Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

2 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

That's such a wild take. 

This man is in charge of transport policy in the capital city of Scotland!?

It's an utterly bizarre position to take. Looking forward to the business case for a team barreling through Lochend Park in the future. 

5 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

That's such a wild take. 

This man is in charge of transport policy in the capital city of Scotland!?

The change is against the interests of some people  but in favour of the interests of others 

Motorists can seem arrogant and  entitled to Cyclists but Cyclists can seem arrogant and entitled to pedestrians 

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The change is against the interests of some people  but in favour of the interests of others 

Motorists can seem arrogant and  entitled to Cyclists but Cyclists can seem arrogant and entitled to pedestrians 

If I'm honest i was grouping peds and cyclists together in my head.

I took his post to be that because in his mind women don't feel comfortable using it late at night it's fair game to get rid of it. Despite the many (men and women) who cycle, walk, run, push the pram or walk the dog along it every day.

8 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

I took his post to be that because in his mind women don't feel comfortable using it late at night it's fair game to get rid of it. Despite the many (men and women) who cycle, walk, run, push the pram or walk the dog along it every day.

Perhaps he's just grasping at any straw to justify a decision he's already made

17 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

So was the guy quoting Strava data

i use Strava for running 

the broader point is that while obviously cyclists should argue their case they should at least realise their’s are just one of a set of competing interests 

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

So was the guy quoting Strava data

i use Strava for running 

the broader point is that while obviously cyclists should argue their case they should at least realise their’s are just one of a set of competing interests 

One of these people is the Head of Transport in our Capital City, the other is not.

On 02/02/2024 at 23:13, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This is undoubtedly true of some cyclists - and as I am one, I despair at how some behave.

However, it is also true to state that while there have been regular fatalities caused by vehicles hitting cyclists on the road in Edinburgh, I can think of no cases where a cyclist has killed a pedestrian on bike/ped paths.

I dont think the concept of a N/S tram line is daft, its just that to remove a segregated cycle path..........at the time they want more people to cycle...........is fucking stupid if the alternative is to force people on to a road. I am an experienced cyclist, and also drive - I still get situations where driver behaviour scares the shit out of me.

If we want to encourage kids and nervous people on to bikes - this isnt the answer.

On 02/02/2024 at 23:13, topcat(The most tip top) said:

TBF cyclists seem arrogant and entitled to everyone apart from other cyclists.

What an arsehole. A couple of cyclists were mugged on the Blackhall path and had their bikes nicked by some cretins. Enter Scott Arthur who links this to the murder of Sarah Everard and the need for brightly lit cycle paths to stop this kind of stuff happening which, of course, is a thinly veiled promotion of the new tram line going down the Roseburn path because it will make it nice and bright.

• 3 weeks later...

'Lessons learned' as Ferguson ferry costs rise again - BBC News

'Lessons learned' as Ferguson ferry costs rise again

The boss of the nationalised Ferguson shipyard has said lessons have been learned, as further costs and delays to two new Calmac ferries were confirmed.

MV Glen Sannox is now due for handover in late May or June, six years late, and cost have risen by up to £7m. The second ship MV Glen Rosa is now due in September next year but Ferguson chief executive David Tydeman said he hoped it would be three months earlier. He told MSPs: "We have learned all the lessons from Glen Sannox."

If all goes well with the commissioning of the LNG systems on Glen Sannox, he said he hoped it would be delivered by late May or early June. West coast ferry operator CalMac will then need to conduct its own sea trials so the ship, destined for the Arran route, is unlikely to be carrying passengers until August or September.

Mr Tydeman told MSPs on the net zero and transport committee that the LNG technology was well-established but had taken up a "disproportionate" amount of the effort to complete the ships. He said the latest delays were because the engine manufacturer was unable to supply essential LNG pipework when required, and the yard had been forced to engage alternative suppliers.

A resulting two-month delay in the handover of Glen Sannox meant the cost to complete the ship will be up to £149.1m, he earlier confirmed in a letter. The cost to complete Glen Rosa could be up to "maximum" of £150m but Mr Tydeman hopes to shave £10m off that figure by "capturing" learning from the first ship.

The latest cost figures do not include money spent on the ships prior to nationalisation, which take the total cost of the ships to around £400m if written-off government loans are included. The contract price was £97m.

Despite the problems with Glen Sannox and Glen Rosa, Mr Tydeman said the world shipbuilding market was buoyant and there were potential opportunities for the Inverclyde shipyard. He listed areas such as offshore wind support ships or crew transport vessels, as well as sub-contracting on military orders. In the short term, the yard is hoping to secure a contract for seven smaller all-electric vessels for CalMac which would provide a steady flow of work in the coming years.

A request for £25m of Scottish government funding for new equipment, which would make the shipyard more productive, was turned down last year, but Ferguson Marine executives said they would present a revised request shortly. Mr Tydeman said at the moment there would be a "small premium" in buying the small ferries from a Scottish shipyard compared with cheaper yards in Europe.

Saw this earlier.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-street-has-over-100-32230982

Our sons nursery was in this general area and we would occasionally have to park on one of these private roads. They have to be seen to be believed - houses worth millions, but the road has potholes that are literally feet deep. It looks like something from a war zone.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The pot holes in my street are a fucking disgrace. 

13 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Demand better potholes 

Make Soctland Pot-Holey Again!

12 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Our street is in magnificent nick.

Over to you @Hedgecutter

IMG_20240315_205458.jpg

Definitely an improvement on the previous paintwork 😉

Screenshot_20240316-0933453.thumb.png.fae5fbfbd0fc80b1f2517f3819a78b5d.png

Eta: I didn't ask for these powers.

Edited by Hedgecutter