Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Pep, the guys in the politics threads were saying they missed you. 

Seriously I'd like to know how old you are. I never, ever, ever go around the forum hassling individual posters. As I am an adult. 

You may not like how I argue, but I'm talking about the subject at hand 100% of the time. Which is what a forum is for. I sometimes might call someone a p***k if they're being a p***k, but only within the confines of the debate already going on.

Never, ever, ever would I even consider going round the forum just to have a go at another poster, whilst not even taking part in the debate, but I get it from what five, six, maybe seven people on here, every single time I'm on.

So I'd like to know how old you are?

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

What does that mean though?  It won't be the end of the world?  Oh well that's alright then eh. Its the worst thing to happen to humanity in a hundred years, and we have handled it worse than anybody else and continue to do so. Do you think we'll just come out the other side fuckin dandy? We're completely fucked.  

We will come out the other side, yes. It's what humans do. People also do, tragically, die. Particularly in epidemics. Loved ones will be mourned, as they are every day of every year.

I'm sure the western world will be far better prepared for the next one, like how countries in the far east responded better to this one after their experience with SARS.

I mean look at this walloper above. I told him pages ago I wasn't replying to him anymore, yet since then he's posted what twenty times, every single one just an attempt to have a go at me. 

That's weird. That's absolute weirdo behaviour. What would be the point in that? 

But again as I said, I'm an adult so maybe I just don't get it. For all I know you guys are fifteen, which would explain a lot.

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Hearing today that various councils are asking their staff to sign up to an internal register for early vaccination to avoid doses going to waste through folk not turning up to appointments and the limited stability of the vaccine itself. Criteria is that staff must be over 18 and able to make it to an appointment within 30 minutes if selected. Makes sense if doses will be wasted otherwise.

They should save these spare doses, buy some blow pipes and darts and fire them.at participants in the next anti lockdown protest.

Just now, Elixir said:

We will come out the other side, yes. It's what humans do. People also do, tragically, die. Particularly in epidemics. Loved ones will be mourned, as they are every day of every year.

I'm sure the western world will be far better prepared for the next one, like how countries in the far east responded better to this one after their experience with SARS.

That doesn't mean anything. Of course we'll 'come out the other side' as in the UK will still exist, its not going to sink. But in what state, in what timeframe and at what cost?  Come out the other side what a load of fuckin shite tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I mean look at this walloper above. I told him pages ago I wasn't replying to him anymore, yet since then he's posted what twenty times, every single one just an attempt to have a go at me. 

That's weird. That's absolute weirdo behaviour. What would be the point in that? 

But again as I said, I'm an adult so maybe I just don't get it. For all I know you guys are fifteen, which would explain a lot.

16340470.jpg

13 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That doesn't mean anything. Of course we'll 'come out the other side' as in the UK will still exist, its not going to sink. But in what state, in what timeframe and at what cost?  Come out the other side what a load of fuckin shite tbh. 

I'd imagine in very poor economic shape to begin with, followed by a recovery. The middle classes will have a lot of money saved up. This year will likely be transitional, and end a lot better, though with anxieties next winter. The pandemic phase will be over for most of the world by this time next year. Again, that is just the majority scientific consensus, and it would follow the same pattern as previous pandemics.

Maybe we'll have another 'roaring twenties', as happened after the last public health emergency of this magnitude. Let's just hope this one doesn't end with Wall Street crashing and fascism rising up again.

Edited by Elixir

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

I'd imagine in very poor economic shape to begin with, followed by a recovery. The middle classes will have a lot of money saved up. This year will likely be transitional, and end a lot better, though with anxieties next winter. The pandemic phase will be over for most of the world by this time next year. Again, that is just the majority scientific consensus, and it would follow the same pattern as previous pandemics.

Maybe we'll have another 'roaring twenties', as happened after the last public health emergency of this magnitude. Let's just hope this one doesn't end with Wall Street crashing and fascism rising up again.

Well lets hope so. Reminder we just committed the greatest act of economic self-harm in human history, and will now have all our laws, regulations and standards rewritten by Jacob Rees Mogg on the back of a pandemic, but I'm sure everything will be fine.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

When can we expect the route map for X people vaccinated, Y & Z can then open again? 

I don't think they can say "after X people have been vaccinated", because they won't know exactly how that corresponds to cases or the spread of the disease. However, they absolutely should be saying "once the rate drops below Y" or "once ICU and/or hospital capacity drops below Z".

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't think they can say "after X people have been vaccinated", because they won't know exactly how that corresponds to cases or the spread of the disease. However, they absolutely should be saying "once the rate drops below Y" or "once ICU and/or hospital capacity drops below Z".

The thing is, this will happen naturally as we get into late spring and summer anyway.

Though obviously there will be other metrics to measure this by.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It's unreal. People see words like 'mutate' and 'evolve' and they think it's like a fucking Pokémon. 

The issue with the SA variant was that it mutated in many places at once, causing concern the vaccines may need tweaked to work. These fears turned out to be unfounded 

It is possible for specific areas to mutate that make it easier to evade anti-bodies (this may have been what I read about the Brazil variant but I can't be certain), but again, that hsoukd hopefully mean that tye vaccine would need tweaked to combat it, not that all current vaccines would be rendered useless. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

“Her Majesty’s Government”

That club is honestly weird as f*ck. Obsessed with a corrupt institute that doesn’t give two shits about them. A strange, strange bunch of people. Like, the gesture is appreciated, but calm the staunchness for one second, eh?

But what vaccines do you need to go into the cesspit?

At a far greater cost if we continue to impose draconian lockdown measures on the entirety of the population for any longer than is absolutely necessary

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Seriously I'd like to know how old you are. I never, ever, ever go around the forum hassling individual posters. As I am an adult. 

You may not like how I argue, but I'm talking about the subject at hand 100% of the time. Which is what a forum is for. I sometimes might call someone a p***k if they're being a p***k, but only within the confines of the debate already going on.

Never, ever, ever would I even consider going round the forum just to have a go at another poster, whilst not even taking part in the debate, but I get it from what five, six, maybe seven people on here, every single time I'm on.

So I'd like to know how old you are?

Going round the forum? Settle down. 
Ok within the confines of this debate youre being weird. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Never, ever, ever would I even consider going round the forum just to have a go at another poster, whilst not even taking part in the debate, but I get it from what five, six, maybe seven people on here, every single time I'm on..

I can easily get that in ten minutes.

My take is that - apart from the odd outlier - most posters get what they deserve both for good and ill and if you make contentious posts you have to accept that others will take issue with you.

I disagree with a fair few posters on here - especially on the politics thread - but I'd say that most are pretty fair-minded.

Fair play to Carnoustie for sitting on his hands for 10 months waiting for the mood swing of the thread, and then bang.   

20 pages every few hours of horrendous posting  and people are still biting. 😄

Will someone PM me once he starts posting again, I might have a poke or two.

The state of Pepp, gives an opinion and when someone trys giving their opinion or disagrees gets his knickers in a knot and starts shouting about qualifications.

6 hours ago, DAFC. said:

That club is honestly weird as f*ck. Obsessed with a corrupt institute that doesn’t give two shits about them. A strange, strange bunch of people. Like, the gesture is appreciated, but calm the staunchness for one second, eh?

While all the time Her Majesty was writing letters asking for the tax and NI contributions that pay for the the NHS, they were getting fucked straight in the bin.

6 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Those trees look photoshopped. We all know nothing grows on the Plains of Gorgoroth.