The Big Relegation Thread

11 hours ago, D-Fens Foster said:

Whoever finishes in the playoff place I can’t see them losing to Ayr/Partick. As an innocent bystander i think a Killie/Ayr final would be very interesting for the neutral. Still fancy any of the Prem teams to come out on top tho.

If it's Killlie, over two legs their decent home record/shitey playing surface would be enough to see them over the line against either.

Of the other three remaining possibilities, County and Utd have both at least had spirited wins in the recent past and I could see them being able to lift themselves and galvanise for a last battle to survive. Should the least likely set of results transpire and St Johnstone somehow manage to f**k it from here, I'd have them as the Championship sides best shot at glory.

On 24/04/2023 at 16:57, RandomGuy. said:

Its a remarkable timeline we have.

Considine in August - "we can finish in the top 4"

Considine in October - "we can finish in the top 6"

Considine in January - "we can finish in the top 6"

MacPherson in March - "we can win 5 games in a row and make top 6"

Considine in April - "we can win 5 in a row and comfortably avoid relegation"

Presumably the next stage is "we can win both our final games and avoid 12th"

Today - Steven MacLean - " We will be in the Premiership" (next season)

Just shut up with this pish.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Today - Steven MacLean - " We will be in the Premiership" (next season)

Just shut up with this pish.

So what you're saying is, you hope to f**k it doesn't go to the last game and your players are being quoted saying "We will beat Livingston and stay up". 

This weekend is certainly massive in the grand scheme of things..if neither Utd or County win away at Livi and Well (2 draws are fine), and Killie do win..it 'should' take Killie out of the equation of finishing 12th as it would be:

Killie 37

Saints 36

County 34

Utd 32.

To finish last from there Killie would need to lose to both Utd and County and Utd would have to also win away to Well.

Pretty much 1 point required from last 2 games v Utd and County to guarantee at least 11th.

Can't see Utd winning at Well, Killie losing to both Utd and County and Saints beating Livi all happening.

However whatever the results are this weekend will go a long way to deciding it.

The Motherwell fan in my work has agreed that they will let us get the necessary result on the final day as long as we let van Veen score enough to get to 30 for the season.

Obviously, we'll be down and he'll have hit that target by kick-off, but it's a nice gesture.

16 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

This weekend is certainly massive in the grand scheme of things..if neither Utd or County win away at Livi and Well (2 draws are fine), and Killie do win..it 'should' take Killie out of the equation of finishing 12th as it would be:

Killie 37

Saints 36

County 34

Utd 32.

To finish last from there Killie would need to lose to both Utd and County and Utd would have to also win away to Well.

Pretty much 1 point required from last 2 games v Utd and County to guarantee at least 11th.

Can't see Utd winning at Well, Killie losing to both Utd and County and Saints beating Livi all happening.

However whatever the results are this weekend will go a long way to deciding it.

If I were you I'd very much see United winning at us on the last day. With a few games to go contracts are still up in the air, by the last day all that's decided and players (possibly with one exception!) are on the beach.

We'd have finished seventh with a last day result (draw or win, I forget) against County last season, played at walking pace and got beat 2-1 from 1-0 up.

If United need a result at FP (which looks pretty certain), they'll bring a huge support and will probably get it on desire alone.

United have shown so little desire though. Plus everyone can see a  run at our defence and a pass in behind does us every time,  as well as a strong likelihood that any shot on target from anywhere on the pitch will get past the worst goalkeeper I've seen in the 40 years I've been going.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If I were you I'd very much see United winning at us on the last day. With a few games to go contracts are still up in the air, by the last day all that's decided and players (possibly with one exception!) are on the beach.

We'd have finished seventh with a last day result (draw or win, I forget) against County last season, played at walking pace and got beat 2-1 from 1-0 up.

If United need a result at FP (which looks pretty certain), they'll bring a huge support and will probably get it on desire alone.

So, genuinely a case of them wanting it more? Maybe Celtic have had the right approach all along 😉

56 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Please no

I can understand why Killie fans would hate the very thought of it - but for everyone else it would be an epic needle match and 100 times more interesting than the Cup Final.

I remember when we relegated Falkirk at Fir Park years back - the (considerable) relief that day wasn't about us staying up as a result - it was the fact that we'd avoided a playoff with 90's Airdrie which would have been the ultimate nightmare game for us.

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Desire? This is Dundee United we're talking about here

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I can understand why Killie fans would hate the very thought of it - but for everyone else it would be an epic needle match and 100 times more interesting than the Cup Final.

I remember when we relegated Falkirk at Fir Park years back - the (considerable) relief that day wasn't about us staying up as a result - it was the fact that we'd avoided a playoff with 90's Airdrie which would have been the ultimate nightmare game for us.

My nerves were shredded for the 2012 semi and this would be bigger still. 

It would be a bigger game for them than us. The chance to relegate us is something they could lord over us forever. If we win we stop them sealing promotion which isn't nearly as juicy. 

On 17/05/2023 at 15:42, Jedi2 said:

Killie 37

Saints 36

County 34

Utd 32.

There is also the possibility that by Saturday Saints could be second bottom on goal difference.

giphy (1).gif

11 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Two seasons ago?

Last season you came back from 2-0 to draw with us 2-2 in ET, and moved above us into the top 6 in the final pre split game. You finished the season in 5th place.

With the rumour that Fletcher is out for the final 3 games we might as well just merge this with the Utd thread. Who would have guessed having just 1 striker (an ageing 1 who was always likely to pick up an injury) would come back and bite us on the arse.