Kieran Tierney

6 hours ago, Satoshi said:

You really took a break from pretending you don't read my posts to post that?

It looks like there is a 7% gap in their overall minutes. If Tierney hadn't been ill and had played the full 90 in the Europa League last week as expected the gap would be....1 minute.

So yeah "blown past him" indeed.

It's not embarrassing in the slightest, I said let's see and there's every likelihood that it will end up pretty close. The poster who said Tierney was third choice behind Tomiyasu made an egregious, obvious, factual error that you didn't comment on but you will pull me up for a prediction that is (currently) 7% out. Can't say I'm surprised. Tierney was ahead in my first post and everything I said was 100% factually accurate. A factual error would be saying he is well out the picture when he has the 10th most minutes of any outfield player - you did that at the time and I'm surprised you're willingly bringing it up again.

Maybe best course of action from here will be going back to pretending you don't read my posts.

I'm glad I spent 30 seconds of my lunch break reading this. It really has made my day so much more fun.

Tomiyasu has clearly played far less games this season at left back than Tierney. (This season, or any season).

So Tomiyasu is Arsenals second choice left back, in the same way the sky is green.

Not surprised some posters buy into this obvious fallacy.

And we all know why some posters are so desperate to talk down our players they will buy into these falsehoods. Can't be a healthy mindset.

23 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

He’s one dimensional. Tomiyasu has more to his game and is the second choice LB.

This is Tierney’s contribution -

Run down the wing, cross it in, get injured for 10 games.

That's funny you know, it sounds a bit like your contribution to this sub-forum -

Throw out some bad bait, get no bites, stay away for a week then back with the same bad bait.

I actually think with that tonight it’s at the point where Arteta is treating him pretty poorly. 

Tierney plays every Europa game, Arsenal do well - Tierney is ill last week, Zinchenko starts and sells a goal - Zinchenko starts again. 

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I actually think with that tonight it’s at the point where Arteta is treating him pretty poorly. 

Tierney plays every Europa game, Arsenal do well - Tierney is ill last week, Zinchenko starts and sells a goal - Zinchenko starts again. 

Yeah I am pretty surprised, he played the games up till now, so I thought he’d get these ones.

I can only guess Tierney has made it clear he wants away, though you’d think they’d want him in the shop window at least a little bit.

On 02/03/2023 at 18:48, craigkillie said:

He'll likely have two Europa League starts before the Scotland games.

On 02/03/2023 at 21:09, BingMcCrosby said:

The further they get in the Europa, the more seriously they will take it. Meaning the less likely Tierney will play. As hes nowhere near a first choice now.

On 02/03/2023 at 23:45, craigkillie said:

The only way I can see them taking the Europa League properly seriously is if they have already won the title, or if they have a calamitous collapse and are completely out of contention. It's always going to take the back seat to their first league title in nearly two decades.

Not often right craig, but your wrong again 🥱

3 hours ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Tomiyasu in to replace White for Europa but Tierney not trusted to replace Zinchenko.

Good news for 3rd choice Tierney now though as Tomiyasu goes off injured.

Some laugh to keep flogging this dead horse.

How wrong can one man get?

43 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Not often right craig, but your wrong again 🥱

You're*.

I suspect nobody knows why Tierney didn't make an appearance, we can only speculate. Maybe he still hasn't fully recovered from illness, maybe he has told Arteta he wants to leave end of season, maybe Arteta thinks the tactical benefit of Zinchenko playing there is something the team can't afford to lose.

Regardless of the reason, it didn't work. They were poor both games and deservedly knocked out, a mistake by still quite a young coach. Tierney could have made the difference.

No doubt of course that he will start for Scotland and I expect he will play very well as he usually does. Despite all the doom mongers (and there is a lot who post 100% negative comments) he's still an excellent player and one of our best. This season will be a bit of an anomaly in his career but he will probably end it will a well deserved league winners medal.

I assumed the "unless he gets injured or ill" part would have been taken as read, but there you go. That was pretty bad luck for Tierney in the first leg, but not playing tonight would have been a big blow given that he'd played in pretty much every other Europa League game.

They certainly weren't taking it properly seriously, they weren't at full strength tonight - they made 5 changes from the league game at the weekend, including leaving Odegaard, Partey and Saka on the bench, and ended up getting knocked out as a result.

He is definitely going to be rusty coming into these internationals now, assuming he isn't brought in out of the blue to play in a league game at the weekend, which seems unlikely unless Zinchenko is missing.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I assumed the "unless he gets injured or ill" part would have been taken as read, but there you go. That was pretty bad luck for Tierney in the first leg, but not playing tonight would have been a big blow given that he'd played in pretty much every other Europa League game.

They certainly weren't taking it properly seriously, they weren't at full strength tonight - they made 5 changes from the league game at the weekend, including leaving Odegaard, Partey and Saka on the bench, and ended up getting knocked out as a result.

He is definitely going to be rusty coming into these internationals now, assuming he isn't brought in out of the blue to play in a league game at the weekend, which seems unlikely unless Zinchenko is missing.

Injured player on the arsenal bench? That's what your going with?

Exactly what I said would likely happen happened, and exactly what you said definitely wouldn't happen, happened.

But your not wrong 🤣

Edited by BingMcCrosby

On 14/03/2023 at 14:51, Theroadlesstravelled said:

He’s one dimensional. Tomiyasu has more to his game and is the second choice LB.

This is Tierney’s contribution -

Run down the wing, cross it in, get injured for 10 games.

Given the fact he can play centre back as well would suggest he isn't one dimensional at all.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

At least he'll have a point to prove. Expect him to hit the Cyprus game like a train. One that only goes for about 65 minutes.

It's possible he is still suffering the effects of illness and it doesn't help that Arteta seems to consider Zinchencko their best player and a necessity if they are looking to score. For what it's worth though I think Arteta and Arsenal made a complete mess of that last night, 30 minutes longer than they wanted, had to bring all their main men on which completely broke their structure and still got beat. They would have done better to pick him.