Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Rest and Be Thankful: £470m tunnel to protect vehicles from landslips - BBC News

_129956769_debris.jpg

Mingboggling this cover will cost half a billion £ (before over-runs/etc.).

Well over £300,000-per-metre.

Seems a hell of a lot, I'm guessing the fact it's in a remote location plays into it but you would imagine a lot of it's could be prefabricated concrete slabs that just need stuck together.

15 minutes ago, 101 said:

Seems a hell of a lot, I'm guessing the fact it's in a remote location plays into it but you would imagine a lot of it's could be prefabricated concrete slabs that just need stuck together.

I expect the expense is driving piles deep enough to then mount your slab onto so the slabs can’t collapse and turn the motorists into the jammy filling between the roadway and the roof?

I doubt they'll need piles as I think rock will be pretty shallow. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a significant cost involved with upgrading the Old Military Road in the valley to use during construction. At the moment that's phased one-way traffic when the Rest is shut which isn't really an option for the length of time it'll take to build this. 

I'm also not sure if the plan is to go onto the roof to clear slippage when required - I assume it is.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I doubt they'll need piles as I think rock will be pretty shallow. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a significant cost involved with upgrading the Old Military Road in the valley to use during construction. At the moment that's phased one-way traffic when the Rest is shut which isn't really an option for the length of time it'll take to build this. 

I'm also not sure if the plan is to go onto the roof to clear slippage when required - I assume it is.

With the weight of the slabs for the roof, plus the possible slip weights, and the lateral loads involved, they’ll certainly need to drive some piles. Additionally, the rock in question is the same rock that’s slipping, which suggests it is a material subject to stress failures,

• 2 weeks later...

Beattock Primary school roof water damage will cost £1.6m - BBC News

A Dumfries and Galloway primary school needs a new £1.6m roof after its design and construction led to serious water damage, a report has found.

An investigation into Beattock Primary School, near Moffat, found it was at risk of "complete structural failure". The school was built just 12 years ago. An inspection of a "minor leak" revealed there was extensive water damage in multiple areas of the roof.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

A Dumfries and Galloway primary school needs a new £1.6m roof after its design and construction led to serious water damage, a report has found.

An investigation into Beattock Primary School, near Moffat, found it was at risk of "complete structural failure". The school was built just 12 years ago. An inspection of a "minor leak" revealed there was extensive water damage in multiple areas of the roof.

Probably designed by the same firm that made the Titan sub...

On 03/06/2023 at 16:53, 101 said:

Wait til the cost rises to over 1bn

On 22/06/2023 at 15:59, HibeeJibee said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65644082

That case is worse. Half the size it needs to be. And I know there are more like this in the near future. A shambles.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

They seem to say there is a low uptake and its lossmaking - which may be true.

But I wonder how people who are out late / early morning get back to more outlying areas? Are there enough taxis/ubers in Glasgow?

I grew up on the outskirts of Edinburgh, and (many moons ago !) remember walking for miles as there were no taxis - the night bus back then was a lifesaver for many.

Cant see this getting a positive reaction from groups advocating for safety of women at night....................

Just now, Leith Green said:

They seem to say there is a low uptake and its lossmaking - which may be true.

But I wonder how people who are out late / early morning get back to more outlying areas? Are there enough taxis/ubers in Glasgow?

I grew up on the outskirts of Edinburgh, and (many moons ago !) remember walking for miles as there were no taxis - the night bus back then was a lifesaver for many.

Cant see this getting a positive reaction from groups advocating for safety of women at night....................

There are absolutely not enough taxis/ubers in Glasgow for this. And the ones that are available charge you through the nose. I got charged near enough £20 for a taxi journey that's about 12 minutes a while ago. And then you have the black hacks that you see knocking people back because they're either not willing to drive somewhere or they're "cash only" despite having stickers slapped on the outside that say they take card. 

The night bus going is just another shitshow from the city with the most disjointed & unreliable public transport you've ever seen. 

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

There are absolutely not enough taxis/ubers in Glasgow for this. And the ones that are available charge you through the nose. I got charged near enough £20 for a taxi journey that's about 12 minutes a while ago. And then you have the black hacks that you see knocking people back because they're either not willing to drive somewhere or they're "cash only" despite having stickers slapped on the outside that say they take card. 

The night bus going is just another shitshow from the city with the most disjointed & unreliable public transport you've ever seen. 

I was in town with the missus for a meal at the start of June, we are 3 miles from the city centre and it cost 11 quid for a private hire into town, and 16 for a black hackney back home. (And it was cash only)

It was apparent that the pubs started to get quieter from about 11, and we reckoned it was due to folk heading for the bus or train home, rather than arse about for a taxi.

I went up and down the A9 last week, only work being done is the reroute to inveralmond roundabout north of Perth.

Other than the extension at crubenmore and a bit at Aviemore(ish) has there been any other areas duelled since the announcement?

48 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

33 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I was in town with the missus for a meal at the start of June, we are 3 miles from the city centre and it cost 11 quid for a private hire into town, and 16 for a black hackney back home. (And it was cash only)

It was apparent that the pubs started to get quieter from about 11, and we reckoned it was due to folk heading for the bus or train home, rather than arse about for a taxi.

Interesting one about the black cabs - we were in Glasgow with friends recently and were all going to Finnieston. It was lunchtime so plenty of taxis outside Queen St Station..........but as you guys say, all cash only !

3 out of the 4 couples had no cash, which wast a biggie as the drivers just pulled up outside a bank to let us take out money - but it is a bit of a PITA especially when (post Covid) almost everywhere takes cards, indeed a fair few places are card only.

My old man ran a taxi business many years ago, so I appreciate the (ahem) tax advantages of cash - but for every cab on the rank to be cash only was hilarious and unheard of !!

Just now, Leith Green said:

Interesting one about the black cabs - we were in Glasgow with friends recently and were all going to Finnieston. It was lunchtime so plenty of taxis outside Queen St Station..........but as you guys say, all cash only !

3 out of the 4 couples had no cash, which wast a biggie as the drivers just pulled up outside a bank to let us take out money - but it is a bit of a PITA especially when (post Covid) almost everywhere takes cards, indeed a fair few places are card only.

My old man ran a taxi business many years ago, so I appreciate the (ahem) tax advantages of cash - but for every cab on the rank to be cash only was hilarious and unheard of !!

A few months ago I was getting a taxi from the Merchant City and there were 2 guys at the front of the queue trying to get a taxi to East Kilbride. We must have been about 8 or 9 folk back in the queue and wound up in a taxi before them. You'd have thought they were asking for a lift to the moon going by some of the reaction of the drivers when we got to the front. 

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

A few months ago I was getting a taxi from the Merchant City and there were 2 guys at the front of the queue trying to get a taxi to East Kilbride. We must have been about 8 or 9 folk back in the queue and wound up in a taxi before them. You'd have thought they were asking for a lift to the moon going by some of the reaction of the drivers when we got to the front. 

There's the problem right there - they were looking for a lift, rather than pay for a taxi ride...