Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

You'd maybe think the nonsense over the previous couple of weeks about Kent not having made a single assist in a year (or whatever it was) has almost a Traynor-esque feel of briefing against our own player to illicit a response. I do not recall where the initial story originated but I cannot imagine even the most obsessed would be able to quote such detailed stats and then develop it into a running story in the media.

Genius or tinfoil-hattery, you decide. 

25 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

You'd maybe think the nonsense over the previous couple of weeks about Kent not having made a single assist in a year (or whatever it was) has almost a Traynor-esque feel of briefing against our own player to illicit a response. I do not recall where the initial story originated but I cannot imagine even the most obsessed would be able to quote such detailed stats and then develop it into a running story in the media.

Genius or tinfoil-hattery, you decide. 

Never underestimate the commitment of your average Sevco Da.

They spent yesterday evening howling at Uefa's twitter account because they posted an innocuous "Rangers through to last 16 for the first time since 2011"  tweet.

2 hours ago, stressball said:

A win for rangers, a boost for the coefficient and some much needed prize money into their kitty.

Braga should have had it dead  and buried in the first leg but went to sleep and never woke up again.

Well played, feel free to keep your form for Europe lads.

Let's move it on to fairy tales - Rip Van Winkle esque

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:
3 hours ago, Ross. said:
Tremendous result for Rangers last night. Having only watched around an hour of the first game I would never have tipped that as a final result for the tie.
Ryan Kent, is he the opposite of Morelos? Shite 9 times out of 10 but has a knack of scoring in big games, where Morelos seems to do it against the diddies but struggles in the important ones?

Morelos scored in more or less every important Europa League game. Winner against Legia Warsaw in the Playoff Round, equaliser away to Porto, first goal at home to Porto, two goals away to Feyenoord, goal at home to Young Boys.

but apart from that?

Keeping a clean sheet over there is some going. Braga were always going to concede again, because Rangers took advantage of their obvious failings incredibly well, and probably should have won by more, but to keep them at bay was a tall order. And to be honest, I didn't think Braga ever looked like getting back into it.

The only conclusion is the Scottish top flight is better than we all think, the league gets the blame when we don't do well in Europe.
The predictability of sevco in the league gives St Johnstone, Killie and the tarts an advantage by playing them 3 or 4 times a season.
It's easy for teams like Braga to contain than create,the high line was suicide.

The only conclusion is the Scottish top flight is better than we all think, the league gets the blame when we don't do well in Europe.
The predictability of sevco in the league gives St Johnstone, Killie and the tarts an advantage by playing them 3 or 4 times a season.
It's easy for teams like Braga to contain than create,the high line was suicide.
I said this in the group stages. Whilst lastnight was obviously a very good result for the ****, I'm not having it as some sort of seismic shock. That's only for people who want to be dismissive of the Scottish game. Rangers and Celtic are in a funny sort of tier of European football. Cant quite put my finger on how you would describe it but there are loads of traditionally big teams who cant rely on Champions League coin, eg this season Lazio and Feyenoord who I expect Rangers and Celtic to have a good go at. Suspect these teams approaching Scottish football with a certain arrogance doesnt help their cause.

FWIW, in Europe the only time I will root for either cheek is if they come up against an EPL side. Would love to see one of them bodying Arsenal or Man U.

4 hours ago, stressball said:

A win for rangers, a boost for the coefficient and some much needed prize money into their kitty.

Braga should have had it dead  and buried in the first leg but went to sleep and never woke up again.

Well played, feel free to keep your form for Europe lads.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Let's move it on to fairy tales - Rip Van Winkle esque

In the arms of Morpheus, surely?

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I said this in the group stages. Whilst lastnight was obviously a very good result for the ****, I'm not having it as some sort of seismic shock. That's only for people who want to be dismissive of the Scottish game. Rangers and Celtic are in a funny sort of tier of European football. Cant quite put my finger on how you would describe it but there are loads of traditionally big teams who cant rely on Champions League coin, eg this season Lazio and Feyenoord who I expect Rangers and Celtic to have a good go at. Suspect these teams approaching Scottish football with a certain arrogance doesnt help their cause.

FWIW, in Europe the only time I will root for either cheek is if they come up against an EPL side. Would love to see one of them bodying Arsenal or Man U.

Scottish teams always seem to do well against english teams so for me it would be a good draw for any scottish club.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I expected them to win when the draw was made - Braga are the type of team that they absolutely should be beating.

Why? They topped their group, scudded wolves and under their new manager hadnt lost a game while beating some of the bigger teams in Portugal 

Granted we could have had a harder draw, but saying we should be beating braga is a bit of a stretch, 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Why? They topped their group, scudded wolves and under their new manager hadnt lost a game while beating some of the bigger teams in Portugal 

Granted we could have had a harder draw, but saying we should be beating braga is a bit of a stretch, 

37 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Living in the Past

Rangers comfortably dealt with Porto in the group stage, and they are miles clear of Braga in the Portuguese league.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Rangers comfortably dealt with Porto in the group stage, and they are miles clear of Braga in the Portuguese league.

Comfortably is a bit off, they probably deserved the win in porto, and at ibrox they were comfy until an injury to pepe forced him off and their backline changed from a 3 to a 4 meaning morelos had more space with only 2 centre halves to deal with 

Still though, saying a group runner up should be beating a group topper imo is still a stretch, but thats just my opinon,