Normal Island

The Met arrested members of their jointly funded Night Safety team who amongst other things distribute rape alarms to vulnerable people, for fear the people they fund would use them to disrupt the ceremony yesterday they locked a load of them up overnight and released them once the ceremony is done. 

Exceptionally odd.

21 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

I attended the matinee showing of The Lion KIng  today in Sunderland.

The crowd was invited to stand up and sing GSTK in celebration of today's coronation. 

Well, you can stick that up your aaaaaaaaaarrrrseneewenger!

(Beginning lyric of Circle of Life of course)

3 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I feel as if I had been watching old grainy clips of the queens coronation since I was young and thinking to myself, that looks like fun, look forward to seeing the next one on TV.

Well it was was fucking shit, boring as hell and far too religous for the times we now live in. Even the multi cultural things they incorporated felt forced and were put in to tick some kind of box. The people who were there to fawn over the family couldn't care less about the far flung colonies and their inhabitants that are over here taking their jobs etc etc.

Happy to have seen it in some perverse morbid curiousity. Will be cutting the grass or something at the next one. Waste of a fucking day.

I have similar feelings. All my life (50) you were sold this vision of the great coronation of 1953 and when you see one you just think "is that all there is?"

As a qualified historian (cough) in mediaeval Scottish history I was actually curious to see the anointing with oil as this is something the Scottish kings in the Middle Ages fought to get permission from the Pope for (English kings had it). And then it's "Quick nurse, the screens!" and you don't get to see it. Probably because it's ridiculous.

So the only two impressive things: the black choir were good and Penny Mordaunt's chest ... (steady Andrew...)

9 hours ago, sophia said:

Just as well that there is a route that avoids Nairn High Street where there was a significant expression of union jackery.

Nairn is not conventionally normal.

I went the back way(😮) via cawdor&auldearn.there was something going on in the pub car park in auldearn but it could have just been a village fete,there certainly were no butchers aprons to be seen

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'd have thought the Bristol might have made a special effort for the big day instead of just their usual decor.

At my mum's yesterday I thought she was holding the Scottish record for most UJs on display, but that's her been eclipsed comfortably. 

12 hours ago, 101 said:

The Met arrested members of their jointly funded Night Safety team who amongst other things distribute rape alarms to vulnerable people, for fear the people they fund would use them to disrupt the ceremony yesterday they locked a load of them up overnight and released them once the ceremony is done. 

Exceptionally odd.

We'll never know, but it would be interesting to find out where the orders originated from for this kind of "at all costs" policing. Dry run for Downing Street's future policies, or just a particularly staunch/paranoid loony towards the top of the Met?

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

As a qualified historian (cough) in mediaeval Scottish history I was actually curious to see the anointing with oil as this is something the Scottish kings in the Middle Ages fought to get permission from the Pope for (English kings had it). And then it's "Quick nurse, the screens!" and you don't get to see it. Probably because it's ridiculous.

Pretty sure it was something like this.

IMG_5358.gif

56 minutes ago, BTFD said:

We'll never know, but it would be interesting to find out where the orders originated from for this kind of "at all costs" policing. Dry run for Downing Street's future policies, or just a particularly staunch/paranoid loony towards the top of the Met?

It's a selective "at all costs" policing. By the Tory definition yesterday the crowds on Mall were causing a public nuisance with their cheering, clapping and cheering and yet they didn't send the horses charging in to clear them out and I'm not sure why the press haven't asked why one kind of noise is different from another, doubtless the BBC in Thier balanced way will be finding out shortly.

23 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's a selective "at all costs" policing. By the Tory definition yesterday the crowds on Mall were causing a public nuisance with their cheering, clapping and cheering and yet they didn't send the horses charging in to clear them out and I'm not sure why the press haven't asked why one kind of noise is different from another, doubtless the BBC in Thier balanced way will be finding out shortly.

It's very odd - you can see the logic behind rounding up people who aren't monarchists, although you might not agree if you aren't a fascist, but things like that just seem utterly random and panicked.

Obviously nobody will have thought to buy a rape alarm from eBay in the weeks beforehand, if they wanted a noisemaker for the big day. Unless they were worried their kids might end up alone with Prince Andrew.

Wound up having a conversation with a colleague at work this week and he was utterly affronted that I didn't plan on watching any of it. He managed to have an answer ready for all of my reasons as to why I wasn't watching it.

No TV licenece. No problem, the licence is being waived for the weekend (he read that somewhere).

No TV ariel. It's available on iPlayer.

Going to watch the football. That's OK, covergae starts at 11am.

Falkirk are playing Peterhead away from home so would be leaving the house just as it started. Ah well, I can watch it when I get back apparently.

Next week is going to be fun when I tell him I managed to catch some of it via "Ozzy Man Reviews".

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

Wound up having a conversation with a colleague at work this week and he was utterly affronted that I didn't plan on watching any of it. He managed to have an answer ready for all of my reasons as to why I wasn't watching it.

No TV licenece. No problem, the licence is being waived for the weekend (he read that somewhere).

Falkirk are playing Peterhead away from home so would be leaving the house just as it started. Ah well, I can watch it when I get back apparently.

Next week is going to be fun when I tell him I managed to catch some of it via "Ozzy Man Reviews".

Is that him who plays for Napoli?

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

You didn't try the "I have absolutely no interest in it" line?

From chat in my office, there was one guy out of 7 of us who watched it.