi finals and scraped a 1-0 win. Dempsey was the scorer.

Hibernian in the final. 2-1, scorers being Ashford and Akinyemi.

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I had actually completely forgotten about the Ayr analysis page, but yeah nothing for over a year now!

Aye its a shame, enjoy when accounts below the Premiership appear as nobody really covers them at all this way (unless im missing someone obvious?). Twitter is virtually completely EPL or Rangers/Celtic.