English Premier League 2019-20

39 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’d say if you come along and break every record going, you merit a claim to be the best. Last seasons point total would have won Liverpool the league every other year except another one, the previous 100 point record breaking city team, who were touted as the best. They’re on course to beat the 100 points this year and I’d be surprised if they didn’t. They’ve lost once this calendar year, back in January to City and look like they could go this season undefeated, as well as being in the mix to win the European cup again.

Solid at the back and frighteningly good going forward. They’re certainly the best team I’ve seen play in the premier league.

They are a great side but the comparisons are unfair when you consider the changes in football to what it was back in the 60/70/80's.

It's the same when considering Messi/Ronaldo to Pele/Maradona You're talking about World 11's (sometimes even World Class squads of  25), better pitches, better (user friendly) matchballs, more subs allowed, far more stringent refereeing and laws on tackling. The great sides of the past were also restricted to 2/3/4 foreigners.

So far I would rank this Liverpool team ahead of Arsenal's invincibles - that team had 10 points fewer than Liverpool at the same point in the season, drew 12 matches overall, finished with 90 points and were 3 points behind Man Utd as late as the 20th game of the season. They'll need to see out the season of course, but going undefeated is overrated when you're drawing as many games as Arsenal did.

9 minutes ago, Cyril Sneer said:

It has been a frightening 1st half of the season Gordon the record books getting torn up.

52 points from 54. 27 wins and a draw from the last 28. 1 defeat in a season a half. Unbeaten at home in nearly 50 games. 

Anyone for a Lolverpool ? ... :D

I don't know where this "record books being torn up" thing comes from - they have exactly the same record that Man City had at the same stage 2 years ago, but 10 fewer goals scored and one more conceded. That City side was also still in the League Cup.  Far from being unprecedented, it's not even the best record in the last three seasons.

This is a great run, but not more than that yet.

I don't know where this "record books being torn up" thing comes from - they have exactly the same record that Man City had at the same stage 2 years ago, but 10 fewer goals scored and one more conceded. That City side was also still in the League Cup.  Far from being unprecedented, it's not even the best record in the last three seasons.
This is a great run, but not more than that yet.

They’re just fun to watch. Of course, Liverpool fans being Liverpool fans, everything turns to hyperbole because they have to be the most.

2 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

If we are looking at Liverpool’s success as a team, it’s worth flinging in winning the Champions League trophy, something which Arsenal’s Invicibles and Guardiola’s City failed to do. An extraordinary achievement.

Agreed, though a cup win is more open to luck, or to turn on a small number of moments, than a league. Man City were better than Liverpool in the past two seasons.

Got to say, I have a soft spot for Liverpool and this is a great team to watch. I just think the achievements of those who delivered season after season outweigh those who manage it for a year or two. For example, Alexander Arnold is a brilliant player, maybe the best attacking right back in the world right now, but Gary Neville won that league 8 times, plus two Champions Leagues, three FA Cups and two League Cups. Consistency, pushing through poor form, gritting your teeth when results are going against you, digging deep into the well to find motivation again and again and again even after you've won the lot. He's got a long way to go to join that club.

Agreed, though a cup win is more open to luck, or to turn on a small number of moments, than a league. Man City were better than Liverpool in the past two seasons.
Got to say, I have a soft spot for Liverpool and this is a great team to watch. I just think the achievements of those who delivered season after season outweigh those who manage it for a year or two. For example, Alexander Arnold is a brilliant player, maybe the best attacking right back in the world right now, but Gary Neville won that league 8 times, plus two Champions Leagues, three FA Cups and two League Cups. Consistency, pushing through poor form, gritting your teeth when results are going against you, digging deep into the well to find motivation again and again and again even after you've won the lot. He's got a long way to go to join that club.
Agreed but getting to the final 2 years in a row suggests an enormous amount of luck, or a high quality team.

2 minutes ago, killie_lad said:

Of all the decisions they should’ve overturned this season they’ve decided that one was THE clear and obvious error emoji38.png FFS. Missed it anyway

Oh just f**k off VAR. juusst f**k off

Softest penalty I've seen all season.

3 minutes ago, killie_lad said:

Of all the decisions they should’ve overturned this season they’ve decided that one was THE clear and obvious error emoji38.png FFS. Missed it anyway

Oh just f**k off VAR. juusst f**k off

The penalty is the right call, but the retake can go take a flying f**k to itself, encroachment by inches, if thats a VAR definite then i await VAR punishing every defender holding a strikers shirt at a corner

Appears to be encroachment by the defender. There was a Man City player who was even further in the box than he was. Never a penalty either for me. Slightest touch on his shoulder and he’s thrown himself down, ref had it right not to give it.

Was it not retaken for encroachment by the defenders rather than anything the keeper did? Despite the fact a Man City player (other than Sterling obviously)was further in the box than any of them.

If there’s encroachment from both sides a re-take is meant to happen if the penalty is scored or missed.

10 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Appears to be encroachment by the defender. There was a Man City player who was even further in the box than he was. Never a penalty either for me. Slightest touch on his shoulder and he’s thrown himself down, ref had it right not to give it.

Its not the touch on the shoulder its the wolves boy catching mahrez on the foot, he accidentally stood on it which only a replay seen