Conspiracy Theories

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Would you perhaps describe them as...

top-men.gif.e7a740c812af76c755f8e2ed2dc2c354.gif

Anyway, Americans are going nuts for the upcoming eclipse. Not only are they thinking it's some sign from God because the intersection of the paths of this one and the last one go over a town called Rapture or somesuch, they're also worried that CERN are doing Physics shit on the 8th and NASA are shooting probes at the Sun in some kind of Mission named after a serpent god. Really need to stop looking at Twitter and Facebook tbh.

Yeah, Marge’s boyfriend among them. Maybe I should try to find him on Tuesday and tell him that all my family got raptured but I didn’t, so he mustn’t have either.

IMG_3940.png

52 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Yeah, Marge’s boyfriend among them. Maybe I should try to find him on Tuesday and tell him that all my family got raptured but I didn’t, so he mustn’t have either.

IMG_3940.png

He's nine or ten billion years out with the opening fact, if time did indeed start at the big bang. 

On 04/04/2024 at 15:05, coprolite said:

Weather can be engineered to a limited extent. Rainclouds can be "seeded" with silver nitrate to increase the likelihood of them dropping rain. It's a fair bit short of control.

Last i heard of it was some region in the south of Spain (Andalusia maybe) wanted to do it because they'd a long drought and clouds kept goin over and dropping rain inland. The inland types didn't want the coastal b*****ds stealing their clouds. 

It's only a wee stretch from that to Davos making it foggy so that Hilary Clinton and Bill Gates can eat babies without being seen. 

They should do some research on where the precipitation in Iberia predominantly occurs.

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

IMG_3940.png

Happy to go, hell is where all the freaky and fun people will be.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

If the alternative turned out to be spending eternity in the company of folk like Jacob Rees-Mogg, Donald Trump and Marjorie Taylor Greene, no ta.

Mind you, if Heaven and Hell exist, it would take a brave commentator to allocate these folk between them.  I don't see the Donald being content to sit around all day praising anyone else, but you never know.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Are you claiming to have a soul now?

Man, this AI is getting better all the time. Unfortunately, no heaven or hell for you. You'll just get unplugged and put in the skip.

15 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Most people, maybe nearly everyone, will believe something that completely goes against evidence and will be unmovable from that position. There are millenarian cults who have predicted that the world will end on a specific date and when it hasn’t the cult has actually prospered.

That said, almost everyone who doesn’t believe in global warming or the general consensus around it, is a mad crank.

It’s almost a meme in our culture that the lone voice who everyone ridicules turns out to be right, it’s the theme of so many movies, TV shows and books. We should probably start producing shows about problems solved by careful planning and measured execution, where the subject matter experts and interested parties work collaboratively and professionally. The naysayers should be proved wrong and left to fester in their oddness.

It's true of fiction in general TBH. Generations of Americans have been brought up seeing that you point a gun at a problem, pull the trigger, and it permanently and immediately goes away with the minimum of fuss. They're absolutely horrified by the mess and suffering involved when they're finally in the presence of a shooting (apart from the psychopaths who inured themselves to it by torturing small animals).

I'm quite partial to the "mad crank turns out to have been correct about a ridiculous conspiracy" genre, but not enough to pretend it's anything other than fiction, just like I enjoy Dirty Harry, Death Wish, or a good superhero film but don't really want to live in a world where fascist strongmen can do what they want with impunity.

51 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Are you claiming to have a soul now?

Man, this AI is getting better all the time. Unfortunately, no heaven or hell for you. You'll just get unplugged and put in the skip.

I actually prefer Piers Anthony’s version, where my mottled soul would simply fall to pieces as Thanatos attempted to classify it because I decline to participate in the system.

Given the behavior of a number of computers I’ve owned, I would certainly attribute a soul to a few of them.

I suspect your version of hell might involve classifying tanks…I just hope mine would have a Liz Hurley thread.

29 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I actually prefer Piers Anthony’s version, where my mottled soul would simply fall to pieces as Thanatos attempted to classify it because I decline to participate in the system.

Given the behavior of a number of computers I’ve owned, I would certainly attribute a soul to a few of them.

I suspect your version of hell might involve classifying tanks…I just hope mine would have a Liz Hurley thread.

Surely you'd prefer pics of a ZX81 in a Playstation 5 case.

Phwoar.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

That’s definitely turned my floppy into a solid state. 

As young as you are, probably a 3.5”, eh? Us old systems, er, folks have 8”ers.

20 minutes ago, TxRover said:

As young as you are, probably a 3.5”, eh? Us old systems, er, folks have 8”ers.

An old COBOL programmer I knew kept a magnetic data platter from a system he'd worked on in the Sixties. It was about as wide as his arm span and probably held so little data that you could get someone to just memorise it.

Definitely overcompensating for something back in those days.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

An old COBOL programmer I knew kept a magnetic data platter from a system he'd worked on in the Sixties. It was about as wide as his arm span and probably held so little data that you could get someone to just memorise it.

Definitely overcompensating for something back in those days.

The most popular floppy disk brand in the 8” (and 5 1/4”) days was “Elephant”…just saying.

Worse, I took a class in COBOL…

One that I heard on the radio on the way home last night is the Chinese are the world’s largest producer of electric cars. Apparently the world is quaking in their boots, especially the Americans. 
It’s believed they are putting spy software, cameras, and listening devices in their cars.  
The biggest worry being that folks take these cars into military bases etc with facial recognition capabilities.
Speculation is that they could also jam up road networks at the press of a button by remotely switching cars off, causing lost revenue to world economy. 
It’s not that far fetched I suppose. 

Uh oh - looks like there's going to be good weather this summer; better fake a worldwide pandemic and kill millions for an excuse to keep everyone indoors.

We need a good conspiracy theory to explain people who actually believe this stuff. Maybe brain worms from space? They don't show up on autopsies because they're invisible.

One of the problems with conspiracy theories/theorists, is that you can't argue with stupidity.  Stupid people don't know they're stupid, so there's no reasoning with them no matter how much evidence they're presented with.

Edited by MONKMAN