Where are you on the political spectrum?

Scott Steiner

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

As the late and undeniably great Tony Benn said, if we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.

I was abused on the Covid thread for suggesting that some of the over 50 billion we spend on 'defence' each year could be better invested in the NHS, to create a health system where we didn't have to shut the country down in situations like the one we have now. 

I find it astonishing that the UK government is allowed a scot-free, unquestioned, get out of jail free card on 'defence' spending. A waste of fvcking money when our NHS is creaking at the seams. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I was abused on the Covid thread for suggesting that some of the over 50 billion we spend on 'defence' each year could be better invested in the NHS, to create a health system where we didn't have to shut the country down in situations like the one we have now. 

I find it astonishing that the UK government is allowed a scot-free, unquestioned, get out of jail free card on 'defence' spending. A waste of fvcking money when our NHS is creaking at the seams. 

Aren't you constantly dishing out abuse on that thread? No point in going elsewhere on the forum and bleating that you were abused when you are a constant ball of aggression.

13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Always thought this too. We spend so much money to 'protect' the nation militarily with out of date tech and methods but criminally underfund the biggest protection we can give the nation, the NHS.

How many lives does trident save vs what could have been spent on healthcare or social care in its place?

16 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Always thought this too. We spend so much money to 'protect' the nation militarily with out of date tech and methods but criminally underfund the biggest protection we can give the nation, the NHS.

How many lives does trident save vs what could have been spent on healthcare or social care in its place?

In theory?

For all that, Trident is actually pretty cost effective as a means of national defence, at least if compared to the cost of actually generating conventional forces large enough to guarantee the same.

Both ourselves and the Americans spend eye-watering amounts of money on defence, yet the troops have to buy their own basic equipment as what they're provided with is garbage.

Defence is an excellent method of emptying the public purse into the right pockets. Nae danger of that ever changing.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Both ourselves and the Americans spend eye-watering amounts of money on defence, yet the troops have to buy their own basic equipment as what they're provided with is garbage.

Defence is an excellent method of emptying the public purse into the right pockets. Nae danger of that ever changing.

That sounds about right, still always feels absolutely mental just how expensive some military vehicles are/aircraft are, figures like £9million pound for one jet fighter. Would guess once you're accounting for figures like that - at scale - its straightforward enough to find a nice little £500,000 here and there for your chums.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

That sounds about right, still always feels absolutely mental just how expensive some military vehicles are/aircraft are, figures like £9million pound for one jet fighter. Would guess once you're accounting for figures like that - at scale - its straightforward enough to find a nice little £500,000 here and there for your chums.

9 million might just about buy you a wing. The F35 has a unit price around 80 million dollars.

8 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Jayzus, i thought i might have overestimated it a little :lol:

Then you've got the 6th Generation fighter project - Tempest - UK is putting in 2 Billion over the next 4 years, Italy and Sweden another Billion between them. Programme cost likely 3 to 4 times that by the time the prototype flies.

Just now, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Private Eye used to do a good job of monitoring military equipment that was delivered late, sometimes by decades, and usually useless by the time it arrived.

The brief outrage over where the Covid spending went was pathetic considering that, as a society, we seem to have decided decades ago that we're perfectly happy with our betters giving tax money to their friends and family for half-arsed, broken deliverables.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Private Eye used to do a good job of monitoring military equipment that was delivered late, sometimes by decades, and usually useless by the time it arrived.

The brief outrage over where the Covid spending went was pathetic considering that, as a society, we seem to have decided decades ago that we're perfectly happy with our betters giving tax money to their friends and family for half-arsed, broken deliverables.

What a coincidence. First thing I read today.

Ministry of Defence 'failing taxpayers' by wasting £13bn, Labour says - BBC News

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Complete open goal for Labour. Highly unlikely it would be any different under them.

I don't get the impression it's even something that most people care about. Just so long as folk see that the government's spending a nice big sum on defence, then it must be good. Nobody's ever going to get elected by saving money on Defence of the Realm, even if improvements are made by doing so.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Complete open goal for Labour. Highly unlikely it would be any different under them.

I don't get the impression it's even something that most people care about. Just so long as folk see that the government's spending a nice big sum on defence, then it must be good. Nobody's ever going to get elected by saving money on Defence of the Realm, even if improvements are made by doing so.

Same can be said for us spending a lot of money on the test and trace (although that in theory is a better cause). As long as we're spending loads of cash, it matters not a jot that it's ineffective/inefficient and a lot goes into the greedy mitts of the Tory's mates.

That may be the case - I'll take your word for it although I'd prefer the word "significantly" to be defined.  But both need to be examined within the prism of UK govt given the influence UK policy has on devolved administrations.
Salmond was governing through the period where there was a Labour govt between 2007 and 2010 followed by a coalition which helped keep in check the worst excesses of the Tories. 
Sturgeon has mostly had to manage a relentless shift to the right at Westminster which can only have negative consequences on equality in society given that it's been one cùnt after another pandering to these UKIP type arseholes. 
And 10 years of austerity measures.

13 hours ago, renton said:

In theory?

For all that, Trident is actually pretty cost effective as a means of national defence, at least if compared to the cost of actually generating conventional forces large enough to guarantee the same.

Oh, I would dearly love to see your working which led to that statement. Please.