Raith v Queens

This is just like the Queens thread last year after Galloways attendance. No matter how much I seem to read, I never catch up. 
Btw really sorry for all that's happening to you fans , not deserved, imbecile decision makers. 
Yeah this thread has taken on the mantle as the rovers thread while it's being cleaned up for now by the looks of it.

2 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Here's the relevant quote, in case it gets paywalled

[Val McDermid] said: "When the subject first came up in local newspapers, I raised it with a board member last time I was at a game.

"The chief executive of Raith Rovers looked me straight in the eye and said, ‘The club has no interest in Goodwillie whatsover. I agree with you, we shouldn’t sign someone like that.’

"Next thing I know, she’s negotiating his transfer so that’s the kind of people we are dealing with here.”

Fucking hell that is grim. I really do feel for the Raith fans in this. Dreadful times.

It really shows you how a couple of weeks can change your perspective on things. If you’d asked me a couple of weeks ago how I’d feel if we got beat by Banks O’ Dee, I’d have said it would be the worst result in our history. Turns out, with hindsight, it could have been our best.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states in Article 23.1:

(1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
— Universal Declaration of Human Rights, United Nations General Assembly The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights states in Part III, Article 6:[1]

(1) The States Parties to the present Covenant recognize the right to work, which includes the right of everyone to the opportunity to gain his living by work which he freely chooses or accepts, and will take appropriate steps to safeguard this right.

(2) The steps to be taken by a State Party to the present Covenant to achieve the full realization of this right shall include technical and vocational guidance and training programmes, policies and techniques to achieve steady economic, social and cultural development and full and productive employment under conditions safeguarding fundamental political and economic freedoms to the individual.
— International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, United Nations General Assembly

But again, tell if I’m wrong, and really just to test the water as I’m open minded about this, but if you apply for a job in certain professions, particularly public sector, you DO have to declare convictions and ARE subject to scrutiny.
There is an argument that these people should be role models and actually do impact indirectly young people who idolise them…

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:
7 minutes ago, Binos said:
Are any fans stepping away 
What was the gate the other night compared to normal 

Myself and several others have said we won't be back. I went to the game last night in the hope there would be some form of protest and was left dissapointed. I couldn't even celebrate when we scored. The attendance was around 1050.

1005 on the official website. 

Think last night was a bit short notice and nothing was organised.  Is there any word of a protest for Saturdays game.  No intentions of setting foot in the stadium until Goodwillie is gone but I’d join a protest if there’s one outside.  Board seem entrenched but got to make our feelings known. 

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

FM says it would be “appropriate” for the SPFL to take action but don’t see how that’s possible? They clearly had no issue with him playing for another member club.

Was the question put to her, or did she bring it up herself? If the question was put to her, I kind of get it as she probably can’t be seen to say that the SPFL should do nothing about a rapist playing in its ranks, if you know what I mean?

As others have said, I’m not sure what action the SPFL could possibly take here. 

There needs to be some thought put into how the fans can rescue something from the wreckage of the club. Whether it's just the club registration and starting again in tier 9 but if this is allowed to go on, there won't be a club left.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

There needs to be some thought put into how the fans can rescue something from the wreckage of the club. Whether it's just the club registration and starting again in tier 9 but if this is allowed to go on, there won't be a club left.

You mean like a new company to operate the club type thing?

17 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I'm sure many players have a conviction for something.  just like many in wider society.  It would be impossible to single Goodwillie out for having a criminal record without having to get rid of all players (and potentially managers such as Martindale) that have criminal convictions.

A big can of worms that isn't practical to implement.

"Soundbites followed by shite implementation" is the Sturgeon Government's mantra, isn't it? 

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Was the question put to her, or did she bring it up herself? If the question was put to her, I kind of get it as she probably can’t be seen to say that the SPFL should do nothing about a rapist playing in its ranks, if you know what I mean?

As others have said, I’m not sure what action the SPFL could possibly take here. 

It was just the one line on the Sky Sports’ story before urging Raith to rethink the decision to sign him.

As others have said though, you can’t impose a moral code on clubs. They should be responsible and intelligent enough to avoid making such terrible decisions.

15 minutes ago, grumswall said:
20 minutes ago, Binos said:
Are any fans stepping away 
What was the gate the other night compared to normal 

Myself and several others have said we won't be back. I went to the game last night in the hope there would be some form of protest and was left dissapointed. I couldn't even celebrate when we scored. The attendance was around 1050.

I’m no really surprised that there was no protest, most would-be protesters gave the game a miss. 

9 minutes ago, renton said:

The Rovers Down South statement made reference to a fighting fund, presumably in conjunction with the Trust and others. I'd hope we hear more about that in the very near future, I think it's a good centralised starting point. 

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

But again, tell if I’m wrong, and really just to test the water as I’m open minded about this, but if you apply for a job in certain professions, particularly public sector, you DO have to declare convictions and ARE subject to scrutiny.
There is an argument that these people should be role models and actually do impact indirectly young people who idolise them…

I'm not clued up on disclosures. Do civil cases count? It's very difficult but I don't think legislating is the correct answer. 

The quote the Elder Scrolls: "What is better – To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature though great effort?"

Davie Martindale can be a role model for rehabilitation. Each case needs its own careful consideration.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

Seriously, speaking with a cool head, that clearly the BOD did not have with McGlynn. Keep the pressure up, you can largely solve this . The Directors cannot ignore the uproar, and actually it will show the Raith fans did not accept winning at any costs, that the fans really do believe they have family values and will stand up For those, at the cost of hollow victories.

i know it doesnt  feel like it now, but the fans of RR have won a lot of support from other fans and wider public. You can salvage this wreckage, but you need to keep the pressure up imo.