European Super League.

Lofarl

I can't get excited by this falling on its arse, because for me, the damage was done long, long ago.  I wasn't even upset by the proposals in the first place because it's ages since I've given a toss about the top end of the club game.

I just wish there had been a fraction of this resistance decades ago to the setting up of the EPL, the SPL and the CL.  It seems that what makes this a bridge too far for fans, pundits and politicians is the idea of a closed shop, that insulates sides from the cost of failing on the field.

However, so much of the change we've seen in the game, from grotesque financial distribution models to dropping into the UEFA Cup, to parachute payments, has been designed to do just that.  

It seems that maintaining this illusion of fairness, of genuine competition, while actually strangling its chances of happening, is enough for most. 

I wish more of us saw through it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Once this collapses, the first thing that needs to happen is that the owners of Liverpool and Manchester United get hunted right out the door. Absolute c***s. Then deal with the 6 for their pish. 

This is just basic human behaviour when you really want something that others don’t though isn’t it? Get it out in the open first to see what the initial reaction is, back down and then come up with a different way of getting what you wanted all along. Unless the owners and their advisers are genuinely as out of touch as they have come across here.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Surprised by how quickly this has collapsed.

I think the ESL clubs seriously underestimated the reaction from their own fans.

Very much seems the case Perez, Woodward (under the Glazers' direction) and Henry were the ones really driving this. There are a few of the clubs that appeared to only go along with it for fear of being left out. 

I don't think there's an illusion that this would be extremely unpopular at all - a statement was sneaked out late on Sunday night and no one except Perez has given any sort of statement about it. The club managers and players, at least in England, were left to take the questions of something they knew nothing about. 

Perez, meanwhile, best be getting his next statement ready. 

bagdad-bob.jpg

Once this collapses, the first thing that needs to happen is that the owners of Liverpool and Manchester United get hunted right out the door. Absolute c***s. Then deal with the 6 for their pish. 

Could the league declare them not fit? Is that a thing down south for the owners?

So existing clubs will not be part of the ESL... but could we actually then just see Merseyside Reds, London Blues, Turin Zebras etc set up which then buy over existing clubs to play in another ESL. These fuckers will push this through any which way they can if there is $$$ to be made.

15 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The PL need to hammer the 6 for this treachery. They have to dock points. Forget fines, that’s not going to hurt them. 15 points deduction minimum to ensure it never happens again.

I'd be wary of making martyrs out of them. The fans of those clubs are the ones that suffer from points deductions,not the club owners.  

So existing clubs will not be part of the ESL... but could we actually then just see Merseyside Reds, London Blues, Turin Zebras etc set up which then buy over existing clubs to play in another ESL. These fuckers will push this through any which way they can if there is $$$ to be made.
Nah because nae c**t would watch it. Perez showing himself to be way out of touch with those comments (not for the first time in the last 48 hours)

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

This is just basic human behaviour when you really want something that others don’t though isn’t it? Get it out in the open first to see what the initial reaction is, back down and then come up with a different way of getting what you wanted all along. Unless the owners and their advisers are genuinely as out of touch as they have come across here.

I think they thought it was the equivalent of moving an NFL franchise to a new city.

To be fair the British public have accepted an incredible amount of shite with barely a whimper in the last decade. Don't mess with football though.

Edited by Detournement

7 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
25 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:
Did you hear what he said a minute ago?  "We'll just create a new Man City". Wow, the arrogance is astonishing, though a cheeky element of truth in it.

Link for that?

Can't find it, buried on Twitter among lots of jokes about creating new Germany etc.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think they thought it was the equivalent of moving an NFL franchise to a new city.

To be fair the British public have accepted an incredible amount of shite with barely a whimper in the last decade. Don't mess with football though.

As Sevco found out in 2012.