A View From The Terrace.

11 hours ago, Molotov said:

Excellent piece about Dyce.

I absolutely hate them - and now I work there. Put us out the Scottish after we goy the better of them with a jammy goal. They won the final something like 5-1. :(

29 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Like that doesn’t happen with other clubs at any level. 😂 

Yes, but other teams aren't boasting about the talent they've had come through. Especially when some of those were barely there a year having developed elsewhere.

On 31/03/2023 at 22:57, Alert Mongoose said:

@RiGon the ICT bit there with the earrings.

:lol:

I'm sure the guy you are referring to is Alan Douglas who was a well known opponent of the merger but also happened to be a mad Rangers fan who posted sectarian comments on a Rangers website. 

Edited by RiG

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Yes, but other teams aren't boasting about the talent they've had come through. Especially when some of those were barely there a year having developed elsewhere.

They did a section on Hutchison Vale one year who do pretty much the same thing.

I also had no Idea John Viola was Scottish. Would see the name in gossip columns thinking he would be some swarmy rolex and suit type but he came across as a nice genuine guy.

Enjoyed the bit on the ICT merger. I went to the 2015 final with my ex’s Thistle-supporting dad. I referred to them as Caley at one point and got telt, at the time I knew the two clubs had merged but had no idea it was such an unpopular decision for so many. I also didn’t realise it was all a bit one-sided on the Caledonian half, so I can see why Thistle fans are a bit fucked off when folk refer to the new club as just Caley. 

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

Enjoyed the bit on the ICT merger. I went to the 2015 final with my ex’s Thistle-supporting dad. I referred to them as Caley at one point and got telt, at the time I knew the two clubs had merged but had no idea it was such an unpopular decision for so many. I also didn’t realise it was all a bit one-sided on the Caledonian half, so I can see why Thistle fans are a bit fucked off when folk refer to the new club as just Caley. 

I went to school with a boy who supported caley thistle in secret. Turned out his old man was a Thistle fan who opposed the decision and refused to let his son attend matches.

On 31/03/2023 at 22:57, Alert Mongoose said:

@RiGon the ICT bit there with the earrings.

I'm sure he would be in primary when this was shot. Most of the guys will be in their 60s or deid...

2 hours ago, RiG said:

:lol:

I'm sure the guy you are referring to is Alan Douglas who was a well known opponent of the merger but also happened to be a mad Rangers fan who posted sectarian comments on a Rangers website. 

Aye that's him. AD was one half of the editorial team of the world's greatest fanzine but around the time of the merger I believe he was reading Mein Kampf...

The references on the cover of LSM 8 are when somebody grassed up Jim Leishman for drink driving after leaving the Rannoch Lodge and he lost his licence.

image.jpeg.e67f4627f6ccf80905481141cf925a4f.jpeg

image.jpeg.b31134e71f0bfe278f43b27fc2d1a2a0.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

6 minutes ago, smpar said:

That was a good piece, highlighted the dichotomy well, some fans embracing the new team through gritted teeth, others refusing to come to terms with the concept. 

Interesting to see the footage of the old ground bouncing at a big game (I'm presuming it was Sportscene coverage of a cup tie at Telford Street?)

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

That was a good piece, highlighted the dichotomy well, some fans embracing the new team through gritted teeth, others refusing to come to terms with the concept. 

Interesting to see the footage of the old ground bouncing at a big game (I'm presuming it was Sportscene coverage of a cup tie at Telford Street?)

It's a bit confusing as they've mixed up a few things including both parks.
The big crowd is Caley 2 St Johnstone 2 in 1992. There's also a goal from a friendly between Caley and St Mirren, a bit of the last ever derby, and a derby at Kingsmills.

26 minutes ago, smpar said:

The soor-faced Thistle fan in the shirt was rewriting history there when he said the members weren't consulted. They had a meeting and Thistle voted 33-12 to go ahead.
Caley rather surprisingly voted 55-50 as many people expected their members (season ticket holders) to reject it. 
After a campaign by the Caley Rebels including a pitch invasion at Rothes, a second meeting was held at which the result was 250-236 amid claims that the Caley committee had given away free memberships and threatened the players etc etc.
But Caley were a much larger club and Thistle were the junior partners. It's inevitable that a lot of people will call the club Caley for short without meaning any offence.

32 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

It's a bit confusing as they've mixed up a few things including both parks.
The big crowd is Caley 2 St Johnstone 2 in 1992. There's also a goal from a friendly between Caley and St Mirren, a bit of the last ever derby, and a derby at Kingsmills.

The Kingsmills game was the 4-0 Falkirk win in the Scottish Cup in 1979. There were cameras there as it had been postponed 3672345 times and had become quite famous.

7 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

The soor-faced Thistle fan in the shirt was rewriting history there when he said the members weren't consulted. They had a meeting and Thistle voted 33-12 to go ahead.
Caley rather surprisingly voted 55-50 as many people expected their members (season ticket holders) to reject it. 
After a campaign by the Caley Rebels including a pitch invasion at Rothes, a second meeting was held at which the result was 250-236 amid claims that the Caley committee had given away free memberships and threatened the players etc etc.
But Caley were a much larger club and Thistle were the junior partners. It's inevitable that a lot of people will call the club Caley for short without meaning any offence.

It’s definitely inevitable, clubs are so often shortened to one part of their name; Spurs, Villa, Forrest etc, but I think it’s fair for the Thistle half to feel like their own history and part in the current club is minimised or even ignored. 

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

It’s definitely inevitable, clubs are so often shortened to one part of their name; Spurs, Villa, Forrest etc, but I think it’s fair for the Thistle half to feel like their own history and part in the current club is minimised or even ignored. 

Absolutely.

And when they play in blue, at your rival's park, with mostly their players, you can see why Jags fans were a little irked, perhaps even vexed by it.

Full disclosure: I was a Kingsmills regular as a lad.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The Kingsmills game was the 4-0 Falkirk win in the Scottish Cup in 1979. There were cameras there as it had been postponed 3672345 times and had become quite famous.

Cheers, wondered about that old footage. But there's a derby sandwiched in there too, which I think is from Sept 93, won 2-0 by Thistle, although they showed a crappy bit of play whereas I know the two goals were filmed.
The last game between them was Telford St in May 1994 where they show the teams coming out and a really scrappy bit of the action but not Billy Urquhart's winning header which obviously I would have preferred...