The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
19 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
Hopefully this is correct.
On the other point of us spending lots last season,well again, I'm just not buying this.
McDaid, Crawford and even Shankland were all League 1 players, they weren't proven Championship standard and prior to our good run clubs weren't exactly falling over themselves to offer them deals so I don't believe for one minute that they were all on crazy wages.
Smith possibly, as he was highly regarded, however without knowing budgets it could easily be argued that the four mentioned above were among our highest earners and all have now departed the club, so the way I see it is we MUST have money available as we surely find ourselves in a better financial position after a good season in the Championship than we did after our title winning season in League 1 ??

I really think McCall is using the media and the fans to put pressure on the board, if he seriously thought after last season he would be back to fighting for the players no one wants and fighting relegation again I think he would have ridden off into the sunset after Inverness, by that time he will have known what the budget for this season was and have targets in mind.

Agreed. There is maybe also a bit of frustration from him that we have ‘perhaps’ again missed out on a few potential targets. Not that our wages would ever compete however finishing fourth should have convinced a few existing players from the league we were an option. Expect it will be the fans getting called out next to buy more season tickets etc so he can afford an extra player or two

6 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Agreed. There is maybe also a bit of frustration from him that we have ‘perhaps’ again missed out on a few potential targets. Not that our wages would ever compete however finishing fourth should have convinced a few existing players from the league we were an option. Expect it will be the fans getting called out next to buy more season tickets etc so he can afford an extra player or two

Fair amount of truth there , there’s no way we could afford to pay wages that the top 6 teams are , they are averaging approx 1500 fans more than us on a weekly basis , we need to live within our means or end up like Gretna ( when only really one guy pumping in money ) a  number of fans on this page if  they were running a business would been bankrupt very very quickly 

Edited by Robbo63

5 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I posted last week about this being a buyers market as there will be lots of players who will soon find themselves in the position of Liam Smith last year, for that reason I firmly agree that we certainly shouldn't be throwing silly money at players such as Doolan who are now in the twilight of their career and if the likes of Dundee or Dundee Utd want to start chucking money at journeymen then we most definitely shouldn't be getting involved in a bidding war and just leave them to it.

As I say, I don't know where this £175,000 budget cut figure has come from, but I do hope it's just conjecture / fantasy as in our position that would likely equate to the wages of 4 senior first team players for a season.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Quite: it’s perfectly feasible that if you’re in competition with any of Partick, Dunfermline, Dundee and Dundee Utd for the same players, those clubs could all still offer substantially more money than Ayr even if your budget had increased.

I find the idea that Ayr have cut their budget to be the smallest in the league more than a bit fanciful, when you consider that there’s an additional part-time team in the league and Morton, who at an educated guess probably had the 8th biggest budget ahead of Ayr in 9th last season, are making enormous cuts.

I would have thought we were 7th biggest last season ahead of Ayr, Queens and Alloa. 

You can look at  Ayr and to a  much lesser extent Morton ( we were still pish but i guess finishing 5th was a decent finish in the end) overachieved last year as well as Falkirk, Thistle and Dunfermline massively underachieving.

This year, I would imagine a budget table would look like;

Dundee United/Dundee/Thistle.

ICT/Dunfermline.

Morton/Ayr/Queens.

Arbroath. ( paying out more money than Alloa I've bee told)

Alloa

Ayr last season, Livvy the season before and Morton the season before that have shown that budget isn't everything and anyone can reach the playoffs in this league!

Like the last few years, 8 teams will probably fancy their chances of a top 4 finish.

I don't know how I would feel if I was the Moff, Geggan, Bell, Kerr if I was getting told you need to cut wages as your getting older and will have less playing time when we are trying to bring in Doolan who was on the bench for a team fighting relegation until the last game of the season and is of a similar age to them and would likely come in as one of the top earners, would i welcome Doolan signing yes but I'd rather have some one younger with potential to kick on and maybe have sell on value.

The club also spent a lot more on doing up the ground than any other period of time I can remember, new PA system, #thenewwall and new electronic scanner gates.  All to make the ground Premiership compliant.  There was a cost to our overachieving. 
I pretty sure the wall and PA system were funded by the lottery but yeah this new electronic ticket system has probably cost a fortune.

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

Just seen the post McCall is not quoted saying has vastly reduced budget he's says we are competing with teams with bigger budgets, the person writing the article says it's reduced, don't know if the post is adding 2+2 and getting 5

AP Journo is a SRE knicker wetter...........probably / hopefully :D

I go back to our disappointing attendance. We were top for ages but we didn't see any great improvement.

The town just isn't backing the team enough unfortunately, as infuriating as that is.
Is the AU500 thing some kind of scheme for fans to put money into the club? If so it doesn't help that some fans a few pages back are considering pulling out. It's times like these our wee clubs need their fans to stick together.

3 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, pandarilla said:
I go back to our disappointing attendance. We were top for ages but we didn't see any great improvement.

The town just isn't backing the team enough unfortunately, as infuriating as that is.

Is the AU500 thing some kind of scheme for fans to put money into the club? If so it doesn't help that some fans a few pages back are considering pulling out. It's times like these our wee clubs need their fans to stick together.

I don’t pay into. It’s another form of “give us your money with nothing in return”. If there was a share option or say members got a vote on 1 representative bring a board member then it’s something I would consider. Season tickets, shirts, sponsorship, merchandise, supporters club membership, it all adds up then ask for a monthly direct debit on top. 

22 minutes ago, honestly united said:

AP Journo is a SRE knicker wetter...........probably / hopefully :D

He’s probably the most in the know person around the club. If he thinks/knows the budget has been reduced, then it would most likely be true. 

3 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

In fairness I'd think the majority will stick by the club like they always have done. Ultimately we don't really expect much as this generation and probably the last have only ever known us as a League 1 / Championship yo yo club in any case and last season was ultimately just a little teaser of what we all hope rather than expect to happen.

As said, we don't even know if these stories are accurate but it indeed True, it does feel pretty deflating going from our highs and optimism of last season to a harsh reality of potentially fighting out a bottom three spot with the part time whipping boys.

But, even so, we'll get over it..............

53 minutes ago, rb123! said:
4 hours ago, itzdrk said:
The club also spent a lot more on doing up the ground than any other period of time I can remember, new PA system, #thenewwall and new electronic scanner gates.  All to make the ground Premiership compliant.  There was a cost to our overachieving. 

I pretty sure the wall and PA system were funded by the lottery but yeah this new electronic ticket system has probably cost a fortune.

How would it cost a fortune ??? Previously had to pay to have season ticket books printed , normally a number unsold thus wasting money printing , had to pay turnstile operators and staff to manually accept payment at gates or sell  tickets , now the fans buy online at no cost to club ,( apart for adapting website) stewards who currently stand at gates will now scan your ticket , this is a definite money saving project !!

Apparently you're after Scougall again, but on a part time contract as hes wanting to start a career outwith football.

Sounds like shite as I didn't think you ran with part time players?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently you're after Scougall again, but on a part time contract as hes wanting to start a career outwith football.

All depends what he wants to do outside of club , we have a number of players who have other jobs , which they do around their football schedule , Moore, Moffat, Bell, Adams to name a few 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To be honest we will run with anything it’s a player of the right quality. Part timeish wages might also suit us right now also if we get a good player out of it 

We have a few that have jobs outside football most being personal trainers but Bell has a job and big Jamie spend most of the time on his farm, as long as the player can commit to the football when required I see no problem.

How would it cost a fortune ??? Previously had to pay to have season ticket books printed , normally a number unsold thus wasting money printing , had to pay turnstile operators and staff to manually accept payment at gates or sell  tickets , now the fans buy online at no cost to club ,( apart for adapting website) stewards who currently stand at gates will now scan your ticket , this is a definite money saving project !!
I have my doubts but hope it is saving the club money, probably won't see any saving benefits until a few years down the line. Also pretty sure the turnstile staff weren't paid, were given free admission to the match instead.

He been released from Carlisle?