Elgin City 2021-22

Two very disappointing seasons in a row - I struggle to see how we would survive a 3rd! At least finishing 9th and not 8th means there can be no nonsense spouted about improvement on last season! The conference bullshit should be dismissed instantly! If we aren’t good enough to compete at this level then we should depart with a bit of dignity!

Elgin bigging up the appearance of Stevie Dunn yesterday, not sure I’d be drawing any publicity to a 52 year old having to play for them, not a great look for their youth development pathways and Elgin having also had a quite woeful season 

Aye, absolutely embarrassing tinpot stuff and we have previous for it. Facebook memories reminding me of 12 years ago today when we played Arbroath on the last game of the season, brought on 15 year old Stewart Black for the last couple of minutes then made a big deal about this wonderful "achievement" 🙄

Edited by WeAreElgin

20 hours ago, starryfish said:

Elgin bigging up the appearance of Stevie Dunn yesterday, not sure I’d be drawing any publicity to a 52 year old having to play for them, not a great look for their youth development pathways and Elgin having also had a quite woeful season 

Some of us in Coatbridge are less than impressed by this boasting. Reminds me of Germany v Austria in the World Cup years ago...

Big changes need to come. I know Tatters has done a lot for this club but I think his time as chairman is up. He has said that if someone wants to come in he'd step aside but really the club should actively looking to get someone in( have heard rumours that someone wants too but won't while tatters is there.)

2 hours ago, Shawheadrover said:

Some of us in Coatbridge are less than impressed by this boasting. Reminds me of Germany v Austria in the World Cup years ago...

Yep pretty embarrassing from us however the game was over when he came in.

1 hour ago, percyboy said:

Big changes need to come. I know Tatters has done a lot for this club but I think his time as chairman is up. He has said that if someone wants to come in he'd step aside but really the club should actively looking to get someone in( have heard rumours that someone wants too but won't while tatters is there.)

Hope whoever comes in then has football experience or brings someone with football experience to the board. Say what you want about Tatters but he brings a bit of football nous to the board, invaluable when selecting a new manager etc.

Well, thank feck that is over. Another dismal season. I think that will be our luck all used up now. If the board don't get this appointment right and then give the man the tools for a rebuild we will be down next season. As for trying to divert the attention by bringing on Steve Dunn - about sums us up just now to be honest

Just read a wee statement from mr tatters on the clubs Facebook page and no surprise really but kane has put in for a transfer request as he’s moved further down south and travelling up here is no longer his thing and a little paragraph on his opinion of the conference league a wee link below of the whole thing.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?fbid=696951852439640

First of all I am delighted to hear how scathing we are of the conference league idea. I suppose, as horrible as relegation would be, playing in the Highland League would bring numerous local derbies/fixtures but I still feared we might see it as a nice cushion from SPFL football.

Hester is obviously one of the best players in the lower leagues and losing him is a big blow. If I were to try and stay I'd positive I'd say we've become progressively more and more route one over the last few years with the thinking being 'get it to Hester and hope for the best' and this may encourage us to start playing some football again. The fact we see retaining 15 of the current squad as a good thing however, is concerning.

I'm not going to pretend I understand the stuff about the pitch but it sounds like short term it could be an issue and long term hopefully will do us some good. I'm glad we're taking our time over a new manager as the Charlesworth/Draper/Dunn trio hardly inspires.

Next season feels pivotal in our future, hope we get it right.

6 hours ago, cityloon said:

Just read a wee statement from mr tatters on the clubs Facebook page and no surprise really but kane has put in for a transfer request as he’s moved further down south and travelling up here is no longer his thing and a little paragraph on his opinion of the conference league a wee link below of the whole thing.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?fbid=696951852439640

Might be wrong, but the rumour was that Hester lives in forfar now.

I'm not taking his view on the Conference as scathing at all.

To me it reads like he doesn't want to draw attention to it and is pretending Elgin City won't play that big a part in it being implemented.

Would be much clearer if he had indicated they would vote against it.

If I was an Elgin fan I'd be asking for clarity.

8 hours ago, afca32 said:

Hester is obviously one of the best players in the lower leagues and losing him is a big blow. If I were to try and stay I'd positive I'd say we've become progressively more and more route one over the last few years with the thinking being 'get it to Hester and hope for the best' and this may encourage us to start playing some football again. The fact we see retaining 15 of the current squad as a good thing however, is concerning.

This was my first thought also. The football served up this year was dreadful and its plain to see the squad needs a massive overhaul.

This was always going to be Kanes last season. Either through a massive ban or moving on. Replacing him/his goals is going to be pretty much impossible at this level and also where we are just now.

I'm hoping the new appointment can give us a little lift as I'm struggling for any positives just now.

9 hours ago, afca32 said:

If I were to try and stay I'd positive I'd say we've become progressively more and more route one over the last few years with the thinking being 'get it to Hester and hope for the best' and this may encourage us to start playing some football again. 

This was my first thought when I read that statement. Long balls forward to a wee striker that can't challenge in the air is eye bleeding stuff. I hated it when we relied on Craig Gunn and I hate it now.

It is vital we get a new manager with fresh ideas and contacts in, as the current recruitment strategy just wasn't working. My fear is if we rely on the current trio that we've gone for the easy option on the back of our escape last season and nothing else. Is there a plan in place with different ideas on our signing strategy there? I'm not sure that there would be. I'm already concerned we'll be treading water in transfers by the time we have someone in place.

2 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

This was my first thought when I read that statement. Long balls forward to a wee striker that can't challenge in the air is eye bleeding stuff. I hated it when we relied on Craig Gunn and I hate it now.

It is vital we get a new manager with fresh ideas and contacts in, as the current recruitment strategy just wasn't working. My fear is if we rely on the current trio that we've gone for the easy option on the back of our escape last season and nothing else. Is there a plan in place with different ideas on our signing strategy there? I'm not sure that there would be. I'm already concerned we'll be treading water in transfers by the time we have someone in place.

The statement worries me in some respects. When Price was sacked we were waiting for the end of the season so we knew what league we would be playing in before recruiting a manager. My assumption being if it was League 2 a southern based manager or assistant would be preferred. Now it seems as we cannot manage to recruit players from the south we are now going for a north based manager. What has changed in 2 weeks? Did we not know that when Price left?
Whoever the new manager is, whatever his qualities, it’s imperative he has contacts as our recruitment has to be better. It’s also concerning that the chairman says we have 15 signed players and recruiting to add to these numbers. This is the nucleus of a squad that has finished 9th for two seasons running. How many of them would be starters in a promotion chasing team in this division? You could count them not using all the fingers on one hand. That said there is no point in getting rid of players if better cannot be recruited.

Another two weeks to recruit a manager, Peterhead are already signing up HL players and other teams have already started recruiting!

It might all come good but I’m not feeling it at the moment.

1 hour ago, WeAreElgin said:

Mr Tatters has previous for rambling nonsense in the press and the latest statement is no different.

Grow a pair and get the B teams to f**k. This fence sitting helps no one.

Please tell me that's his real name. That would be class.

To quote the great Zac Efron in the timeless classic HSM 1.

"We're all in this together". 

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Kane Hester's interview in the Press & Journal today sticks in the throat a good bit too be honest.

A lot of his points are understandable with regards to playing at a higher level and closer to home.

But I cannot help but feel him claiming he kept us up by basically playing with  broken leg for 2 months is massively far fetched.

Also the huge factor he has failed to even mention is that Elgin paid for an expensive lawyer to defend him in his laughable court case which he somehow got away with. Him putting in a transfer request right after the last game of the season feels like a massive kick in the teeth to us. The fact he has done that is bound to effect the transfer fee Elgin will now receive.

Edited by Super Elgin City