Elgin City 2021-22

Re Hester - It’s a hard pass from me if Elgin are expecting anything like £50k for him. Are they just deliberately pricing him out of the market? as I can’t see any part-time (or many full-time) clubs paying that for anyone. perhaps Cove but I’d be very disappointed if Arbroath paid anything like that for him.

A (much) lower fee plus a loan of a player or two, would be more like it.

6 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Re Hester - It’s a hard pass from me if Elgin are expecting anything like £50k for him. Are they just deliberately pricing him out of the market? as I can’t see any part-time (or many full-time) clubs paying that for anyone. perhaps Cove but I’d be very disappointed if Arbroath paid anything like that for him.

A (much) lower fee plus a loan of a player or two, would be more like it.

They have already been offered 30k. The vast majority of teams in the lower divisions are screaming they need a goal scorer every year. 

7 minutes ago, 1993 said:

They have already been offered 30k. The vast majority of teams in the lower divisions are screaming they need a goal scorer every year. 

Just my opinion, but there's a huge gap between £30k & £50k. Particularly if there's only one club bidding.

11 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

£50k? That's a big chunk of change for a part time team to pay out. Can't remember the last time a p/t team shelled out a lot in a transfer fee in recent years. I remember a few lower league clubs spending 4 figure sums to junior teams for players, but they tended to be 2k and the like. Morton (a full time team) paid 150k for Templeman from Brechin in the early 2000s and Hamilton, also f/t, paid 17.5k (which I believe was a jnr record) for Carrigan when they were first promoted to the then SPL. Anyone remember any sizeable part time transfer fees in relatively recent years?

The Templeman fee was nothing like £150k. That was the value of the deal including his wage for 3 years! 

No word of the new manager yet but knowing the board there’s maybe someone in it already and they’ve not mentioned here’s hoping that someone is in soon to get more of a team together before the new season

On one hand you could say it’s a typical Elgin appointment, the easy option, the continuity appointment when we really need to break the same old. On the other hand you can look at it as a new manager with new ideas who might take us in a different direction.

He seems to be a well liked lad so hopefully he makes a success of it. Needs to get it right quickly though. Fingers crossed.

20 minutes ago, 1993 said:

On one hand you could say it’s a typical Elgin appointment, the easy option, the continuity appointment when we really need to break the same old. On the other hand you can look at it as a new manager with new ideas who might take us in a different direction.

He seems to be a well liked lad so hopefully he makes a success of it. Needs to get it right quickly though. Fingers crossed.

Totally agree. On 1st thought it does seem an almost lazy appointment.  But he will certainly have a lot of contacts within the game. Cove going full time could be a decent avenue for some players who will remain part time mabye. Interesting few weeks ahead.

11 hours ago, 1993 said:

This was exactly my first thought as well. A typical (lazy,obvious) move from the board in what is going to be a massive season for the club.

On the other hand, he does seem like a popular member of the squad, looks like a 'winner' and should have quite a lot of contacts up the leagues. He has a massive job on his hands, thats for sure. Recruiting players better than what's currently there is going to be a big task but much needed!