Normal Island

A few months ago, this advert got a lot of attention. It’s for staff at a car wash in Texas.

9088E190-6A99-42A1-B3E7-C0B6A6CEE1BB.thumb.webp.dc5b29de3013fc2b6c2ca3cd59d42fe8.webp

An assistant general manager of a car wash paid about the same as an NHS consultant. I mean, I’m sure those salaries might not be typical for working in a car wash in the US but damn.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Wall Street Journal has an article about the rise of the UK as an offshoring location for American businesses.  Basically, incomes have stagnated so much that American firms are looking to utilise what for the UK are high end jobs but come at half the salary of the US.  Illustration here

0F10C513-4CAB-4957-842F-168A01E6EB1A.thumb.png.cfaef9da1944bcb82ee004a7f38cace8.png

I have actually looked into this, if I moved to the USA and did the exact same job I do here I’d be earning around double my salary.

The wage and wealth gap between the UK and the US is a big black pill. It also wouldn’t all be taken up with paying for health insurance, as the US has much lower taxes. If the UK was a US state then we would be the poorest, ranking alongside Mississippi.

1/30,000 chance of being shot dead in America.

1/1,000,000 in England and Wales, would imagine it's lower in Scotland but couldn't find it with a quick Google.

Maybe with all the extra cash they make they can higher armed body guards to stop them being randomly shot anytime they go near a public place.

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A few months ago, this advert got a lot of attention. It’s for staff at a car wash in Texas.

9088E190-6A99-42A1-B3E7-C0B6A6CEE1BB.thumb.webp.dc5b29de3013fc2b6c2ca3cd59d42fe8.webp

An assistant general manager of a car wash paid about the same as an NHS consultant. I mean, I’m sure those salaries might not be typical for working in a car wash in the US but damn.

You might not get rich, but it's better than diggin' a ditch.

54 minutes ago, 101 said:

1/30,000 chance of being shot dead in America.

1/1,000,000 in England and Wales, would imagine it's lower in Scotland but couldn't find it with a quick Google.

Maybe with all the extra cash they make they can higher armed body guards to stop them being randomly shot anytime they go near a public place.

I’m not saying the US is some perfect place, more illustrating how the UK has declined.  The murder rate is approximately six times more in the US than the UK.

The wage and wealth gap between the US and UK used to be far smaller. It began widening significantly about twenty years ago.

This was literally one of the Brexit benefits that looser-lipped Conservatives discussed - an impoverished electorate that would have to work for less and let the UK undercut the EU.

It's what they've wanted for a long time. A number of middle-class eejits just decided to believe it wouldn't be them having their faces eaten.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I’m not saying the US is some perfect place, more illustrating how the UK has declined.  The murder rate is approximately six times more in the US than the UK.

The wage and wealth gap between the US and UK used to be far smaller. It began widening significantly about twenty years ago.

This is something I've been looking into quite a lot recently, as we're currently in the process of getting me a green card so we can move to my wife's hometown. The cost of living, particularly in major cities, is frighteningly high, but for us it looks like moving over and doing the same jobs at the same level of experience we'd end up with a lot more disposable income than we do in the UK. The flip side is that means retirement/saving a deposit for a home is more or less starting again for us in our early 30s, which is a bit of a worry. 

The difference in purchasing power has been quite eye opening when her relatives have visited here or we've been over there. Obviously there's a lot more to standard of living, much of which (cost of healthcare and access to public transport being big ones) are poorer there. As those things are getting worse and worse in the UK, as you point out, it doesn't feel like as much of an issue as it maybe would have been previously. 

Edited by GHF-23

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What is an Assistant Food Service Manager at a car wash?

I'm assuming most Americans can't wait for the time it would take for someone to clean your car without stuffing a hot dog or burger into their face. 

"Hey, I've never heard of Buc-ees before. What do you do?"
"That doesn't matter - the important thing is that our toilets don't have skidmarks."

image.png.e8ff4db97dc4773174e087d94b100779.png

2 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

This is something I've been looking into quite a lot recently, as we're currently in the process of getting me a green card so we can move to my wife's hometown. The cost of living, particularly in major cities, is frighteningly high, but for us it looks like moving over and doing the same jobs at the same level of experience we'd end up with a lot more disposable income than we do in the UK. The flip side is that means retirement/saving a deposit for a home is more or less starting again for us in our early 30s, which is a bit of a worry. 

You can keep paying your NI stamp from overseas, should you have any confidence the UK state pension will still be a thing when you hit that age. Also in the US, once you start to draw it, you’ll get any increases - again, chance would be a fine thing, but there’s a decent bet  some Tory c**t will try to buy votes off blue rinsers with something like that - it’s not locked at the amount it is when you start to draw it like it would be if you were in Canada, say. 

Medical insurance is a big one tho. We have pretty decent cover, but it’s about $15k pa with us paying $7k and my wife’s company paying $8k. And lack of public transport is something you’re gonna have to deal with unless you move to one of about a handful of cities. 

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmmFO3uf90

It won't embed, but here's a  news report on Buc-ee's bathrooms.

Buc-ee’s is really big in places where there’s f**k all else to do. Think of it as like a department store for things that suburban Texans would like; you get a whole wall of beef jerky, that type of thing. 

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

kennethw.jpg.7a49b1d33a548f68bba2ebffdd2a01cd.jpg

don't they have ranches for that kind of thing? 

Quite possibly. It’s another theory of how Ted Cruz came to be, alongside the more generally accepted one that he’s 10,000 cockroaches in a skin suit, like your man off Men In Black. 

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Wall Street Journal has an article about the rise of the UK as an offshoring location for American businesses.  Basically, incomes have stagnated so much that American firms are looking to utilise what for the UK are high end jobs but come at half the salary of the US.  Illustration here

0F10C513-4CAB-4957-842F-168A01E6EB1A.thumb.png.cfaef9da1944bcb82ee004a7f38cace8.png

I have actually looked into this, if I moved to the USA and did the exact same job I do here I’d be earning around double my salary.

The wage and wealth gap between the UK and the US is a big black pill. It also wouldn’t all be taken up with paying for health insurance, as the US has much lower taxes. If the UK was a US state then we would be the poorest, ranking alongside Mississippi.

I did something kind of similar and moved from Glasgow to Gent in Belgium. For the exact same job at the same company I got effectively a £10,000 pay rise. I pay a lot more in tax coming straight out my pay check. But for example my rent in what is the most expensive city in Belgium is slightly less than in West end of Glasgow and much less than in Edinburgh. On top of that I don't pay any local equivalent to council tax (I guess that just comes straight my salary). Some things (like eating out but not alcohol) are more expensive here but I still think I easily have more money at the end of the month here. And if I was in neighbouring countries like the Netherlands or Germany I think it would be even better.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

"Hey, I've never heard of Buc-ees before. What do you do?"
"That doesn't matter - the important thing is that our toilets don't have skidmarks."

image.png.e8ff4db97dc4773174e087d94b100779.png

I've been to Buc-ees many times and can confirm their toilets are spotless despite my best attempts to make it otherwise, they also have some tasty food.

2 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

I've been to Buc-ees many times and can confirm their toilets are spotless despite my best attempts to make it otherwise, they also have some tasty food.

Nice. I'm assuming it looks similar to this:

1024px-Modern_Toilet_Restaurant2.jpg

1 hour ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I did something kind of similar and moved from Glasgow to Gent in Belgium. For the exact same job at the same company I got effectively a £10,000 pay rise. I pay a lot more in tax coming straight out my pay check. But for example my rent in what is the most expensive city in Belgium is slightly less than in West end of Glasgow and much less than in Edinburgh. On top of that I don't pay any local equivalent to council tax (I guess that just comes straight my salary). Some things (like eating out but not alcohol) are more expensive here but I still think I easily have more money at the end of the month here. And if I was in neighbouring countries like the Netherlands or Germany I think it would be even better.

They probably have free healthcare as well