The Big Relegation Thread

11 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I think it’s being overlooked that County and Killie aren’t exactly in bad form either. Taking last year, for example, Caley were in good fettle before the final whilst Saints had 5 points from a possible 15 in the split - yet dismantled Caley in the second leg. 

(am I in denial, potentially…)

In terms of results, County’s form isn’t that bad. Their results are better than their performances, I think. If Dhanda’s out we won’t get enough crosses into the box.

I’m sure Doolan will have seen how much joy Stevie May had agains the right side of County’s defence. Thistle have the weapons to double up in the weakest areas of County’s team.

Having said that, Alex Samuel’s rise from nowhere gives me a glimmer of hope that he can test Thistle’s defence, even with the piss poor service County have been offering this season (Dhanda aside).

1 hour ago, Nelly78 said:

For the first hour or so of the first leg, we absolutely bossed Caley. Probably one of our best performances of last season for that spell (which wasn't difficult, granted!) Could easily have been a couple more goals up. Then Davidson and his shit, negative subs struck, we retreated into our defensive shell, and ended up holding on for a draw. 

Aye but not taking advantage of being on top, conceding a soft goal then collapsing was why we were down there. The tie was far closer than it shouldve been scorewise (until the final half hour or so).

There must be a reason County/Kilmarnock are in this position, whatever it is, while Partick (according to the Championship forum) were so low simply because of an injury crisis which is now cleared.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

It will take something special for Partick to beat either County or Killie. 

Thistle are not only scoring lots of goals, but well created goals at that. I know it is a slight step-up in class, but not that much. I think it's going to be a tight play off whoever Thistle are to play.

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Thistle are not only scoring lots of goals, but well created goals at that. I know it is a slight step-up in class, but not that much. I think it's going to be a tight play off whoever Thistle are to play.

It also has some similarity to a couple of season's back when Dundee only got it together in the run-in to grab 2nd and then scooshed Killie in the play-off.  I'm not really getting the grounds for confidence amongst the premier teams but we'll see. It's all well pointing out that Killie and County are playing better teams than Partick but they can only paly what's in front of them and they have been impressive in the past few weeks.  

Edited by hk blues

At full time on the last day of the season when we'd scraped into the playoffs via a 2-2 draw with a injury-ravaged Raith team that had one outfield sub available and nothing to play for I gave us a zero percent chance of promotion, but I'd say we're up to maybe 30% now. 

Seems funny to say when we've scored 16 goals in 4 games but we'll need to be more clincal vs County / Killie, even ignoring second half of last night which was shootie in, we've missed some amount of chances over those 3 and a bit games and we won't get as many in the final.

I think the home leg being first is actually good for us though, we're likely going to have to win it and gives us better chance of keeping momentum going. 

Edited by Fuctifano

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye but not taking advantage of being on top, conceding a soft goal then collapsing was why we were down there. The tie was far closer than it shouldve been scorewise (until the final half hour or so).

There must be a reason County/Kilmarnock are in this position, whatever it is, while Partick (according to the Championship forum) were so low simply because of an injury crisis which is now cleared.

I know you're only repeating what's posted elsewhere but I think injury crisis is a bit overblown (certainly compared to previous years) and mainly used by folk defending McCall.

There was a spell where Holt, Docherty and Graham were out which is probably the spine of the team- though Holt himself is now filling at at LB because Milne, who probably would have been our player of the season had he stayed fit, is now injured. I would concede that Tiffoney getting properly fit coincided almost exactly with McCall leaving which didn't help him and has therefore benefitted Doolan .

Of our key players, McMillan, Turner, Graham, Lawless, Fitzpatrick and Bannigan have all missed 5 competitive games or less out of 50 this season injured and that's with Bannigan missing the last 3. Docherty missed 9 and Holt 11,  with Tiffoney the massive outlier on 17 plus he clearly wasn't fit for most of the games he started until February but we kept rushing him back which led to him getting injured again.

We finished 4th because we didn't play well enough over the course of the season, we took 5 points out of 12 from both relegated teams including defeats at home. Even with the improvement under Doolan there were too many draws.

Although, if we'd held onto a 2-0 lead with half an hour to go vs Dundee in November and not lost 3-2 that's a 6 point and 6 GD swing which would have seen us win the league if every other result stayed the same (which it obviously wouldn't)

Edited by Fuctifano

32 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Am I right in thinking Ross County have never been in a playoff?

Only Celtic & Hearts the other not been involved after Saints 1st one last year.

Aberdeen haven’t either. 

19 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aberdeen not beat Dunfermline back in the day?

I stand corrected then. You learn something new every day! 

26 minutes ago, Widge said:

Aberdeen haven’t either. 

Seen this post and knew instantly the pensioners would be straight on to talk about some play off that took place when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Over 40s shouldnt have access to the internet.

4 hours ago, Gekko said:

Wasn't that the very first playoff? I remember Dodds playing in it.

It was the first one in that format, but there were previously play-offs for the title in 1890/91 and 1904/05 after teams finished level on points at the top. The first saw Dumbarton and Rangers draw and ultimately share the title, the second saw Celtic beat Rangers to win the league.

There was also a playoff between Killie and Port Glasgow Athletic in 1905/06 to decide which side would finish in the bottom two and need to seek re-election. Killie lost 6-0 but ultimately the league was expanded from 16 to 18 teams that summer.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seen this post and knew instantly the pensioners would be straight on to talk about some play off that took place when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Over 40s shouldnt have access to the internet.

How else can we find naked pictures of your maw? 🤪

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It was the first one in that format, but there were previously play-offs for the title in 1890/91 and 1904/05 after teams finished level on points at the top. The first saw Dumbarton and Rangers draw and ultimately share the title, the second saw Celtic beat Rangers to win the league.

There was also a playoff between Killie and Port Glasgow Athletic in 1905/06 to decide which side would finish in the bottom two and need to seek re-election. Killie lost 6-0 but ultimately the league was expanded from 16 to 18 teams that summer.

Cheers! Remind me to never take you on in a pub quiz.