Done once, never again

One of my first jobs was a production joinery factory.  I was pretty hopeless as an uninterested teenager.  But I found my purpose in that job with burning excess wood.  I was out one day doing my best to increase our carbon footprint.  Anyway some other guy came over, dropped a few items in the flames, made some small talk then kicked an old paint tub into the fire.  Unfortunately that tub was full of turpentine that I used to get the fire going.  It splashed over me on my right hand side.  Then I caught fire.  Not literally.  

Anyway in a bit of a panic I ran into the building.  A man who saw me called Brian screamed, then ran out the building.  It was about then I started feeling pain.  I don’t recommend it.  I don’t remember much after that.  But I can mind being in hospital for a few days.  The burns actually weren’t that bad.  I’ve no scarring,  but I had to lie on my left side for a good few weeks.  Nowadays I would have probably sued.  But it wasn’t done back then.

Anyway the company went bust not long after and Brian’s probably retired or dead now.  But I’ll never do that again.

1, Camping   2, Hillwalking, 3 Golf, 4, Going by bus from Scotland to Spain, 5, Paying to watch a testimonial match for some millionaire footballer, 6, Borrowing money to go to said testimonial match, 7, Having a heart attack, 8, Joining the Freemasons, 9, Talking to Freemasons if I can knowingly help it, 10, Watching meaningless friendlies in public parks in the rain when even the manager cant be arsed turning up, 11, trying to be friendly to c***s you obviously don't like.12, saying Yes when you really mean No., 13, talking to Freemasons that play golf., 14, kidding yourself on that something might be good when its obviously going to be shite 15, Going to Hampden, 16, believing the football authorities are there to help you, 17, reading Rabbie Burns, 18, watching films with subtitles

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Heroin.

Fucking hell thats dark, I half expected some jovial p&b responses like ‘spent a day killing cows’ ‘shagged a hunchback’ or ‘made up a fake friend called Tony with a full backstory to try and win adulation on a football story and settle a petty argument with someone ive never met’ but there we go right in with a dose of reality. 

3 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

1, Camping   2, Hillwalking, 3 Golf, 4, Going by bus from Scotland to Spain, 5, Paying to watch a testimonial match for some millionaire footballer, 6, Borrowing money to go to said testimonial match, 7, Having a heart attack, 8, Joining the Freemasons, 9, Talking to Freemasons if I can knowingly help it, 10, Watching meaningless friendlies in public parks in the rain when even the manager cant be arsed turning up, 11, trying to be friendly to c***s you obviously don't like.12, saying Yes when you really mean No., 13, talking to Freemasons that play golf., 14, kidding yourself on that something might be good when its obviously going to be shite 15, Going to Hampden, 16, believing the football authorities are there to help you, 17, reading Rabbie Burns, 18, watching films with subtitles

I think the heart attack one may be outwith your control. 

Running a marathon. I did the Edinburgh one back in 2011 which was an absolutely shite experience. I injured my knee whilst training which flared up again at about 16 miles into the actual event. The last 6 miles were directly into a headwind on a pretty hot day. I was totally broken by the time i finished and in agony for days. f**k ever doing that again.