Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's unlikely to skew it by much given that less than 1% of the population live / work in care homes though.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the approximately 200 infections per day at the moment are transmitted outwith care homes and hospitals

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah but my whole point is that whilst a tiny percentage live in care homes the number of new infections/deaths in care homes is a significant part of the overall infection/death rate.

I’m pretty sure that there was a day last week when more than 50% of those who died in Scotland were in care homes.  So that’s a 50% death rate from  about 1% of the population.  That must seriously skew the r number.

Possibly.

R is based on infections, not deaths though. Even if care homes were seeing the same rate of infection as the non-care home population, we'd still see a massively disproportionate number of deaths coming from them because almost all residents will be high risk.

I'd expect R to be higher in care homes because it's not possible to shield / distance to the same extent it is fore most people.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the approximately 200 infections per day at the moment are transmitted outwith care homes and hospitals

The 200 hundred recorded is almost certainly heavily skewed towards care home and hospital infections. The 'real' infection rate will be much higher but folk who catch it in care homes or hospitals will be for more likely to be tested and/or hospitalised.

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

For any golfers oot there our Scottish courses will remain shut while in England they will open.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/scottish-golf-courses-must-remain-closed-now-says-ra-2848515

Scottish golf courses have been warned to stay closed by the R&A despite the green light being given for courses in England to open on Wednesday.

That will drive a wedge between the two countries.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah but my whole point is that whilst a tiny percentage live in care homes the number of new infections/deaths in care homes is a significant part of the overall infection/death rate.

I’m pretty sure that there was a day last week when more than 50% of those who died in Scotland were in care homes.  So that’s a 50% death rate from  about 1% of the population.  That must seriously skew the r number.

Don't think so, the R rate isn't about deaths, it's the infection rate. You're obviously going to have a high death rate in care homes because of their age, but people like bus and taxi drivers and regular commuters must be at high risk too, but their infection rate won't be recorded unless far more people are tested when they feel poorly and self isolate. I don't think we have a clue what R is, just that it's dropped since the lockdown. I've got a 105 year old Auntie in a care home with about the strictest isolation rules you could imagine, I'd think the infection rate would be higher amongst people still having to work in offices.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I am sure there's a reason why you are asking me to solve your problems but I can't fathom it.

Talk to your boss would be my advice. If you have a wife, share the childcaring between you. What do you do during school holidays?

The clue is in the word 'hypothetical'. This doesn't actually apply to me. But surely you're not so obtuse to think that this won't apply to hundreds of thousands of families across the country who rely on others for childcare that is not currently available?

Bunker on the fairway with the green on the caddie with the spikey shoes and white privilege and no girls aloud and rough tee wood clubhouse mulligan birdie eagle albatross little buggy play through scratch bogey GET IN THE HOLE.

puns are shite

Edited by The OP

3 minutes ago, The OP said:

Bunker on the fairway with the green on the caddie with the spikey shoes and white privilege and no girls aloud and rough tee wood clubhouse mulligan birdrie eagle albatross little buggy play through scratch bogey GET IN THE HOLE.

Hide contents

puns are shite

^^^^^^Stymied 

8 minutes ago, The OP said:

Bunker on the fairway with the green on the caddie with the spikey shoes and white privilege and no girls aloud and rough tee wood clubhouse mulligan birdrie eagle albatross little buggy play through scratch bogey GET IN THE HOLE.

I'd bunker down during the Coronavirus crisis with Cheryl Cole any day

image.png.cbab6ce3ae0b64d2a37742d7fe3d28e2.png

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely
to bold and underline the pun for maximum shitposting effect. Also to fix anyday to any day since i dont think thats a word tbh

Just now, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'd bunker down during the Coronavirus crisis with Cheryl Cole anyday

image.png.cbab6ce3ae0b64d2a37742d7fe3d28e2.png

I'd rather get the virus. 

Do you really want or need a government to provide you with hugs and a juicy teat?
Am I being whooshed here?
Christ you're needing your hole tonight, eh?

Meeting up with family is one of my biggest concerns at the moment. My dad has recovered from the virus, and both sets of our parents haven't seen our young kids for well over 2 months.

If you think that's me being overly - emotional then fair enough.

Like i said earlier, i thought the plan laid out by boris was fairly reasonable. But he never mentioned meeting family, and instead focused on exercise and jobs.

I think that was a bit strange.

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

^^^^^^Stymied 

Cupping balls stupid trousers follow through wood (would) hole-in-one drop ball no jews blacks or irish, best way to spoil a good walk, tiger would (woods) sand wedge (sandwich) the old coarse one over par subpar clubs.

puns are still shite

Admittedly I've had a few drinks since earlier, but from what I can remember Boris said it was ok to play golf in England from Wednesday, as long as it was on a building site with a family member, and you also had to have cycled there?

Even for countries like South Korea who controlled it early and kept the numbers low, it doesn't take much for it kick off again.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-koreas-moon-warns-of-covid-19-second-wave-as-cases-rebound-idUKKBN22M024

Cheers for the link.

Seems it relates to nightclubs in South Korea, and their testing and isolating policy is top notch.

We've got a long, long way to go.

I don't think there's a massive difference between sturgeon's and Johnston's plans.

Sturgeon is just more cautious, and less focused on the economy. But there's not much in it.

Whether or not Boris has went too early will become clear in the coming weeks.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Admittedly I've had a few drinks since earlier, but from what I can remember Boris said it was ok to play golf in England from Wednesday, as long as it was on a building site with a family member, and you also had to have cycled there?

Yeah that’s what he said.  He had been drinking too.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

No.  It’s ok to cycle round golf courses and hit family members with golf clubs on building sites.