Normal Island

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

England fans: Our flag is sacred, you can't mess with the flag

Also England fans: 

hull-city-flag-spotted-at-saturdays-match-v0-5a6sq308gngb1.jpg

It's not even their fleg:

"In 2018 the mayor of Genoa reminded that England should pay for the last 247 years for using the flag of Genoa"

And the three "lions" are actually leopards and are also used by Estonia

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

What I hate about this is I'm now trying to figure out how two dogs shag each other up the arse.

Three dogs on a shirt

Working out logistics

Rashford sclaffs a pen

Arseholes go ballistic 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Three works better logistically. 

I'd assume, hypothetically. 

Six is probably the optimal number for that, as well as being more pleasing to the eye from above. 

Symmetry in all things is beautiful.

9 minutes ago, velo army said:

Six is probably the optimal number for that, as well as being more pleasing to the eye from above. 

Symmetry in all things is beautiful.

"a source of pride, identity, who we are and they are perfect as we are".

On 08/03/2024 at 11:24, GNU_Linux said:

I've got a trip planned the day after the Switzerland game to have a shot on the Wuppertal Schwebebahn. Based on last night it could be the highlight of the Euros.

Have to ask though, a 53 mile drive from Troon to Glasgow Airport at 5am? Well seeing he prefers to take the train!

22 hours ago, 101 said:

BBC going all in on the cancer story which is of course sad. But seems pretty insignificant compared to events in Moscow.

On the news on the radio she was getting praise from the whole wide world for raising awareness of cancer....nobody had ever heard of cancer before obviously 

I have a feeling that another cancer charity is incoming.  While any research is obviously welcome (my sister died of it 2 years ago and one sister in law has it) I'd much prefer it that rather than more donations being swallowed up in buildings, admin, websites etc, for a new charity, the effort was instead put into the extra cash going to existing ones.  We don't need more chief executives, finance directors etc.

I'll probably be accused of being a grumpy old git (form an orderly queue) but duplicated admin takes cash out of the research and treatment.

It's probably true that some folk will give just because of the "status" of the individual involved, reminding us all that we live in a highly class-ridden and unequal society.  It seems that Kate matters, so of course she "deserves" fast treatment in the finest of facilities... our relatives can take their chances with an under-resourced NHS.

Well, that's a cheerful start to the day.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

On 22/03/2024 at 17:46, lichtgilphead said:

Some guy was on Sky News earlier saying that the England fans will only wave St Georges flags and won't wave this new interpretation. 

Harking back to 1966, there are more German flags than St Georges crosses in this shot.

The crowd at the 1966 World Cup final

Silly b*****ds, waving the wriong flag...

It was only in the 90s that the St George's Cross took over from the Union Flag as the banner of choice for England fans.

Yet again those making the most noise over this are the most ignorant.

On 23/03/2024 at 08:22, carpetmonster said:

Three dogs on a shirt

Working out logistics

Rashford sclaffs a pen

Arseholes go ballistic 

Can't stop singing this now. Cheers ya bas!

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Back in the good old days before woke snowflakes got upset about minor colour adjustments to a flag 

In a stolen Lancaster as well, the b*****d!

The way that conservatism in this country is moving towards abandoning arts and humanities funding, in this case belittling the concept of research funding, baffles me. Surely if there's one good old fashioned Tory thing to pay for it's dry articles about historic agricultural practices

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

The way that conservatism in this country is moving towards abandoning arts and humanities funding, in this case belittling the concept of research funding, baffles me. Surely if there's one good old fashioned Tory thing to pay for it's dry articles about historic agricultural practices

There's a chap called Anton Howes, who's based in Edinburgh, who posts these reasonably long articles on his blog about things like that. His main focus is discovering what spurs innovation by looking at the industrial revolution. Some very niche and nerdy articles in there (though well written) but for some reason I really enjoy stories about how increases in the Dutch tax on grain imports in 1634 lead to a huge increase in English coal productivity, or the like.

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There's a chap called Anton Howes, who's based in Edinburgh, who posts these reasonably long articles on his blog about things like that. His main focus is discovering what spurs innovation by looking at the industrial revolution. Some very niche and nerdy articles in there (though well written) but for some reason I really enjoy stories about how increases in the Dutch tax on grain imports in 1634 lead to a huge increase in English coal productivity, or the like.

Since reading Hobsbawms book covering the early industrial revolution last year I've found all that sort of stuff quite interesting as well, will look up Mr Howes. Thank you