The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Max confirmed as the winner. Right choice but feel a bit for Leclerc - wouldn't have been bothered had it been Hamilton, Bottas or Vettel but would have been nice to see him take his first win.

So much for the ‘Ferrari International Assistance’, who by two totally contradictory verdicts on what a driver can do with their car have actually stopped them from claiming either win this month.

According to the driver's it was purely temperature related.

Seems odd that it hasn't occurred anywhere else though. Maybe a perfect storm of this being one of their weaker tracks so they're not miles out in front getting that ooh so good clean 'cool' air

The Ferrari engines finally offer a better power option than Mercedes on the grid, so a (mostly) point and squirt track like Austria or Bahrain can give them an edge. Mercedes have cleverly focused their development to aerodynamics which is why they've still got a far better all-round package though. No idea how Verstappen found that race pace yesterday other than having fresher tyres.

Despite the entertainment yesterday Formula 1 badly needs the return (and requires use) of refueling to bring back another strategy/f**k-up element to the sport instead of the one-stop tyre management between obvious pit windows right now. With DRS it's far more plausible for cars to sprint between multi-stops on low fuel now and make the strategy work, instead of getting stuck behind Trulli for 25 laps like they would fifteen years ago. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The Ferrari engines finally offer a better power option than Mercedes on the grid, so a (mostly) point and squirt track like Austria or Bahrain can give them an edge. Mercedes have cleverly focused their development to aerodynamics which is why they've still got a far better all-round package though. No idea how Verstappen found that race pace yesterday other than having fresher tyres.

Despite the entertainment yesterday Formula 1 badly needs the return (and requires use) of refueling to bring back another strategy/f**k-up element to the sport instead of the one-stop tyre management between obvious pit windows right now. With DRS it's far more plausible for cars to sprint between multi-stops on low fuel now and make the strategy work, instead of getting stuck behind Trulli for 25 laps like they would fifteen years ago. 

I can't see refueling being brought back purely due to the risk element of it.  Although they could obviously try to find some way to make it safer than it was previously, I'm not too sure what.

On the subject of safety I was sure at the start of 2018 they banned pitstops under 2 secs due to the number of incidents in prior years with cars leaving with loose wheels, however I heard them talking about a sub-2 sec pit for Williams in France (I must've been sleeping when that happened).  Is there a regulation in place for this?

On the subject of Williams they are clearly going to be at the back for a while but they need to drop Kubica, he's an embarrassment.

Edited by Dindeleux

On the subject of Williams they are clearly going to be at the back for a while but they need to drop Kubica, he's an embarrassment.

He’s done remarkably well to come back after his accident but he’s clearly not up to the job. No point in having a 33 year old who has no f1 experience in the last 7 years running around at the back

12 hours ago, virginton said:

I think that is the case, more point and squirt and less aero corners the more Ferrari are closer- see Canada too. Temperatures might have played a further part.

Verstappen's pace was ridiculous, they called it right and DRS helped him overtake. Oh and either Verstappen is on another level or Gasly was woeful too. Surprised if Gasly isn't empted soon.

Refueling was meant to be brought back in 2017 but team owners are against it as it is cost and danger and they say it leads to more 'pit stop passes' rather than on-track. I think DRS has changed that though. 

21 hours ago, Jason King said:

Gasly and Kubica will not be on the grid next season, Gasly is offering about as much as I would in the Red Bull.

Gasly looked decent at times last season but could probably have done with another year at Toro Rosso. He only got promoted because Ricciardo jumped ship - although he'd had some impressive performances there was nothing that screamed out he should have been moved up when he was.

Think it's time for Red Bull to look outwith their young driver programme for a year or so for the main team as they've pretty much run out (which is why three drivers have been brought back in over the last few years) and there's no one ready to step up.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Gasly looked decent at times last season but could probably have done with another year at Toro Rosso. He only got promoted because Ricciardo jumped ship - although he'd had some impressive performances there was nothing that screamed out he should have been moved up when he was.

Think it's time for Red Bull to look outwith their young driver programme for a year or so for the main team as they've pretty much run out (which is why three drivers have been brought back in over the last few years) and there's no one ready to step up.

I agree. They lucked in with Vettel and Verstappen, and to a lesser extent Danny Ric but I can’t see any promising talent coming through. Maybe Bottas to move next year when Ocon gets the second Mercedes seat?

On another note, does anyone else see Vettel retiring at the end of the season? It’s not going his way and he doesn’t have the same fight about him especially now that he has a team mate who isn’t scared to challenge him. Can see him calling it a day. 

Edited by IainMorton

Oh you absolute beauty, Haas has just been "dumped" by rich energy.

No doubt to try and throw Investigators off the obvious money laundering, but very funny bone the less.

Stated their reason was because it is "unacceptable" to finish behind a Williams and they are better than that. 😂😂😂😂