The Queen of the South thread

Find that an extraordinary thing for you to say that you don't consider St.Mirren as any kind of scalp at all. Can I remind you that beating teams in the premier league is not a common occurence to us and you , being a similar sort of age to me , would know fine well that . This was a team that won the League Cup around six months ago and have good players albeit short on confidence . I will never take for granted beating an SPL side and enjoy all of our victories over them.

St Mirren are a club in crisis. They may well have won a cup, but two wins in 14 games in the league last season plus none from 6 this season equals a poor, poor side in my opinion whatever level they are at.

SPL side or not, I dont consider a team in that kind of form to be a "scalp"

Ally McCoist in today's Sun having a right go at the palmy pitch. The pitch bordered on the ridiculous.Wallace had a reaction to the pitch and now has a sore neck.The bounce of the ball was not right it was different than any pitch we hhave played on.To sum up it is just McCoist talking a load of rubbish

The comments of McCoist should be taken with a pinch of salt. After all, this is a man that backed a player (under his charge) that bet against his own team. Any credibility he may have had went the way of Black's coupon.

Guest TOPFITTER

Below today's squad who earned a 6-2 win against East-Fife.

Queens had the bulk of quality possession 1st half and went 1 up before falling behind to 2 counter-attack goals and kept it to 1-2 half-time due to an excellent save by the keeper.

Second half was cagey with Queens building a dominance. After a 3rd goal put Queens under 15's ahead it was one-way traffic pretty much and the 15's overpowered a plucky East Fife finishing with a 3 goal burst.

Entertaining stuff thanks to all coaches and players for the entertainment. bigsmile.gifbigsmile.gifbigsmile.gif

2s7jupc.jpg

Did Ross County not fairly romp the second then finish bottom half? Anyway we were the only full time team in that league with more money than the rest, it shouldn't continually be brought up. We are in a harder league and the results are showing this, the gap is fairly large between the two leagues I think.

And yet, Alloa, who finished a mile behind us last season have only one less point so far.

So, are you saying, you expected us to win the league by 20 odd points and break club and league records last season? To suggest that was down to being the only FT side with the biggest budget is downplaying the achievement hugely.

Talk on a Facebook page of Danny, Gavin & Mitch leaving in jan to join magic?

Poss reason they aren't starting?

From performances this season I don't think they merit being in first 11 at the moment, but are very important players for the club.

From performances this season I don't think they merit being in first 11 at the moment, but are very important players for the club.

I`d take that with a large pinch of salt. Killie won`t be looking to pay fees for players and no evidence to date that any of the 3 could cut it in the SPL.

No smoke without fire.

Seems a lot of people are still trying to compare last season's achievements with our form and ambitions for this season.. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT. We were too good for for the other teams in the 2nd division last year as the margin by which we won the title shows. We are now in a higher division, according to some not as hard a division as it has been in previous years, but a higher division none the less. The majority of teams in the Championship are full time unlike all of the other teams in last years 2nd div. The very fact that these teams are playing in a higher division means they have better players (or players who can perform more consistently on a regular basis), better facilities and better coaching. We have started this season with virtually the same squad as last season, minus TOP SCORER and BEST KEEPER in the division, adding an experienced central defender, a virtually inexperienced goalie, an experienced striker/midfielder, and an American midfielder whose is as yet an unknown quantity, but the basis of the squad is the same. Playing in a higher and better division (FACT), trying to bed in new players with the existing squad, a new manager with his own plans, a new backroom staff, new playing surface, all reasons I believe that you can't use last season's achievements as a yardstick to how we will do this season. If we have the players to do well this season it will be because they are good enough to make the step up, not because of what they did last season. Some will show they are good enough but for others it may be a step too much. Quotes of "last season we did this" or " the way we played last season" mean nothing this season.

Great memories but, draw a line under it, move on, and hopefully upwards. A NEW division, a NEW challenge which in the end will hopefully give us plenty of good memories.

"COME ON YOU QUEENS"

So, are you saying, you expected us to win the league by 20 odd points and break club and league records last season? To suggest that was down to being the only FT side with the biggest budget is downplaying the achievement hugely.

Our team is largely, pretty shit. What has became evident though is that the standard of the second division really is horrific, no doubt us having the second biggest budget and being one of 2 full time teams is a big factor in this.

They may sign a PCA in January but no danger Killie will be paying fees. Will magic be there come January ?

Seems to be a high bar thats set for a newly promoted side who arguably lost their two most important players in the close season . Has this acceptibility level been plucked out of the air ? Most outsiders might even think that is arrogant to expect to waltz in to a higher league and win every week( which is what some seem to demand). Top four should be considered a success and not a minimum level of achievement

Tremendous post and something I had been getting at before the season started. Some people would have us believe that because we romped a division full of part timers it is our god giving right to be doing well in this division. There is Definately no reason why queens can't get into the playoffs but it should not be demanded of us.

This is getting tiresome.

It wasn't true when opposition fans accused us of wild claims about winning the league, and it's still not true now that it's some of our own doing the same. Unless someone wants to find some evidence to support their claims? Thought not.

The only thing being demanded of the manager is that he gives us as good a chance as possible of doing well, by playing to our strengths.

As demands go, I don't think that's too outrageous.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Tremendous post and something I had been getting at before the season started. Some people would have us believe that because we romped a division full of part timers it is our god giving right to be doing well in this division. There is Definately no reason why queens can't get into the playoffs but it should not be demanded of us.
I am the same as you in that respect . This team is more than good enough to finish in the top 4 ( and I fully expect them to ) but we have no right to beat more organised and full time teams in a higher league .

It would be nice to see last season's team (minus Robinson and Clark) to confirm how totally out of depth it would have been at this level.

Nobody can tell where it should or shouldn't finish because none of us, including McIntyre, has seen it playing this season.

Therefore, we don't know whether the current position is a fair reflection of its ability or whether it has done worse due to McIntyre's meddling or whether it has done better.

If he hadn't changed anything we'd know that we were at the level we should be. As it is, we don't.