P&B Hospital

17 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Prize (to be decided what) on offer for first who can correctly guess the result of my impending chest X-ray.

pneumonia

Bad AIDS

punctured lung

lung full of emulsion

lung cancer

anthrax

ebola 

need to man up/windows down

Knowing you the x-ray machine will fall and crush you.

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

Glad you're OK, but curious about what's wrong with beta blockers. I take one to prevent migraines and, frankly, I think I'd rather kick off than have to come off it now.

Took about a quarter of a century to get prescribed them, and I dread the idea of going back.

Also take them but to slow heart rate, take Nortriptyline for migraines. Have read that betas are also meant to work for migraine but didn't seem to in my case, just count myself lucky like yourself that I found something that finally worked as I think I'd be 6 feet under by now otherwise.

17 hours ago, BFTD said:

Glad you're OK, but curious about what's wrong with beta blockers. I take one to prevent migraines and, frankly, I think I'd rather kick off than have to come off it now.

Took about a quarter of a century to get prescribed them, and I dread the idea of going back.

It’s interesting you have your for migraines, I didn’t know they were used for that.

I just don’t like mine because when I first started taking them, I could feel my heart slowing down and I found it very slightly more difficult to breathe. It was off the back of having blood clots in my lungs though, so I might be unfairly mixing up the symptoms.

Edited by Jambomo

On 03/11/2023 at 17:46, Shandon Par said:

Prize (to be decided what) on offer for first who can correctly guess the result of my impending chest X-ray.

pneumonia

Bad AIDS

punctured lung

lung full of emulsion

lung cancer

anthrax

ebola 

need to man up/windows down

Sure it wasn't KRH being back in the match day squad he can make anyone breathless.

• 4 weeks later...

My ring finger on my left hand constantly throbs in cold weather.

Im thinking it could be arthritis. If i am driving i normally have to hold my hand over the heaters for some relief.

Im reading online about finger pain and lung problems being connected and i dont breath so well so maybe there is something in it.

2 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

My ring finger on my left hand constantly throbs in cold weather.

Im thinking it could be arthritis. If i am driving i normally have to hold my hand over the heaters for some relief.

Im reading online about finger pain and lung problems being connected and i dont breath so well so maybe there is something in it.

That'll be your current/future spouse thinking about how they're going to spend your life insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting hernia surgery this week.  I've had it for several years, it's given me no problems but recommendation is to get it fixed sooner rather than later to avoid any complications down the line.  

I've never had an operation before - any P&Bers got any advice etc.  I'm getting it in a private hospital, the NHS punted me over to them to help clear the backlog (bed blocking b*****d etc).

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm getting hernia surgery this week.  I've had it for several years, it's given me no problems but recommendation is to get it fixed sooner rather than later to avoid any complications down the line.  

I've never had an operation before - any P&Bers got any advice etc.  I'm getting it in a private hospital, the NHS punted me over to them to help clear the backlog (bed blocking b*****d etc).

The old split like a kipper, or key hole version? Keyhole is a piece of pish, although you'll look like a gangland stabbing victim. If it's the old way, you're more like a Jack the Rippers work.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The old split like a kipper, or key hole version? Keyhole is a piece of pish, although you'll look like a gangland stabbing victim. If it's the old way, you're more like a Jack the Rippers work.

Assuming, as Sarge suggests, if a keyhold and a mesh repair, just remember to strictly limit your lifting and straining during recovery…and, yes, that includes taking a shite. Be very deliberate getting up the first few days and after that it’s just a slow work back.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Assuming, as Sarge suggests, if a keyhold and a mesh repair, just remember to strictly limit your lifting and straining during recovery…and, yes, that includes taking a shite. Be very deliberate getting up the first few days and after that it’s just a slow work back.

I've had both, neither very successful. Or it might be new hernias. The split like a killer say was the worst. I've got a scar from sternum to belly button.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've had both, neither very successful. Or it might be new hernias. The split like a killer say was the worst. I've got a scar from sternum to belly button.

Sad to hear, Sarge. The mesh has supposedly improved in the past decade, but the results before that were marginal. Get a tattoo of a locomotive running along it?

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A scar from sternum to belly button after a hernia operation? Sounds like the surgeon got confused with where the hernia is. 

I had a laparoscopic mesh repair on an inguinal hernia at the Jubilee in May. Has been pretty successful ie after a few months could pretty much do what I couldn't before and it's visually gone. They glued my cuts and they took ages to heal with 2 of the 4 getting infected but got there in the end. Have had laparoscopic surgery before and it was stitches and they healed in no time. If you get an option I'd taje stitches over glue.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

A scar from sternum to belly button after a hernia operation? Sounds like the surgeon got confused with where the hernia is. 

Genuinely, not far off. The surgeon discussed it, he wasn't a believer in new fangled ideas, preferred the open method. Must've been about 20 years ago. No mesh at that time either, just internally fixed/stitched. That didn't last and was repeated by keyhole, which was better. I've never had any pain issues, just some bulges. 

What some people think is a hernia is Diastis recti, which is, basically, your six pack muscles separating down the middle, fat and organs then push through. It's what many beer bellies are.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Genuinely, not far off. The surgeon discussed it, he wasn't a believer in new fangled ideas, preferred the open method. Must've been about 20 years ago. No mesh at that time either, just internally fixed/stitched. That didn't last and was repeated by keyhole, which was better. I've never had any pain issues, just some bulges. 

What some people think is a hernia is Diastis recti, which is, basically, your six pack muscles separating down the middle, fat and organs then push through. It's what many beer bellies are.

I was believing you until you spoke about a six pack.