Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

some rocket comes up and gives it ‘you wouldnt say that to a man’?

I would have ended up saying something along the lines of "I thought it was a man?", which would help diffuse the situation I would imagine.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I would have ended up saying something along the lines of "I thought it was a man?", which would help diffuse the situation I would imagine.

Haha. No i just said ‘actually youre too close so could you stand back too’. Which kind of did defeat his point but not in as funny a way as your own. Aye ok maybe the woman was taken aback at being asked to move back but id rather what should have been just a 1 second moment of awkwardness and not get covid from her (she was coughing) and pass it on to people at work or elderly family members. This absolute ignorance as to whats happening and the simple measures people can take is absolutely staggering. 

My mum is in a home that’s in the news just now over an outbreak of the virus. She’s fine though. Decades of necking buckets of spirits and tranquillisers before bed has probably built up her immune system. 

Father in law in hospital too as he got run over by a Range Rover yesterday. Rubbered on way home from pub in the dark lanes near his house. Lost a tooth and broke his arm. 

32 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yeh? Thats an outrage man. Most B&M do have cctv so they were lying. 
I was just in a supermarket there, had to get something and in the queue the daft auld bint was less than a foot away, so I turned round and just said ‘could you move back please im trying to social distance’. Queue dramatics shouting ‘is this far back enough for you, then stopping people going past telling them how evil i was for not wanting to get or pass on covid. Then some rocket comes up and gives it ‘you wouldnt say that to a man’? Wtf is wrong with this country. Just give folks a bit of space. 

People are horrible things.

Not sure what it's like these days but when I was at school the 7-10 days before a holiday was just a massive skive. I include the teachers in that who would just stick a video on for the class to watch. I see no reason that schools in Scotland couldn't have finished a week or so earlier this year.
Our Senior pupils will still be doing assessments next week.

There wont be much sympathy for teachers on here, but morale is now at rock bottom. New rule for us is that if any of your class catch it then everyone in that class must self isolate, regardless of ventilation, masks, distancing etc. Odds are many of us will be stuck isolating over Christmas and the government and councils couldn't care less so long as parents are kept happy.

I don't see why we can't just move some of the inservice days to next week. Teacher can do that from home and kids get the same number of teacher days as they would through the year.

How bad are things that we are saying the Tories have maybe been slightly more compassionate?

The problem of moving inservice days is that councils have already earmarked them for cross-authority moderation of assessment for estimates.

My mum had this issue at the B&M in Leven (no surprise I hear you say). 
Had a woman shouting at her for having the audacity to ask for more space when she barged in front for something, and when my mum got the exit she met the same woman who had been waiting on her and gave her more verbal abuse before spitting on her shouting "I hope you get Covid now".   My mum then spoke to the store staff but they seemingly said they couldn't do much about it as they supposedly had no CCTV.

And then everybody started cheering.

Anyone driving into Braehead or any out of town shopping centre needs truncheoned in the face repeatedly. There is no valid reason to do your Christmas shopping for wee Jayden in person in 2020. They are fucking at it. 

The only presents I've got from shops are from Debenhams - because my wife works there and there are instore only offers.

Everything else is online or a gift card for the impossible to buy for teens in the family.

We had most of ours done by November this year.

i'm still reliving the childhood trauma of visiting a dozen fucking shops whilst ma parents decided on a new washing machine,   10 minutes online, pick the one, get it from the cheapest site, get it delivered. fuckin hell, why would anyone want to lose a whole day to that

On par with those who insist in going to umpteen travel agents to pick out travel brochures to then return and discover their holiday is not available - to then spend an hour with a travel agent on a "deal" they could have got online with a bigger discount.

21 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

And then everybody started cheering.

I know this "and then everybody started cheering" thing is used ironically in response when someone doesn't believe a story, but I had a very similar story back in April / May time when an old couple cut in front of me in the queue for Tesco and after I'd politely asked them to give me a bit of space proceeded to give me dogs' abuse. Then when our paths inevitably crossed again inside Tesco the old boy had another go at me before shouting that he'd stand close to me if he wanted and came right into my face.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

On par with those who insist in going to umpteen travel agents to pick out travel brochures to then return and discover their holiday is not available - to then spend an hour with a travel agent on a "deal" they could have got online with a bigger discount.

aye, i haven't used a travel agent since 2009

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I know this "and then everybody started cheering" thing is used ironically in response when someone doesn't believe a story, but I had a very similar story back in April / May time when an old couple cut in front of me in the queue for Tesco and after I'd politely asked them to give me a bit of space proceeded to give me dogs' abuse. Then when our paths inevitably crossed again inside Tesco the old boy had another go at me before shouting that he'd stand close to me if he wanted and came right into my face.

Should have exercised your right to self defence and kicked his wife in the pie

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Haha. No i just said ‘actually youre too close so could you stand back too’. Which kind of did defeat his point but not in as funny a way as your own. Aye ok maybe the woman was taken aback at being asked to move back but id rather what should have been just a 1 second moment of awkwardness and not get covid from her (she was coughing) and pass it on to people at work or elderly family members. This absolute ignorance as to whats happening and the simple measures people can take is absolutely staggering. 

There's also a certain degree of even respectable people hating being 'told off' for absolutely anything, and spontaneously falling into a game of one-upmanship as a result (especially if they know they're in the wrong).  A sort of "I tell others off, nobody tells grown-adult me off" mentality which different people deal with in different ways.  In some evident cases, not very well.

Edited by Hedgecutter
typo

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

My mum had this issue at the B&M in Leven (no surprise I hear you say). 

Had a woman shouting at her for having the audacity to ask for more space when she barged in front for something, and when my mum got the exit she met the same woman who had been waiting on her and gave her more verbal abuse before spitting on her shouting "I hope you get Covid now".   My mum then spoke to the store staff but they seemingly said they couldn't do much about it as they supposedly had no CCTV.

She sounds utterly vile, the woman not your maw. I would get her to file a report with the police even if they don't have CCTV she will have likely paid for her shopping by card which will tie her to the shop at the exact time.

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Suddenly my mum being spat at doesn't seem so bad.

24 minutes ago, virginton said:

100 new cases in the past 24 hours suggests that Edinburgh could be unofficially humped for lower restrictions. No doubt their residents will try and find some way to pin the blame on 'Weegies and students ken' as usual.

We had a 98 about 10 days ago or so. Edinburgh has largely had a flat trend since about the 25th October. Kinda wish we'd been dunked into tier 4 as it might have dragged cases down. I suspect Edinburgh's chances of lower tiers are now blown until January.

A crumb of comfort can be derived from the fact that it adds to Richard Leonard's record of idiocy.