Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Just try to think of it as the boy Putin letting of a bit of steam.

I blame social media tbh. Far too easy to keep up to date with everything thats happening and far too much bollocks going about.

5 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

The big player in this won't be China - as they seem to be desperate to keep everyone on their relative good side.

It'll be Turkey and Saudi Arabia - for differing reasons.

Turkey can shut the Dardanelles to Russian Warships - effectively trapping them in the Black Sea/Mediterranean. Plus they're the other "big" authoritarian military power in the region (also a NATO member). They also have a weird Ribbentrop/Molotov pact with Putin going on that absolutely no one seems to believe.

Saudi because they could come out and say they'll increase oil and gas production to keep the lights on in Europe.

The Turks are saying they don't have the legal right to stop ships heading for home ports, only leaving for foreign parts. So Russian ships from Vladivostok and Murmansk are fine heading for the Black Sea, not from the Black Sea to the Med, or Helensburgh, should Turkey choose to intervene. 

21 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Seen Minsk floated as the location for negotiations which seems a bit…risky? 

I was going to suggest Berwick upon Tweed.  Last time round, they were excluded from the peace treaty that ended the Crimean War.

When they got this resolved, a century later, in 1966, the Mayor of Berwick told the visiting Russian diplomat that he should inform the Russian people that they could now sleep peacefully in their beds.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

It feels like we're on the verge of a World War. The same folk mocking anyone for saying that are the same folk mocking everyone for saying Russia would try and take over Ukraine this time last week.

I don't think it'll happen because I don't think NATO will take the risk of it in the slightest, and Ukraine will be victims of it all, but its as close as its been in my lifetime.

With the best will in the world, I'd take the rest of the night off from the internet if I were you. If you want to convince yourself the world's about to end there's plenty of evidence for it, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. If it's genuinely distressing you probably best to just leave it.

2 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

So serious question. If Zelensky is apparently at risk of being killed by the Russians, are the Kiltschko’s too given their closeness to government (and taking up arms)?

There’s something about their worldwide fame that would make them martyrs, and surely that’s not beneficial to Putin?

You can include the reigning WBA, WBO and IBF world heavyweight champ, the absolute daddy of swag himself, Oleksandr Usyk. He was in London and actually flew across Europe yesterday (apparently to Poland), where he crossed the border back in to Ukraine, to take up arms and join the fight. 

3F874827-37B0-43B7-8CDD-736849DA9C73.jpeg

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

It feels like we're on the verge of a World War. The same folk mocking anyone for saying that are the same folk mocking everyone for saying Russia would try and take over Ukraine this time last week.

I don't think it'll happen because I don't think NATO will take the risk of it in the slightest, and Ukraine will be victims of it all, but its as close as its been in my lifetime.

When Russia invaded Afghanistan and Reagan was talking about Star Wars, we all shat ourselves and had weird dreams about nuclear war. Wasn't helped by the likes of Raymond (The Snowman) Briggs putting his folksy cartoon out about Armageddon, "When the Wind Blows". Don't feel too worried now though, other than for the Ukrainians and Russian conscripts.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

So serious question. If Zelensky is apparently at risk of being killed by the Russians, are the Kiltschko’s too given their closeness to government (and taking up arms)?

There’s something about their worldwide fame that would make them martyrs, and surely that’s not beneficial to Putin?

Do you think Putin is sitting there worrying that a Ukrainian boxer might get his arse handed to him? He's the commander in chief of a nuclear superpower FFS. 

I think we are way beyond the point where symbols have any such relevance. All that counts now is victory unless serious mediation is undertaken - if not, then this can still escalate alarmingly from here.

49 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The CCP must be having a wee smirk to themselves about all this. Taiwan shiteing it a bit at the moment too, surely.

Eh, Taiwan is in a much better, relatively, position. China still hasn’t really developed the necessary amphibious capacity to invade, although they are potentially only a few years away. There’s also a problem of not wishing to destroy the golden goose they wish to recapture via military force, something the Russians are finding is difficult if the defenders aren’t convinced you are liberators.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

When Russia invaded Afghanistan and Reagan was talking about Star Wars, we all shat ourselves and had weird dreams about nuclear war. Wasn't helped by the likes of Raymond (The Snowman) Briggs putting his folksy cartoon out about Armageddon, "When the Wind Blows". Don't feel too worried now though, other than for the Ukrainians.

The other night my missus mentioned she'd never seen the eighties nightmarefest Threads, so we watched it.

Cheers, hen.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When Russia invaded Afghanistan and Reagan was talking about Star Wars, we all shat ourselves and had weird dreams about nuclear war. Wasn't helped by the likes of Raymond (The Snowman) Briggs putting his folksy cartoon out about Armageddon, "When the Wind Blows". Don't feel too worried now though, other than for the Ukrainians.

My younger colleagues are currently shitting themselves over this, so I recommended watching Threads to put their minds at ease.

Frankly, I'm not even sure if I wanted to show them that we've been here before and the world survived, or if I'm just an evil b*****d.

Edit: great minds, @Hillonearth

Edited by BFTD

The best thing that came out of Threads was the realisation that, if you hear the four minute warning, you should make sure you're as close to the blast zone as possible so you don't survive.

Edit: incidentally, you always hear air raid sirens going off in films and TV shows when a catastrophe is about to hit - do we still have those? If a nuke was incoming, would there be sirens going off in the streets?

Edited by BFTD

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The other night my missus mentioned she'd never seen the eighties nightmarefest Threads, so we watched it.

Cheers, hen.

Never seen it but always wanted to. I only became aware of it a few years back when this went viral.

03CE85C3-4D14-4B63-9C1B-FA73D3377E72.jpeg

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

Cheers, hen.

I think they quite swiftly banned it from the BBC so I ended up watching at a CND showing at Hackney Town Hall. Totally coincidentally a fire broke out elsewhere in the building and we had to cut it short. Some stalwarts wanted to stay to the end, come what may, but when we pointed out the flames coming out of the next room's windows they relented. I assume there was a happy ending?

Just now, welshbairn said:

I think they quite swiftly banned it from the BBC so I ended up watching at a CND showing at Hackney Town Hall. Totally coincidentally a fire broke out elsewhere in the building and we had to cut it short. Some stalwarts wanted to stay to the end, come what may, but when we pointed out the flames coming out of the next room's windows they relented. I assume there was a happy ending?

No, they showed Threads on BBC 1! Don't think there was much sleeping went on that night across the UK. I think you might mean The War Game, which the BBC made and then shelved for 20 years.

Almost unbelievably, we got shown that at school...there seemed to be a concerted effort to traumatise children in the early 80s.