P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division A: DiegoDiegoPB defeats Strachanovski.

I really enjoyed this game. Both of us played pretty cautiously in the opening with lots of minor manoeuvring of pieces. Then I spotted a rather ridiculous tactic involving a knight sacrifice. One which a good few here probably would have found, but probably none of us would have seen coming from the other side with so many pieces still on the board. After that his king was pretty exposed and I threw the kitchen sink at it, ending up back level on material by the time checkmate arrived.

Easily the most fun I've had in the league so far. It wasn't my most accurate game by a long shot, but I'm not bothered by that. Thanks a lot for the game Strachanovski, hopefully you enjoyed it too despite the loss.

Division B, Dandies1983 bt hammysgetinpumped 

Certainly not one for the purists as quite a few mistakes on both sides. Managed to get myself in a pretty comfortable position but I coughed up one of my knights. However, hammy then brought out his Queen with his King stuck on then back row so was able to get a checkmate in 

Very much needed to win that to ease relegation play off fears!

2 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Division B, Dandies1983 bt hammysgetinpumped 

Certainly not one for the purists as quite a few mistakes on both sides. Managed to get myself in a pretty comfortable position but I coughed up one of my knights. However, hammy then brought out his Queen with his King stuck on then back row so was able to get a checkmate in 

Very much needed to win that to ease relegation play off fears!

Good game, 4 blunders didn't help my cause.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Division A: DiegoDiegoPB defeats Strachanovski.

I really enjoyed this game. Both of us played pretty cautiously in the opening with lots of minor manoeuvring of pieces. Then I spotted a rather ridiculous tactic involving a knight sacrifice. One which a good few here probably would have found, but probably none of us would have seen coming from the other side with so many pieces still on the board. After that his king was pretty exposed and I threw the kitchen sink at it, ending up back level on material by the time checkmate arrived.

Easily the most fun I've had in the league so far. It wasn't my most accurate game by a long shot, but I'm not bothered by that. Thanks a lot for the game Strachanovski, hopefully you enjoyed it too despite the loss.

Enjoyed it as well, thought everything was ticking along nicely, and then you floored me with the haymaker queen move and I was knocked spark out.😄

Thank you.

Division A: Madwullie defeats DiegoDiegoPB

Another fun game. I made a rip roaring c**t of the opening, losing my queen early doors. I almost resigned right then, but in the end thought Wullie would probably rather I played on for a bit. So I went baws oot with a king-side pawn storm which I'd like to think made him have a moment or two of thought. There was only ever going to be one winner after about move five though. Hope you enjoyed it.

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Division A: Madwullie defeats DiegoDiegoPB

Another fun game. I made a rip roaring c**t of the opening, losing my queen early doors. I almost resigned right then, but in the end thought Wullie would probably rather I played on for a bit. So I went baws oot with a king-side pawn storm which I'd like to think made him have a moment or two of thought. There was only ever going to be one winner after about move five though. Hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks mate. Couldn't believe my luck with the queen, and after that it was just a matter of making sure I used that advantage well. 

I definitely felt hemmed in for most of the game, and just couldn't seem to get my pawns out and about, which is always a problem I have. Pawn structure is def something me and the boys will be working on in training.

I managed to pick off your pieces one by one and always seemed able to put you in check if things were getting a bit hairy to give me some breathing space. 

Definitely would have been a much different game without the Queen slip up. 

Good game 🤝 

That's my fixtures done btw, so if you fancy a friendly to put some ghosts to bed, feel free. 

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

LudoNo1 beat PurpleKangaroo89 in the league. I felt like I needed to win and pushed too hard and Ludo played very well.

You got your queen stuck in a bit of a no win situation and then accepted by trade-off which was your queen and 2 rooks  for my queen, bishop & 1 rook which was a wee bit surprising. I then just tried to simplify the game as much as possible by trading pieces.

It was a fair punch up. Enjoyed it! Thanks for the game.

I also beat @gkneil He had me on the ropes very early on and put me under quite a bit of pressure, I then doubled up the rooks behind 3 advancing pawns and he went for the trade-off which was a complete bloodbath every piece was taken bar a selection of pawns on each side and my dark squared bishop upon which he resigned after I went after his remaining pawns.

I've done a fair bit of reading on the black set-up I play and everything I've read suggests it's an absolutely garbage tier opening, but it's been a massive success for me in this league. I don't know if it's the element of surprise or what but it fair gives me a chance of solidifying the centre of the board. I won't play it against @DiegoDiego because he scouts players but it's made pretty much most of my daily games enjoyable.

I tend to play 3 minute blitz on Chess.com, and I suck balls. I average about the mid-to top 900s in rating. The daily games have been a revelation because I'm actually able to spend about 20-30 minutes just looking at different moves and planning them out and how to counter certain things.

Division C Round 15, GordonS496 beats Sav1876.

The boys done a professional job, laid down a marker in midfield early doors and took their chances when they came. They've earned themselves a few beers but we've got another match to deal with that's important if we want a top half position. We don't want to do a St Mirren.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How the boys felt in the dressing room after the game: image.png.a42e9f6e2a28b0314c0aa6687c951bb3.png

More exclusive images from the home team support post-match: image.png.facc1a70b2be26d85bd32191bae50c89.png

😄 That blurred image bears quite the resemblance to me, in more ways than one!

Well played @Stellaboz, well deserved. You have certainly improved since our last meeting.

Johnnydun out.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

😄 That blurred image bears quite the resemblance to me, in more ways than one!

Well played @Stellaboz, well deserved. You have certainly improved since our last meeting.

Johnnydun out.

Thank you.

Just watched that game, you got your baws booted there. Mackieboz took a while to find their feet at this level but they've come onto a game now and can look towards next season with some optimism. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

How the boys felt in the dressing room after the game: image.png.a42e9f6e2a28b0314c0aa6687c951bb3.png

More exclusive images from the home team support post-match: image.png.facc1a70b2be26d85bd32191bae50c89.png

Congratulations on the win. Been hoping you'd get it after seeing you get agonisingly close a few rounds ago.

Always like seeing an excuse to wheel out the picture of that raging Rovers supporter as well😂

It's been a relatively slow start this week in my games against @DeeTillEhDeh and @Scorge. Partly because most of yesterday was a write off after sinking a few too many beers in celebration of the return of League One and partly because playing these two at the same time is draining my cognitive functions faster than the flux capacitor jumping back and forward in time.

Spoiler

image.png.504abe72349845fcd15ce66be0176fca.png

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's been a relatively slow start this week in my games against @DeeTillEhDeh and @Scorge. Partly because most of yesterday was a write off after sinking a few too many beers in celebration of the return of League One and partly because playing these two at the same time is draining my cognitive functions faster than the flux capacitor jumping back and forward in time.

Reveal hidden contents

I have a funny feeling offering up the big 'un may backfire on me at some point. Sometimes you gotta 'roll em.

dice.jpg.e51f1c3187aafc7bc7844590f06f8738.jpg

7 minutes ago, Scorge said:

I have a funny feeling offering up the big 'un may backfire on me at some point. Sometimes you gotta 'roll em.

dice.jpg.e51f1c3187aafc7bc7844590f06f8738.jpg

Aye. Early Queen exchanges are funny like that. I'm never totally sure whether it's giving me an advantage or it's a mistake.

It's been a relatively slow start this week in my games against [mention=22650]DeeTillEhDeh[/mention] and [mention=3174]Scorge[/mention]. Partly because most of yesterday was a write off after sinking a few too many beers in celebration of the return of League One and partly because playing these two at the same time is draining my cognitive functions faster than the flux capacitor jumping back and forward in time.
Spoiler

You managed one move in almost 24 hours - not many since either.

Nicely poised though.

Division C Round 15, GordonS496 beats DieHardDoonhamer. Thought the resignation was a wee bit premature against someone with as much capacity for self-sabotage as me, I'd got lead in a tactical mid-game of a rook and a couple of pawns plus better position but I could have thrown that. I don't think I would have, I was playing alright and I liked the position, but I'm glad I'm not having to find out!

GG.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Division C Round 15, GordonS496 beats DieHardDoonhamer. Thought the resignation was a wee bit premature against someone with as much capacity for self-sabotage as me, I'd got lead in a tactical mid-game of a rook and a couple of pawns plus better position but I could have thrown that. I don't think I would have, I was playing alright and I liked the position, but I'm glad I'm not having to find out!

GG.

You were 10 points up, and looking at the analysis had made no mistakes to my 5. There was no way I was getting back in to it.

Another example of me getting fixated on one play and missing what my opponent was doing completely.

A well deserved win for your, well played.