Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Rangers were already down to 10 by then, Kemar Roofe having been sent off within six minutes of coming on for catching goalkeeper Ondrej Kolar in the face with his boot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56375487

That’s an interesting take in the BBC match report. 

In fairness, he does call it reckless later on, but still.

Yeah, here’s the thing, I think I’m going to trust Glen Kamara when he says he’s a victim of racist abuse.
Yeah, have to say, the guy is right up in his ear so there's little chance of the misheard defence holding any water. Kamara definitely heard what was said and reacted instantly.

The guy also walked past other players to get to Kamara, who wasn't really doing anything to provoke anyone.

Kamara is always a guy that comes across (as well as being a dynamite footballer) as a pretty laid back guy. His immediate reaction tells it's own story.

As do the reactions of the guy in question, who clearly knows what he's done and retreats, like most cowards, to hide behind his teammates.

It'll come down to one person's word against another unfortunately, as no one but Kamara could possibly have heard what was said and there's no doubt the player will deny it, so there's every chance it goes unpunished. That's a pretty shitty and sobering thought for 2021.

Having seen the incident, enough of Kamara as a guy this season to know he's not one that gets involved in petty incidents on the park, then see the reaction of both sets of players (as let's be fair to Prague, a lot of their players seemed a bit annoyed as well) and all of the aftermath, it's naive at best not to acknowledge that the likelihood is this was a racist incident.

[emoji853]

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Would be nice if, instead of everyone at Rangers trying to excuse what Roofe did, someone came out and expressed remorse about ruining that dude's face.

This "not intentional" thing is bullshit anyway. You don't put your foot up there if you don't know who's around you; and if you do, the consequences are entirely your fault.

It was very clearly an accident and anyone suggesting otherwise is pushing a weird agenda. It can simultaneosuly be an awful, dangerous tackle very worth of a red card, but still a genuine attempt to play the ball. Expecting a manager or anyone else from the club unilaterally coming out, unprompted to apologise for a bad tackle from one of their players seems a bit of an unrealistic expectation - I've literally never seen it happen.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbh, i'm only really making the point that racism in football needs to be above this pish now. We've all did it, scored points over abhorrent shite based on what team we support. Certainly I have dug out Pars fans for instances of racism from their support in the past. No mroe though. We have all been educated in recent times, in much the same was as the child abuse report has hopefully put paid to that as a source of terrace "banter", so IMO we need to stop with any point scoring about who was racist and instead try to drive it out the game using as militant tactics as possible. If Kamara was racialy abused i'd hjave been rigth behind the entire team walking off the pitch there and then. 

Just my opinion but I thought/hoped we were at a place where it was no longer jokeworthy, and thats not a dig at you even though on this occasion its you involved, just more of a general observation that we should all seek to be better with most of us starting from a place of less than perfect

Sure. I’ll accept that the moment people stop taking unfair pot-shots at Rangers fans for the same thing. Good luck with that.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

would really just take asking both players for their versions of events

i) why did you cover your mouth, and exactly - word for word - what did you say to Kamara?

Sure he could bullshit but get it on record, he might even just be stupid enough to try some kind of "no it's German for the bart, the" type defence. At which point you can comfortably hammer him with a banhammer.

ii) what did you hear Kudela say? did anyone else nearby hear it too?

I know this is shitty and might not be a popular take, but I'm not sure how fair it is that someone can claim racist abuse and the other party is IMMEDIATELY deemed 100% guilty of it. It's not a court of law but even at that the standard of proof has to be a little higher than that?

Unfortunately it's unlikely anyone else heard it to corroborate as whatever it was he did it in a really fly way. I get that it's even unfair because there's an element of "why would Kamara be lying" to it.

This is the sad reality of it all. On one hand, it seems as though a player has acted inappropriately but it’s almost impossible to prove and get them punished.

On the other hand, it could genuinely be something lost in translation and a player is incorrectly branded a racist.

I know what my suspicions are but it’ll never come out what was said nor do I think any action will be taken.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

It was very clearly an accident and anyone suggesting otherwise is pushing a weird agenda. It can simultaneosuly be an awful, dangerous tackle very worth of a red card, but still a genuine attempt to play the ball. Expecting a manager or anyone else from the club unilaterally coming out, unprompted to apologise for a bad tackle from one of their players seems a bit of an unrealistic expectation - I've literally never seen it happen.

Hardly surprising

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

100% agree. The manager or someone might come out and say we wish them a speedy recovery but that’s the end of it.

3 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

would really just take asking both players for their versions of events

i) why did you cover your mouth, and exactly - word for word - what did you say to Kamara?

Sure he could bullshit but get it on record, he might even just be stupid enough to try some kind of "no it's German for the bart, the" type defence. At which point you can comfortably hammer him with a banhammer.

ii) what did you hear Kudela say? did anyone else nearby hear it too?

I know this is shitty and might not be a popular take, but I'm not sure how fair it is that someone can claim racist abuse and the other party is IMMEDIATELY deemed 100% guilty of it. It's not a court of law but even at that the standard of proof has to be a little higher than that?

Unfortunately it's unlikely anyone else heard it to corroborate as whatever it was he did it in a really fly way. I get that it's even unfair because there's an element of "why would Kamara be lying" to it.

This is basically what Celtic did with their "it was the wind" defence of Tonev. It was the same sort of one man's word against the other scenario, but Tonev was seen as an unreliable witness and therefore was found guilty.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Sure. I’ll accept that the moment people stop taking unfair pot-shots at Rangers fans for the same thing. Good luck with that.

Ok, well if that's the standard you plan to hold yourself to going forward I guess that's your choice. 

2 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Just pickin' up on what I'm hearing m8

Aye, I actually would love to find out Gerrard has stormed into the stadium and locked the away dressing room but I just can’t see it haha.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What about managers of national teams ?

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The fallout from this match rumbles on

I think that may be bollocks, the Slavia chairman and CEO are on Twitter and haven’t mentioned it, only that only Kolar has managed to leave with a doctor. They are complaining to UEFA 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is basically what Celtic did with their "it was the wind" defence of Tonev. It was the same sort of one man's word against the other scenario, but Tonev was seen as an unreliable witness and therefore was found guilty.

iirc that's what happened with Luis Suarez calling Evra a "negrito" a while back too, his defence was along the lines that it wasn't considered a slur in South America or he hadn't meant it that way, something like that. Once you've got that side of the story it makes it easier to dismiss it as wholly implausible or go on a balance of probability...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Ok, well if that's the standard you plan to hold yourself to going forward I guess that's your choice. 

Nah, you can’t have it both ways. Either digging fans out for racism and sectarianism is okay, or it isn’t.