A View From The Terrace.

2 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Sadly I remember that game.

Keepers rarely score & but teams don't concede that often from the counter attack.

Maybe if keepers went up every time when 1-0/2-1 down they'd be more used to it when its needed. Then again maybe opposition team would be get used to countering it.

Just now, Steve McQueen said:

Keepers rarely score & but teams don't concede that often from the counter attack.

Maybe if keepers went up every time when 1-0/2-1 down they'd be more used to it when its needed. Then again maybe opposition team would be get used to countering it.

Keepers going up for corners are usually more of a hindrance than a help. They think because they ran the length of the pitch to get involved, they need to go all out to get their head on the ball, and either give away a free kick for barging a defender or get in the way of one of their own players who is in a better position to score. 

8 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The only one I can remember is Kurtis Byrne scoring down at Palmerston when County won 5-3- he hit it from inside our own half after a Queens corner.

Far too many refs blow the final whistle when they're halfway up the park on the counter, which should be an instant sacking.

This isn't really a spoiler as the football part of the story is peripheral to the core of the novel...

This tale features a scene near the end where a keeper goes up for a corner when the Ayrshire Cup Final approaches Fergie time.

My issue is that the score is 1-1. The keeper is playing for the underdogs, and they are down to ten men.

In those circumstances, the keeper would never go up for a corner. Never.

What then follows from the corner, and more importantly for the finale of the novel, in the aftermath of the corner, barely registered with me as I was so SEETHING at the dramatic liberty being taken.IMG_20210124_214224.jpeg

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Had paused the BBC Scotland channel at the end of Still Game, as I had a few errands to run. About 10 minutes ago I got back into my living room, got myself comfortable and grabbed the remote to press play, but accidentally changed the channel. 😑 Anyone with Sky will know how easy this is to do, and how much it hurts. 

I was just coming to terms with the fact I would need to wait until it appeared on iPlayer, when I noticed that the show was in my recordings. That was a negative, quickly followed by a positive to cancel out the negative. 

It was repeated on BBC One shortly after 

2 minutes ago, afca32 said:

A good show. I would encourage the fans making substitutions idea as it would quickly highlight the fact that supporters, for the most part, do not know better than the manager.

Apart from if your manager is James McPake.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Good show last night.

@Francesc Fabregas pay no attention to Joel Sked. Those joggers are excellent, I too have a pair, very smart. Although I did appreciate Joel's jumper, paying homage to my (and P&B's) recently deceased cat Diego. Very touching.

One thing I cannot abide is the hypocrisy of social-media users. One minute they're all: "Be kind! You don't know what the person behind the Twitter account has been through!"; the next they make fun of your clothes and say you dress like a man who tarmacs driveways.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

One thing I cannot abide is the hypocrisy of social-media users. One minute they're all: "Be kind! You don't know what the person behind the Twitter account has been through!"; the next they make fun of your clothes and say you dress like a man who tarmacs driveways.

Well, this may be the case here mate. Since some of my family are from the community famous for making quick work of driveways. 😄

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’m absolutely all for goalkeepers coming up for corners. Pleased to be in the elite club of people who have seen one score for their team - and not even just a header straight from a corner either...

I wouldn't like this idea.

I would prefer Jack Hamilton learned how to win balls in his own box first.

29 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’m absolutely all for goalkeepers coming up for corners. Pleased to be in the elite club of people who have seen one score for their team - and not even just a header straight from a corner either...

It should be mandatory.  All teams who are a goal behind who get a corner with less than 2 minutes to go should be obliged to send the keeper up.  So much entertainment.

The first touch of the keeper here. Joyous.

22 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It should be mandatory.  All teams who are a goal behind who get a corner with less than 2 minutes to go should be obliged to send the keeper up.  So much entertainment.

The first touch of the keeper here. Joyous.

I am visible in that video but thankfully the camera flies off before it catches me through the gate and on to the park 😂

I think that goal was in injury time to give us a 2-2 draw at Victoria Park in a run of the mill Division One game. Celebrated it like we’d won the league.

15 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I am visible in that video but thankfully the camera flies off before it catches me through the gate and on to the park 😂

I think that goal was in injury time to give us a 2-2 draw at Victoria Park in a run of the mill Division One game. Celebrated it like we’d won the league.

Matt Glennon who you got from us?