Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I loved living in Carlton Terrace - EH7 - in the late 90s/early noughties and have walked up Calton Hill via Regent Gardens many a time.  My younger two were born there.  Edinburgh is a fantastic city with a rich history and seeing the likes of Lorna Slater mouthing off without knowing much about Scotland or Edinburgh's past is, frankly, depressing. 

Calton Hill is one of the best spots in the city. An eclectic mix of stuff up there that would be relatively unremarkable on its own but all together makes it a pretty cool place.

Now with views of a giant golden turd though.

4161.jpg.195f8b35ba3dfa3f0a57e4ad9774ae1d.jpg

34 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I loved living in Carlton Terrace - EH7 - in the late 90s/early noughties and have walked up Calton Hill via Regent Gardens many a time.  My younger two were born there. 

Now tell us about the period you spent living in Kensington Palace mews and your uncle who works for Nintendo.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

The monarchy should be privatised. If it was self-funded there'd be little complaint.

If you take the Crown Estates as being the Monarchy's own (and I could argue either way) then it is pretty-much self-funded.

56 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If you take the Crown Estates as being the Monarchy's own (and I could argue either way) then it is pretty-much self-funded.

No you couldn’t. The clue is in the name: the Crown Estate. It’s the property of the “Crown”, not the monarchy. The monarchy happens to be the face of the Crown under the present constitutional setup, but if the constitution was legally altered to abolish that and institute something else as the face of the Crown, the ex royals would walk away without the Estates (as Edward VIII did). Even under the current system, if Charlie tried to claim the Crown Estates were his, he’d also be claiming responsibility for paying for the UK’s governance … and good luck making the revenue of the Crown Estates cover that.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

No you couldn’t. The clue is in the name: the Crown Estate. It’s the property of the “Crown”, not the monarchy. The monarchy happens to be the face of the Crown under the present constitutional setup, but if the constitution was legally altered to abolish that and institute something else as the face of the Crown, the ex royals would walk away without the Estates (as Edward VIII did). Even under the current system, if Charlie tried to claim the Crown Estates were his, he’d also be claiming responsibility for paying for the UK’s governance … and good luck making the revenue of the Crown Estates cover that.

Welsh opinion is that they're not his:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/most-welsh-people-believe-crown-26854998.amp

Did anyone else watch the C4 show about the Maitlis interview with Nonce Andrew?

I thought he was thick and arrogant before it, but listening to the programme producer and Maitlis, it seems I had underestimated just how thick and arrogant

On 08/05/2023 at 20:15, Leith Green said:

It always makes me laugh that these brain donors seemingly do not realise that the entire Royal Family think that they are scum and would not piss on them if they were on fire. 

I've noticed that Chuckles' missus seems to have blagged the title Queen Camilla after all. Many moons ago, I'm sure I remember there being some agreement that she'd never get that title due to being a divorcee, or an adulterer, or being a slightly different brand of Christian, or not being Diana, Princess of All Our Hearts, or some other guff.

People were frothing at the concept thirty or so years ago, but I guess it wasn't that important after all.

11 hours ago, BTFD said:

I've noticed that Chuckles' missus seems to have blagged the title Queen Camilla after all. Many moons ago, I'm sure I remember there being some agreement that she'd never get that title due to being a divorcee, or an adulterer, or being a slightly different brand of Christian, or not being Diana, Princess of All Our Hearts, or some other guff.

People were frothing at the concept thirty or so years ago, but I guess it wasn't that important after all.

Before getting together with Diana, Dodi Fayed had been in a long term relationship with Claudia Christian (Ivanova in Babylon 5).

Spoiler

claudia-christian-06.jpg