Wordle

Arch Stanton

Ever get the feeling right early on that this is gonna be a bit of a bitch!

Wordle 232 5/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

Spoiler

Also had the feeling that there was gonna be a double/twice used letter, which leads to hesitancy for fear of a wasted guess.

9 hours ago, btb said:

Some Yank has written a program which claims that roate is the best word to start with...

PhD student writes program that finds the best first word to guess in Wordle | The Independent

I disagree with Mr PHD. The creator made the game for his wife and the answer is always a fairly commonly used word that she would know. Now I don't know the intelligence levels of Mrs Wardle, but I've no idea what "roate" means, and if she doesn't either, you're ruling out the possibility of a hole in one. Pleased to see two of my usual first word choices in his top 5 though.

8 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Ever get the feeling right early on that this is gonna be a bit of a bitch!

Wordle 232 5/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

Reveal hidden contents

Also had the feeling that there was gonna be a double/twice used letter, which leads to hesitancy for fear of a wasted guess.

I disagree with Mr PHD. The creator made the game for his wife and the answer is always a fairly commonly used word that she would know. Now I don't know the intelligence levels of Mrs Wardle, but I've no idea what "roate" means, and if she doesn't either, you're ruling out the possibility of a hole in one. Pleased to see two of my usual first word choices in his top 5 though.

Seems to me that he is only doing what a lot of us do as a matter of course - try and eliminate some vowels early?

However, he has lots of letters after his name, whereas I didnt even go to higher education, so maybe  I should stfu.

Todays - 

Wordle 232 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Someone on some website worked out that SOARE is the best opening word, as it features the most commonly-used letters in the English language, in the positions they're most commonly used in five-letter words (without slipping into a non-existent word, obviously).

I haven't found it to make much of a difference.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Someone on some website worked out that SOARE is the best opening word, as it features the most commonly-used letters in the English language, in the positions they're most commonly used in five-letter words (without slipping into a non-existent word, obviously).

I haven't found it to make much of a difference.

When you start using tactics, you inevitably rob the game of its fun. I start with a random 5 letter word and take it from there. Got it in 2 today. Pure luck. Kind of disappointing in a way. 

2 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

When you start using tactics, you inevitably rob the game of its fun. I start with a random 5 letter word and take it from there. Got it in 2 today. Pure luck. Kind of disappointing in a way. 

Yep, but I do like to start with the same word, mainly because I'll be kicking myself if one I've used before is the word of the day.

31 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

On a full reading I'm not so sure I agree with the Yank as he gives a suggestion for a best second word but that would only be applicable if no letters from roate (I looked it up it's a technical term used in accountancy relating to company tax) are in the wordle.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yep, but I do like to start with the same word, mainly because I'll be kicking myself if one I've used before is the word of the day.

In the days when I wasted money on the lottery I was reluctant to change the numbers for that very reason. Haven’t bought a ticket for about 20 years but never check the draw just in case these numbers have actually come up.