The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Just now, Gianfranco said:

They should be forced to pit 5 times in Monaco. The only interesting thing about it.

They need to bring refuelling back to give the option of more stops and more things for Mercedes to f**k up at them. 

Just now, flyingscot said:

What an awful few laps for Mercedes. 😂 Genuinely think their strategists are lucky they've been so far ahead at times. 

They at least got Hamilton in fresh air, f**k knows what he was doing on his out lap but that's not their fault. 

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
Hamilton really can't handle things when he's not winning. Delicious.

Nothing better than hearing him seething.

Your annual reminder that this is the only race where FOM does not control the world feed, and it shows.

That was an interesting stalemate before the pit stops - basically everyone was waiting as there was no gap to make a pit stop up front, only Hamilton had that luxury but it didn't work.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

They at least got Hamilton in fresh air, f**k knows what he was doing on his out lap but that's not their fault. 

Agreed it was fresh air but being first to blink is a risk that you don't get the tyre temps up and get done by others who react 

This has been absolutely awful "entertainment". It's literally been watching a team unable to take off a tyre and that's it. None of the drivers even bothered about getting close to anyone else.

I'm slightly annoyed at myself for wasting 2 hours watching that. Fair play to the drivers for all getting round their laps without any of them binning it, but waiting for someone to lose concentration or a wheel nut to jam isn't exactly entertainment.

My terrible idea to improve Monaco - I can't see how they could change the track enough, so they should use generic cars for Monaco. They need smaller, slower cars and less dirty air, so they could borrow the F2 cars or something like that.

It's just not worth watching any more, in future I'll probably just watch the 7 minute highlights on YouTube.

That was absolutely dire. Must be a long time since not one single driver hit the barriers during the race at Monaco (I know Leclerc did it yesterday).

Not even a decent battle with someone having to defend - Norris was never really troubled by Perez.

And the one bit of excitement happened when the sodding director cut away from it.

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Monaco clearly unsuitable for modern fast, wide cars. Ultimately it's seen as one of the jewels but they could shorten the race as it is dull. 

Shortened races would be arguably worse, it would reduce the chances of pits/strategy going wrong and be more of a procession IMO.   Perhaps that’s what monoco should become.  A Tour de France esq end of season “race” that everyone knows doesn’t matter and can just be about the fans/event.

If you want to make that track an exciting race,  then let’s start adding spikes, explosions etc for the drivers to avoid