Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'd do it but I do find a lot of people don't like me. The two things could be connected. 
I would do it now, having had some experience of standing up and telling people things they didnt want to hear. Having said that, go back even 5 years and I likely wouldnt have.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's natural to defer to the person with more expertise and who controls the data. If Devi and Leitch tell members of the public X is the answer it's a huge taboo for a layman to say no it's actually Y. Add in that it's 19 strangers faced with a united front and the pressure to conform is huge. 

Open forum public meetings are generally useless. Meetings where the public is selected by the government are an artifice.

In years to come it will be used as a perfect example of a case study on what not to do in all 1st year sociology and psychology courses. 

Please list ten things wrong with this approach. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Which experts are you talking about? The ones who literally just figured out testing of close contacts for confirmed cases might be a good idea? Or the ones who waited a year to revoke the free pass for anyone from anywhere in the world to swan through our airports whilst we are all legally mandated to stay in the house?

Those experts?

That's the government making them come out with that shite, I refuse to believe they actually thought testing, masks and the like were pointless.

We can always get other scientists or drs.

Youre not wrong but let's not start binning every expert.

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It would appear that 19 people have been lectured to by some heavily selected experts then at the end of it asked some pointed questions about what government strategy should be.

It is being reported this morning as some sort of public opinion on the matter.

I haven’t seen anyone who’ll be financially impacted the most by ongoing restrictions talking up in favour of Zero COVID, put it that way.

Very much doubt any of the 19 were furloughed single parents trying to make ends meet on a % of the minimum wage.

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

What do the experts know, they spent years studying it whereas I've goggled it five minutes ago.

:lol:

Maybe the group could have some other members to point out the crippling damage that such a strategy will do to people's lives? 

To me, this looks like an echo chamber. 

14 hours ago, madwullie said:

Got my jag earlier. Pfizer which I was surprised at. Can't think of anyone at all who's had the AZ

Depends which vaccine the GPs have had supplied to them. I was at a meeting yesterday where there was a presentation from one of the board vaccination programme managers. He was saying numbers of new people vaccinated will dip over the next few weeks, a combination of known supply changes (factory reconfigurations to increase capacity in the future, which is good) and that we're starting to administer the second doses. On the bright side, our board has over 500 trained vaccinators now.

Edited by Cyclizine

I just listened to the presentation Devi gave.  Started off by saying relying on health-care capacity doesn't work and we'll be in continual lockdown as we'll always breach it.  Then went on to travel restrictions good.

Wasn't until about half-way through she mentioned vaccines.  Vaccines are good and the way out of this, but vaccine evading variants might be coming.

Pretty much the standard nonsense really and obviously designed to steer people down a certain path.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'd do it but I do find a lot of people don't like me. The two things could be connected. 

i'd do it to , but my main go to argument  against kicker wetters over the past decade  ( we can't go to Europe incase there's a terrorist attack it's JUST too risky, or perhaps the modern phenomena of wrapping children in cotton wool and keeping them under MI5 survielience until their 35th birthday)  of " well you'd never leave the house if that was your outlook " has been completely fucked by this fucking lockdown and everyones mindless acceptance of it

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

That's the government making them come out with that shite, I refuse to believe they actually thought testing, masks and the like were pointless.

We can always get other scientists or drs.

Youre not wrong but let's not start binning every expert.

So we should defer to the experts then, on the basis that even the ones that are patently wrong are being made to tell fibs by the big bad government. 

Can you fucking hear yourself?

15 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

What do the experts know, they spent years studying it whereas I've goggled it five minutes ago.

:lol:

I keep banging on about this on this thread so apologies but there are quite a few important instances where if you'd spent five minutes Googling something you would have had better policy ideas than some of the experts in the relevant fields.  Call it the Rule of Caprice.  

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

I just listened to the presentation Devi gave.  Started off by saying relying on health-care capacity doesn't work and we'll be in continual lockdown as we'll always breach it.  Then went on to travel restrictions good.

Wasn't until about half-way through she mentioned vaccines.  Vaccines are good and the way out of this, but vaccine evading variants might be coming.

Pretty much the standard nonsense really and obviously designed to steer people down a certain path.

They are genuinely acting like the vaccines are either useless, or don't exist. 

It is incredible that we are at this stage when we have a bloody vaccine and therefore an exit strategy and yet the way they talk about it this is that it's worse than it ever was. The end should be in sight. 

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

To think just yesterday her cheerleaders were claiming that she was just an honest scientist who couldn't help it if her arguments were taken up by the government, when she's actually poisoning the well of the SP's ludicrous, ultra-focus group with her drivel. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It is incredible that we are at this stage when we have a bloody vaccine and therefore an exit strategy and yet the way they talk about it this is that it's worse than it ever was. The end should be in sight. 

Quite.  If you want to sit and play hypothetical "what if?"  you can construct an argument against allowing literally anything.

What if a different virus became pandemic.  Should we lock down permanently just in case? 

ETA.  In this new data driven world why are vaccine busting variants a consideration?  Where is the data to show that they exist?

Edited by Left Back

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Testing isn't much more effective than just isolating with symptoms. And mask wearing (as it's practiced in the UK) still hasn't been proven to have much impact as we have seen during this second wave. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Along with the fact that vaccines are appearing to already have an affect on hospitalisations and deaths in the older ages. 

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

To me, this looks like an echo chamber. 

As is this website to be fair.

Polls suggest that the vast majority of the public support longer/stricter lockdowns. You would get the exact opposite impression from reading this thread.