Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m with DA, the fact that a company actively wants to monitor and check up on people is a betrayal of trust and shows underlying issues with insecurity and power and control.

When you treat people this way they will soldier and clockwatch, if the work is done let people go home don’t make them sit around pretending to work. If there’s no work or it’s up and down then that’s the fault of the management, don’t make people sit around as if they are pawns in your game of control. If everyone worked from home there would be less politics, less pointless meetings and bullying and harassment wouldn’t exist because you would have to do it via email or on video. Production would go sky high without all of this crap. 

8 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Who is this? I’d like to know more about her.

Google Image Search. FFS, man. An essential tool for the follower of Alert Mongoose.

Apparently her pictures are very popular on dating sites, so crack on. One of them's bound to be her.

46 minutes ago, Snafu said:

No, I'm going down the government are either negligent or doing this on purpose route.

They failed in preparation for years and delayed acting on securing supplies and introducing social isolation for too long because Cummings and others thought they had brains the size of the planet and WHO were thick bureaucrat globalists who didn't have a clue. But they would be on a full testing everyone programme now if they had the capability of doing it. 

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yup, I can see this.

Personally I feel so much more relaxed as I have so much more time for things when working from home. I don't have to get up as early or go to bed as early, and combined with not having to commute I'm getting at least 2 to 3 hours more to myself each day. Even just the environment of working from home is so much more relaxing. I have a window and natural light, I don't have to adhere to a comically outdated dress code and I don't have to tolerate dickhead colleagues.

I'm also getting so much more done at the same time as well (non work stuff I mean). I'm actually far more productive working from home than I am sitting in an office. When having to go to work I feel much more stressed simply because I don't have as much time to myself and have to cram everything in to a much shorter period after work if I want to get things done (non work stuff).

Absolutely dreading having to go back and sit in an office. There's absolutely no need for me to do it but I will have to when it's time or lose my job.

It's such a shit way of working and living, and it I imagine it costs employers a lot, but because it's the 'done thing' most of us will have to go back to it. 9-5 five days a week is simply unnecessary for so many roles now, and has been for years. Worse, it's stupid, but greed will prevent any real change on that front.

Not to go all Foucault about this but employers have a vested interest in making you feel insecure and keeping you under surveillance.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

RIP

*Curb Your Enthusiasm music starts playing*

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah this definitely still has legs.
That's how i see it.

I'd love a major redistribution in political attitudes (like happened after wwII) but it's unlikely.

The press and political establishment will try and get back to normal and change nothing long term.

But the economy can't suffer like this indefinitely without some extreme social consequences for everyone, especially those at the bottom.

It's a horribly tricky balance that they need to navigate.

Extreme social consequences they'd rather avoid you say?

lenin-at-finland-station-granger.jpg

Edited by NotThePars

Spoke with the MD one of my suppliers today, his company deals with a range of businesses most of whom are far, far bigger than mine.

He says a lot of large companies in the construction industry are threatening suppliers with breach of contract and are invoking penalty clauses if product is not delivered.

Not sure what the legal position would be as certain manufacturing businesses are continuing to operate as normal whereas others are claiming that they cannot do so whilst maintaining a safe environment for their employees.

I was. [mention=48577]kingjoey[/mention] would be, too. Not sure about [mention=40968]Raidernation[/mention] anyway I think he was brought up in Sutherlandshire. There are quite a few supporters of other teams who would have been alive back then, just not necessarily living in Aberdeen.

I was born during/ just after, in Aberdeen.

Explains a lot

Spoke with the MD one of my suppliers today, his company deals with a range of businesses most of whom are far, far bigger than mine.
He says a lot of large companies in the construction industry are threatening suppliers with breach of contract and are invoking penalty clauses if product is not delivered.
Not sure what the legal position would be as certain manufacturing businesses are continuing to operate as normal whereas others are claiming that they cannot do so whilst maintaining a safe environment for their employees.

I'm a builders merchants, and I'm a bit concerned about how this will all affect our branch. We were only taken over by a shareholding group of companies 2 years ago, we were ran by a Dundee firm before that, head office at tealing.

21 minutes ago, philpy said:

I’m a builders merchants, and I'm a bit concerned about how this will all affect our branch. We were only taken over by a shareholding group of companies 2 years ago, we were ran by a Dundee firm before that, head office at tealing.

I think the biggest issue will be how people react once the lockdown is lifted.  If people go back to ‘normal’ in terms of their economic activity I think things will improve quite quickly.  However if people are economically cautious I think the negative impact will be far more severe and long lasting.

In a consumer society the biggest danger to the economy is people stopping consuming due to caution, that caution then causes the very problem they are worried about.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

The US now hurling its toys out of the pram in all directions: halting its funding towards the WHO because the Chinese have done a much better job than them.

It's proper car-crash stuff. The guy is an absolute mentalist.