VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

By not having VAR or having our own slimmed down VAR, Scottish football would be the better for it. I couldn't give a toss if it means our refs don't get to officiate European games or Fifa/Uefa look down on us. I'd imagine from other fans in other countries, there would be a respect for Scottish football. 

There's no such thing as slimmed down VAR and there's no such thing as light-touch VAR. People need to stop thinking of these as real possibilities. Once you have VAR, you have VAR and it only gets bigger. We've all the evidence we need for that.

The point you make about referees and European and FIFA competitions is on the money. This is essentially the only reason for the SFA to go all-in on VAR.

I've never seen a consultation by any club or media that has shown Scottish football fans favour VAR. Not once. If anyone has an example, I'm happy to be corrected. We're a football country that is funded in huge part (more than many others) by supporters, yet the SFA and our clubs have no interest in our opinions on this.

Their position is evidently that the career ambitions of our referees come ahead of everything else.

It drives me up the wall that our footballing media lack the brains to properly take them to task on this. I've never heard them challenged directly on that. The referees' and SFA's representatives get away with saying "accuracy is up!!" as if that's some kind of trump card and the only metric that counts.

It's absolute shite.

Edited by VincentGuerin

The only reasonable answer here is for there to be an additional level of checks conducted on each VAR decision, with the additional time added at the end. Games may be four hours long, but it can’t be avoided in the interests of accuracy. 

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just the 13 mistakes from VAR in the second quarter of the season.

Great stuff. Well worth the money the clubs are spending on it.

I doubt there were only 13 cock ups, I dont believe they reviewed all VAR decisions.

This feels like yet another layer of confusion being added for little benefit. You're now going to have people going around saying that these decisions were definitively wrong, as though this panel, made up entirely of people less qualified than the actual referees, has the magical power to make definitive calls on subjective decisions.

If anything, the fact they can disagree on so many things just indicates that VAR is not fit for the purpose it was originally claimed to be serving.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It drives me up the wall that our footballing media lack the brains to properly take them to task on this. I've never heard them challenged directly on that. The referees' and SFA's representatives get away with saying "accuracy is up!!" as if that's some kind of trump card and the only metric that counts.

Compared to many our football media has been meek and compliant for ages, but they're all for anyway: it extends play - then VAR chat fills airtime, generates clicks and produces controversy, for minimal effort.

Sportsound, Sportscene, Sky, Radio Clyde and various Scottish newspapers have shown conclusively that the vast majority of former Scottish football players are utter morons.

Their opinion means nothing here.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Sportsound, Sportscene, Sky, Radio Clyde and various Scottish newspapers have shown conclusively that the vast majority of former Scottish football players are utter morons.

"So Pat, we'd like you to review some VAR decisions"

"Well, the big number 3 on the other team was definitively offside for me. Decision should have been: Penalty Awarded to Celtic"

"The incident in question was in a Livingston-Dundee match but we'll record your decision. Now on to you "Biscuits"....."

14 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I couldn't give a toss if it means our refs don't get to officiate European games or Fifa/Uefa look down on us. 

That is certainly one of the reasons that they gave for bringing VAR in. But, if you think it's the main reason, it's not.

The CLUBS don't care about Referees getting to work in Europe, or not.

The CLUBS voted for it (41 out of 42). 

The SFA and SPFL were very clear that they could not/would not fund VAR.

The CLUBS (those in the Premiership) pay for it every year.

So, if the CLUBS wanted to, they could pull the funding and VAR goes away.

So, really, it is not actually a Referee issue - it's the CLUBS that decide whether or not we continue with it.

2 hours ago, FootballFanFirst said:

That is certainly one of the reasons that they gave for bringing VAR in. But, if you think it's the main reason, it's not.

The CLUBS don't care about Referees getting to work in Europe, or not.

The CLUBS voted for it (41 out of 42). 

The SFA and SPFL were very clear that they could not/would not fund VAR.

The CLUBS (those in the Premiership) pay for it every year.

So, if the CLUBS wanted to, they could pull the funding and VAR goes away.

So, really, it is not actually a Referee issue - it's the CLUBS that decide whether or not we continue with it.

Hi Crawford, do you fancy a pint later? 

On 15/02/2024 at 14:19, VincentGuerin said:

That interview has me absolutely fuming. 🤣

If I said what I truly thought about Crawford Allan after that interview I’d risk being arrested under the Communications Act 2003.

The worat thing about this list of mistakes published, other than the fact it's clearly not definitive, is that these are obvious errors that our referees have had 2 or 3 attempts at and still fucked, which makes it worse than the position before VAR where they could only make an arse of it once.

It's no for fans benefit and we should have resisted it much more strongly than we did.  We're stuck with it now and will just have to hope it evolves to a position where we're not spending 20% of a game checking whether someone has inadvertently brushed a cross with their arm.

9 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The worat thing about this list of mistakes published, other than the fact it's clearly not definitive, is that these are obvious errors that our referees have had 2 or 3 attempts at and still fucked, which makes it worse than the position before VAR where they could only make an arse of it once.

Why do you think the panel has a better idea of which decisions have been "fucked" than the referees?