Normal Island

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I don't know what age you are but the cost used to be given in gallons. I'm wincing at the thought of how much it would work out as.

Nearly £8.50/gallon...

2 hours ago, scw1987 said:

And me. I'm 63, my brother is 60. When he was 10 or 11 he asked me what 'quart' meant (on a 2 pint milk carton). Turned out he had no idea how many pints were in a gallon.

Yeah, I absolutely don't. I just took a guess and was out by half. It's something I've never needed to know.

I could tell you roughly how many litres are in a gallon, however, but that's only because I was alive when petrol stations switched to litres, and it occasionally amuses me to work out what it costs to get something that I remember costing 50p.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:
Nearly £8.50/gallon...

Cheers but I didn't really want to know as I knew it would be hideously expensive!

I'll keep you updated, then...

ETA: Actually it's not as bad as I feared, thought it would be near a tenner. Won't be long, I suppose...

Edited by Jacksgranda

6 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Thousands waving at an empty carriage.
And the less said about the commentary the better.

at least the hologram is in black and white - attention to detail as everything in the olden days was in black and white of course.

The hologram on Star Trek Voyager was in colour, could perform medical surgery, tell jokes, sing and could even take command of the ship.

By comparison, I think this one seems rather lame and unambitious.

Must do better.

The popularity of the monarch in modern Englandshire seems to be dependant on her only being seen sparingly and generally keeping herself to herself.

And as we approach what would be the end of her reign we suddenly have access to hologramic avatar technology which means that rather than appointing her jug-eared first born to play the role we could instead just keep a simulacrum of Elizabeth to open parliament, troop the colour and open major sporting tournaments and millenium domes.

Some traditionalists might object but I hope these traitors have the principles to fall silent at the "long to reign over us" part of the national anthem given that they seem quite happy to discard her for no better reason than her being physically dead.

The National Anthem itself will of course be renamed "God Save the queen (by pressing Ctrl + S)"