The Queen of the South thread

19 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

I never thought I would say this but I would prefer now if we went back to Part time. Watching this year after year is painful and depressing. At least if we were paying a good part time wage we could attract the best part time players and some of the players might stay for more than a season. At the moment they either leave because they have a good season or leave because they have had a bad season and are moving on. Constant rebuild year after year and no connection to the players anymore. 

What is there to suggest we would attract the best part time players?

Our inability to recruit properly when it comes to full time players gives me no confidence we'd do any better with part time ones.

14 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Totally agree with you regarding experience, or the lack of to be more accurate.

Bartley has, as he put it, gone for a (very) young squad "by design" and filled the team with players with next to no first team experience whatsoever.  Ambrose, McKay, Cochrane, McGuffie, Todd and Reilly are the only players at the club who have played more than 75 league games throughout their entire careers (if my calculations are correct).  Signing a gang of 18 and 19 year olds from youth football and expecting them to out-think and outplay guys like Tidser, O'Ware and Jason Thomson, the latter who has been playing for longer than many of our players have been alive, is wishful thinking at best. 

The manager comes across in interviews as a hardline taskmaster who won't stand for any shirking or nonsense yet seems to have created a team that is somewhat indisciplined, to put it kindly.  Witness McClelland's card collection or the 4 yellow cards issued in injury time against Hamilton.  Again, a lack of experience all round.

I'll concede we have been hit badly with injuries (though most have been picked up in training), but Bartley has by and large stuck with the same formation in every game and same style of play* - and we have yet to keep a clean sheet in any game.  Is he unable or unwilling to change his thinking - maybe a degree stubbornness creeping in?  Rather than experiment with, say, Logan as a left-back or Gibson a LWB, or freezing Houston out for a month, should he not be choosing a system which is suited to the players he has available rather than fitting whoever is available into his chosen formation?  Or varying the formation depending on results and opponents?  A central midfield today of Cochrane, Johnstone & Ferguson was bizarre to say the least.

* albeit with much more negative approach against Falkirk and Hamilton.

that is a very good post.

As a Falkirk supporter, we’ve had our fair share of pain in this division and sadly for you guys, it feels like your club have went down the same route as us of appointing someone who was a really good assistant, but unproven as a manager. The risk in this league is that you really need someone who can bring the right sort of players to the club to get you out, and Queens seem to be repeating our mistakes, too many gambles, that when they don’t work out leave you with a team that you have no connection with and at best see you finish in midtable. I’ve always liked the way Queens were run and the football you attempt to play, hopefully it gets better for you soon(although obviously not if you are playing Falkirk!)

19 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

The board should go and get Ian McCall before he ends up back at Ayr.

No disrespect to QOTS but would McCall want to go to QOTS? I see him holding out for a championship job. You need to give Bartley a chance to turn this around I think getting rid of him would end up being a terrible decision in the long run.

48 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

No disrespect to QOTS but would McCall want to go to QOTS? I see him holding out for a championship job. You need to give Bartley a chance to turn this around I think getting rid of him would end up being a terrible decision in the long run.

From Dumfries and was a Queens fan as a boy. Plus the fact he lives in the West End of Glasgow and we train in Hamilton, so possibly he could be interested. It’s a completely hypothetical situation because Bartley won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

From Dumfries and was a Queens fan as a boy. Plus the fact he lives in the West End of Glasgow and we train in Hamilton, so possibly he could be interested. It’s a completely hypothetical situation because Bartley won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

You shouldn't be getting rid of Bartley though anyway you need to give it time i think he will turn it around and I even think at some point he will get poached by a bigger club. Where in Hamilton do you train? 

4 hours ago, Trump said:

Could you do worse than get Allan Johnston back? Knows his way out of League One.

This is ridiculous. Marv will get it right. We were never going to win this league. Target is top 4. Get injured players back and give him time. To be honest the above histrionics are nonsense

3 hours ago, Trump said:

Could you do worse than get Allan Johnston back? Knows his way out of League One.

He certainly does but he doesn't  :-

- give long winded articulate post match interviews that create a false impression of managerial competency

-get his team playing out from their own six yard box

- favour complicated formations that nobody understands least of all the players

A big element of Queens' supporters don't place any positive value on what he did here in his two stints. His League 1 double in 2013/14 is dismissed as nothing more than routine given the poor quality opposition. His recruitment wasn't always perfect ( what Manager gets it all right) but compared to Bartley's signings it was night and day. Club and supporters wouldn't want him back and if he has any sense he wouldn't entertain a return no matter how unlikely that would be.

7 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

You shouldn't be getting rid of Bartley though anyway you need to give it time i think he will turn it around and I even think at some point he will get poached by a bigger club. Where in Hamilton do you train? 

Bartley 's basically been here a year now and the large squad we have barring a couple are all his signings! 

We're no better now than when he first arrived so what makes you think he can turn things around?

He does speak will in interviews though.

12 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Totally agree with you regarding experience, or the lack of to be more accurate.

Bartley has, as he put it, gone for a (very) young squad "by design" and filled the team with players with next to no first team experience whatsoever.  Ambrose, McKay, Cochrane, McGuffie, Todd and Reilly are the only players at the club who have played more than 75 league games throughout their entire careers (if my calculations are correct).  Signing a gang of 18 and 19 year olds from youth football and expecting them to out-think and outplay guys like Tidser, O'Ware and Jason Thomson, the latter who has been playing for longer than many of our players have been alive, is wishful thinking at best. 

The manager comes across in interviews as a hardline taskmaster who won't stand for any shirking or nonsense yet seems to have created a team that is somewhat indisciplined, to put it kindly.  Witness McClelland's card collection or the 4 yellow cards issued in injury time against Hamilton.  Again, a lack of experience all round.

I'll concede we have been hit badly with injuries (though most have been picked up in training), but Bartley has by and large stuck with the same formation in every game and same style of play* - and we have yet to keep a clean sheet in any game.  Is he unable or unwilling to change his thinking - maybe a degree stubbornness creeping in?  Rather than experiment with, say, Logan as a left-back or Gibson a LWB, or freezing Houston out for a month, should he not be choosing a system which is suited to the players he has available rather than fitting whoever is available into his chosen formation?  Or varying the formation depending on results and opponents?  A central midfield today of Cochrane, Johnstone & Ferguson was bizarre to say the least.

* albeit with much more negative approach against Falkirk and Hamilton.

Great post and completely agree.

What we are seeing (in my eyes) is a hard task master that stands for no nonsense.... however with such a young squad, its not working.  Training regime is causing issues and injuries to those older players that we need all cumulating in where we are now.

We (MB) need to remember that we are in Scottish L1 and not La Ligue1... fancy formations, playing out from the back, genenpressing, Tika-Taka'ing.... not working... lets get back to a 442, give our attackers service from the wings (and not upfront on his own) and play no nonsense, simple footballl.... I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as give him his dues he's not had his starting 11 fit to chose from.... however his regime needs to change before losing the changing room...

and to add, being on a contract until next year I very much the board would get rid anyways......

8 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

The thing is the longer he's out of work the more chance of him considering offers further down the chain or he risks becoming the "forgotten man". Not sure if his Dumfries connections would sway him, if the money's right he might consider it. If he's waiting on a Championship opening, apart from Ayr, where I think he's liked and loathed in equal measure, what other Managers coat is on a shoogly peg. Anyway all hypothetical the noo cos we've got a man in place under contract. 

7 hours ago, Trump said:

Aye, and when he gets us promoted we should bin him again cos he'd probably take us right back down within a season or two. 

I am not saying anyone should lose their job right now,  just joining the discussion about possible future candidates.

Here's another to get people going - Jim McIntyre !  

Took us to the play-offs and within a whisker of the Final.  Very positive, enthusiastic and experienced guy.

I have never understood the negativity toward him, what did he do wrong ?

1 hour ago, bod said:

Bartley 's basically been here a year now and the large squad we have barring a couple are all his signings! 

We're no better now than when he first arrived so what makes you think he can turn things around?

He does speak will in interviews though.

He's always came across to me as someone that would do well as a manager I like the way he talks as well I still think that you will be able to make the playoffs this year 

28 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The thing is the longer he's out of work the more chance of him considering offers further down the chain or he risks becoming the "forgotten man". Not sure if his Dumfries connections would sway him, if the money's right he might consider it. If he's waiting on a Championship opening, apart from Ayr, where I think he's liked and loathed in equal measure, what other Managers coat is on a shoogly peg. Anyway all hypothetical the noo cos we've got a man in place under contract. 

Imrie might also be in a little bit of trouble if Morton keep on losing games

Bartley revealing that Mimnaugh will be out for the rest of the season just crowns an awful weekend for us.  He's probably been our best player game for game and certainly to date has been Bartley's best signing bar Brydon in my opinion.