EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's the biggest problem with the absolute stauner all young top managers have for the pressing game, it absolutely fucks teams, so has no longevity. Look at Spurs in Poch, he ran them into the ground and had to move on.

Its a young man's game and can't be done by a team of 28 and 31 year olds. Effective but football will move past that too.

That’s how football’s always been. It goes through trends in style, tactics and formations. Every few years, some managers will come up with an effective set-up. Then some others try to mimic them. Then someone figures a way to negate their effectiveness. Then the cycle starts again.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Man Utd getting penalties. 

Comedy Central Lol GIF

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

That’s how football’s always been. It goes through trends in style, tactics and formations. Every few years, some managers will come up with an effective set-up. Then some others try to mimic them. Then someone figures a way to negate their effectiveness. Then the cycle starts again.

Yip. It's why Fergie was so good. He could adapt. Most managers can't.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Aye. I think the pressing game is just going over the hill now

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Comedy Central Lol GIF

Yip. It's why Fergie was so good. He could adapt. Most managers can't.

Thing I always liked best about Fergie was that despite having the players and the brain to adapt, if it came to it, pretty much all of his best sides could kick like f**k and be horrible b*****ds on the odd occasion they came up against a team who set that tone.

25 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye. I think the pressing game is just going over the hill now

Yep, and it makes for some very dull matches at times, especially in the Champions League. Some sides just sit in deep all game and if you’re lucky might occasionally hope to hit on the counter. The pressing game only works if there’s something to press.

24 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Yep. Wasn’t long ago the Conte system with wingbacks was all the rage. He turned Marcos Alonso into the best attacking player in the league for a while.

Yet it was just his version on the Rudy Gullit era Chelsea set-up from about 20 years before. Dan Petrescu is probably the first proper wingback I can think of playing down south.

Edited by 8MileBU

28 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Man Utd getting penalties. 

He's gone full Rafa. NEVER go full Rafa. 

I'm no Man United fan but it's quite funny to see the extent to which they live absolutely rent-free in the heads of everyone associated with Liverpool FC. 

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

At centre half they had three first-choice players and Fabinho can do a job there, so they were unlucky. But you'd think they'd have to spend there.

I'd not say they were unlucky. Centre half is, by some distance, the position where most injuries are suffered. It was beyond idiotic to go into the season with just three centre halves, especially when Matip is injured all the time.

The only assistant you can really claim did that was Carlos Queiroz
I'm not saying Fergie wasn't one of the greatest of all time but his strength was man management...he surrounded himself with the right people to keep his team evolving tactically. Mourinho has done the same when he joined Spurs.

Archie Knox showed his worth when he joined Smith at Rangers

Brian Kidd was the man behind the class of 92

Steve McLaren introduced video analysis and stats based coaching to Fergie. Also became a successful manager in his own right

Mike Phelan was fergie's assistant twice and he returned to be Solskjaer's assistant at the tail end of last season which has seen them go from mid table dross and Solskjaer out" to joint top with a game in hand and "Ole's at the wheel"

Rene Meulensteen was an important part of the end of Fergie's time and the plan was initially for him to stay on to assist Moyes. Moyes decided to bring in his own team and it didn't go quite to plan.

29 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'm not saying Fergie wasn't one of the greatest of all time but his strength was man management...he surrounded himself with the right people to keep his team evolving tactically. Mourinho has done the same when he joined Spurs.

Steve McLaren introduced video analysis and stats based coaching to Fergie. Also became a successful manager in his own right

Mike Phelan was fergie's assistant twice and he returned to be Solskjaer's assistant at the tail end of last season which has seen them go from mid table dross and Solskjaer out" to joint top with a game in hand and "Ole's at the wheel"

Rene Meulensteen was an important part of the end of Fergie's time and the plan was initially for him to stay on to assist Moyes. Moyes decided to bring in his own team and it didn't go quite to plan.

Eric Harrison was the ''man behind the class of 92''

they were all good assistants, but Queiroz had a real say over how things went, which lead to....

Spoiler

See the source image

8 hours ago, David W said:

I'd not say they were unlucky. Centre half is, by some distance, the position where most injuries are suffered. It was beyond idiotic to go into the season with just three centre halves, especially when Matip is injured all the time.

Fair point, especially this season.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Fair point, especially this season.

I'm just not having that at all.

CB's are big and strong, and do less running than any other outfield player, and get kicked less too.

I would imagine, except for goalkeepers, they get injured less than other players.  It seems a wild claim that they are by far the most injured.

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Is that why he hired Walter Smith at the end of 2003 🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Aye, that's why none of them have done f**k all on their own. Fergie was a genius at every aspect of management, not just man management.  

I'm just not having that at all.
CB's are big and strong, and do less running than any other outfield player, and get kicked less too.
I would imagine, except for goalkeepers, they get injured less than other players.  It seems a wild claim that they are by far the most injured.
A quick search on Google would suggest that Attackers are the most injured, defensive midfielders the least.