Elgin City 2021-22

Terrible day for Elgin yesterday but they set their stall out early doors for a draw. Both their centre halves telling the young keeper to play for time at bye kicks in the first quarter of game fine when you’re 1-0 up in the last 15 but really?

Gavin Price always seemed a decent guy. The Elgin team of 2019-20 really looked as if they could go on an win promotion but were thwarted by the pandemic. Very unlucky.

Rovers by no means out of the woods yet after yesterday, this could go down to the wire.

Edited by Bucky

Sad way for it to end for Gav Price. His commitment to the club could never be questions and he comes across as a great guy but this had to happen to give us any chance of survival.

As for the board.. Giving him a new deal when you could see this type of run was coming. Was obvious last season. Early stages of this season the cracks were being papered over by Hesters goals. To then come out this week and back him and say he will see out his contract to then sack him a few days later. Absolute shambles. Lets hope they have a plan in place to save our league status

Interesting to see some Elgin folk thinking relegation would be a good thing as it would be a chance for the club to rebuild in the Highland League before asserting themselves once again as the dominant force in the north ahead of a return. 

If youse come down, youse are staying down. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Interesting to see some Elgin folk thinking relegation would be a good thing as it would be a chance for the club to rebuild in the Highland League before asserting themselves once again as the dominant force in the north ahead of a return. 

To be honest I thought if we went back to the highland league we’d struggle to get top spot so I doubt we’d be battling for the champions spot if we got back into the highland league plus there’s probably more highland league teams spending mega bucks in that league than there is in league 2 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Not sure who has said that but I think the majority of us know if we go down we wont be back for some time, if at all.

As gut wrenching as that late equaliser was last night that was the 1st bit of light at the end of the tunnel I have seen for months. The performance was decent, but more than that the whole crowd was behind the team the whole game with no negative shouts. If that continues on Saturday against Forfar I can see us possibly getting out of this mess.

3 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:

As gut wrenching as that late equaliser was last night that was the 1st bit of light at the end of the tunnel I have seen for months. The performance was decent, but more than that the whole crowd was behind the team the whole game with no negative shouts. If that continues on Saturday against Forfar I can see us possibly getting out of this mess.

Let's hope so!

The whole team played their hearts out and deserved to win. We were missing three of our regular defence, Cooper, Towler and Dolzanski, but Mailer could easily make RB his and Cairns was a more than adequate replacement at LB. I still don't rate Reid, although he scored. He seems to try and take balls down by sticking his foot up rather than chesting it down and all his headers seem to be flick ons to no-one. His non header in front of an open goal was easier to score than miss, but he managed to do that. Jamieson was a threat throughout and had his overhead kick struck the net, it would've been goal of the season. Hester was still chasing balls when he normally wouldn't bother.

One gripe (apart from Reid) was our lack of shots. They just seemed to want to dribble the ball in.

Any word on how Lawrence is after his collision with the post? 

Massive 3 points. Not a lot of quality on show from both sides but can’t fault our effort. They certainly scrapped for every ball and won the second ball on most occasions. Every player gave 100% but special mention to Cairns, he struggles in a lot of games but he gave very little away to Thomson, who is a good player and his block in the second half might have been the game winner.

58 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Massive 3 points. Not a lot of quality on show from both sides but can’t fault our effort. They certainly scrapped for every ball and won the second ball on most occasions. Every player gave 100% but special mention to Cairns, he struggles in a lot of games but he gave very little away to Thomson, who is a good player and his block in the second half might have been the game winner.

Massive win today. Much like Tueday crowd right behind them the whole game helped the team along. Really good day. With the other results going our way as well this has went a long way to guarantee safety. 

Totally agree on Cairns. He was outstanding today and I thought he was on Tuesday also, In a position that he badly struggled earlier in the campaign. 

Huge result! Any points are massive now but these ones actually came with a decent positive performance. Midweek and today we at least resemble a team and not just 11 players praying everything will just work out. It’s the hope that kills you but if we play like that for the remaining games we have a chance and that looked non existent for the past few months!

well what a difference 2 results can make. Certainly Not home and dry yet but Saturday was a big step. Does anyone think either of the interim management team have a shot at the job full time? The club have obviously advertised the post so I hope they take their time and interview a few different types and not just hand it to someone in the building because its the easy option. Saying that, if one of them is the best candidate for the job out of the applicants then great. 

They have already said they will wait to see what league we are in before recruiting, which is fair enough. If it were to be the HL then possibly CC would be in with a shout if he continues to do well and if he wants it. Draper also winding down his career may fancy a shot at it. The other obvious candidate at HL level is Graeme Stewart but he might not fancy leaving a successful club for another HL club. A return for Ross Jack I don’t think is out of the question and Dean Donaldson at Turriff has a good reputation and May fancy a go at a bigger club.

If we are in Div 2 I would think it will be a south based manager or someone in the north with a south based assistant. Draper might be a candidate in this scenario. I’ve no doubt there will be a lot of names in the frame.

Whoever it is will need to have contacts as recruitment has been and is difficult and a squad overhaul is needed.

Just my thoughts.