Normal Island

16 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Heard this yesterday. Genuinely shouted "Whit??" at the radio.

I work for a paper that does P1 and P7 class photos. We genuinely get a few parents every year asking if they can buy a picture without the ASN pupils. And one a few years years ago kicked off when they were told where to go, and demanded we retook the picture.

18 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Seems to be a bit of confusion over what actually happened, and a few folk are saying it isn't anything malicious, just that it's normal for these photographers to take photos of small groups of children then edit them together into one larger photo, hence why some kids will appear in some snaps and not others. There are apologies flying left and right, so christ knows.

9 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The implications are pretty clear to me. That company/photographer should be cut from every school contract immediately.

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'd like to think it was no more than pure coincidence that certain photos were available that contained kids without 'complex needs' rather than it happening by design.  I guess it depends on how many such kids we're talking about as that will influence judgement on how coincidental it was.

The alternative is the school and or photographer are a bunch of heartless arseholes. 

Tempest are possibly the biggest firm for school/prom/graduation/etc. photos. Interestingly the initial coverage suggested the photos were edited, or 3 pupils were removed before more shots were taken, but reports have since been amended e.g. BBC article now says:

It is understood some class photographs were taken before the pupils with additional support needs were brought in. Despite pictures then being taken which included all the pupils, parents were still given the option of both. Tempest, one of the UK's largest school photography firms, said it had spoken to the photographer involved.

which suggests it might have been unintentional foolishness in uploading them alongside usual mixture of full class, individual and group photos rather than premeditated exclusion.

School maintains they were oblivious. Certainly beggar belief if the snapper actually requested some kids be kept away and the school staff went along with it.

6 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I work for a paper that does P1 and P7 class photos. We genuinely get a few parents every year asking if they can buy a picture without the ASN pupils. And one a few years years ago kicked off when they were told where to go, and demanded we retook the picture.

Each and every one of those parents should have been referred to social work.  Scum should be banned from rearing more scum.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tempest are possibly the biggest firm for school/prom/graduation/etc. photos. Interestingly the initial coverage suggested the photos were edited, or 3 pupils were removed before more shots were taken, but reports have since been amended e.g. BBC article now says:

It is understood some class photographs were taken before the pupils with additional support needs were brought in. Despite pictures then being taken which included all the pupils, parents were still given the option of both. Tempest, one of the UK's largest school photography firms, said it had spoken to the photographer involved.

which suggests it might have been unintentional foolishness in uploading them alongside usual mixture of full class, individual and group photos rather than premeditated exclusion.

School maintains they were oblivious. Certainly beggar belief if the snapper actually requested some kids be kept away and the school staff went along with it.

Pretty sure the school would have had some kind of presence when the photos were being taken. Unless they just shove a load of kids into a room with a photographer and leave them for 3 hours to get on with it.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

See, that's something I hadn't thought of. It would still be pretty stupid, even if accidental, but still infinitely better than explicitly asking "Would you like yours with or without?"

5 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

20240402_083051.thumb.jpg.d5db226ed2df0b04492ea084dc27d23b.jpg

Getting extremely vexed about flegs again.

I'm not particularly interested in the whole flag thing TBH, but if I was remotely interested in maintaining the "Union" I'd be more vexed at the continued disrespect shown to Northern Ireland as, apparently "Team GB & Northern Ireland" isn't catchy enough.

"Team GB" is a ridiculous term for the "country" it's meant to represent.

19 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm not particularly interested in the whole flag thing TBH, but if I was remotely interested in maintaining the "Union" I'd be more vexed at the continued disrespect shown to Northern Ireland as, apparently "Team GB & Northern Ireland" isn't catchy enough.

The code changed from GRB to GBI for the Tokyo Olympics in '64 but we moved on to GBR for Mexico City '68

GBN is available as an IOC code. Gabon use GAB  but might still have an issue.

Things are complicated by the fact that Irish Olympic Committee have been recognised as an all Ireland body by the IOC since granting them their initial charter in 1922.

Arguably this arrangement probably should have been refined for the 1924 games in Paris to reflect the final score in the Irish civil war but seemingly nobody was up for that argument back then and it's technically still Northern Irish athletes on team GB that are the "splitters"

But that's politely ignored to save trouble which means that if you're from Northern Ireland you can choose. If you're good at rowing you can join the world class "British" programme in your sport but if your a boxer you're probably better off being "Irish"

The exceptions are sports where there is an existing all Ireland team like Rugby 7s and Hockey where Team GB actually is what it says on the tin (although I suppose Channel Islanders are a further complication). 

As for the team GB flag. 

It's just an attempt to make a copyrightable image that can be used on branded goods. The BOC don't make a penny on sales of normal union flags and those boats, javelins and goggles don't pay for themselves

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Team GB, NI, Hebrides (both types), Orkney, Shetland, Thanet, Wight, Anglesey, Channel Islands and The Isle of Man is a bit of a mouthful though.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

It's a peninsula twice a day, because of the causeway. Not a real island imo. 

Scilly can feel rightly aggrieved 

We could just change the team name with the tide surely

You've also missed out all the Overseas Territories who are covered by the BOA

You owe an apology to Gibraltarian Rhythmic Gymnast Georgina Cassar and Delano Williams The sprinter from Turks and Caicos

28 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

We could just change the team name with the tide surely

You've also missed out all the Overseas Territories who are covered by the BOA

You owe an apology to Gibraltarian Rhythmic Gymnast Georgina Cassar and Delano Williams The sprinter from Turks and Caicos

Learning something new every day on P&B.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's a peninsula twice a day, because of the causeway. Not a real island imo. 

Scilly can feel rightly aggrieved 

But it'll look like an island if the fog on the Tyne obscures the peninsula.